Your Favourite Christmas Song

The original version of this has always been the very best for me, played on the morning of the 25th December every year. Here it is performed by Greg accompanied by Ian Anderson.

Greg Lake + Ian Anderson
I believe in Father Christmas

3 Likes

‘O Holy Night’ sung by John Berry.

‘O Holy Night’ was the first album that he released in September 1995 after he had major surgery to have a tumor removed the year before. On the same day that “Your Love Amazes Me,” hit No. 1 in 1994, Berry underwent surgery to remove a brain tumor that was benign but had been wreaking havoc on his life for months causing a severe personality change.

A beautiful version of ‘O Holy Night’ is the last track on that album. In a interview at the time of the album release he mentioned that his voice had changed slightly after the surgery and was concerned at the time he was recording.

Give a listen and I do not think you will be disappointed.

The track is available on Qobuz. Track 10 on his ‘O Holy Night’ album.

Also find videos on uTube.

We’ve already had one Christmas and busy getting ready for the he second this weekend. I had to Google Junior Murvin, I’d never heard him and noticed it’s the second time someone has mentioned him in replies.

1 Like

Lou Rawls does my favorite swinging version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

1 Like

It has to be Wizzard, “I wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day”.
I was 11 years old when it was released and I was a huge fan of Wizzard and it still brings a smile to my face!
https://youtu.be/IJPc7esgvsA

3 Likes

I’ve ended up listening to ‘The Best Christmas Album in the World’ as a result of this thread! Most of the suggestions seem to be on there.

Merry Christmas Peter. It Is in the song how to make gravy

1 Like

The Beverly Sisters’s 1959 rendition of Little Donkey doing the rounds in our house with the young ones.

I detest that song. I hate it more than any other piece of music, including Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” and Spandau Ballet’s “True”. Listening to it is like being stuck in a lift with a particularly malodorous dosser.

I know some people like to think that it is somehow “edgier” than the usual Xmas fare, but it is maudlin, full of hideous Oirishisms (sung by a public schoolboy) and full of treacly sentiment. It’s insufferably obnoxious, just like all the Pogues’ music, and I have no idea why Kirsty MacColl, who seemed to be quite a sensible lady, chose to get involved in this musical and lyrical catastrophe.

1 Like

Don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel!

1 Like

Let’s get back to some of that good old Christmas spirit and expect that we can’t all agree but we can respect other peoples choices.

2 Likes

But, secretly, you really, really like it, don’t you?:grin:

Roger

1 Like

“One Christmas For Your Thoughts” by The Durutti Column. Beautiful.

Just checked the lyrics I can’t believe I missed that, I’ll go and hide now. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

One of Junior Murvin most famous tracks is Police & Thieves. I like to think Paul Kelly is referring to this song in How to Make Gravy. One of my number one Christmas songs to play over Christmas especially today the 21st of December.

1 Like

How to Make Gravy is such a great track.

1 Like

Gosh, speaking of cartoons here in North America I can’t believe I forgot to mention one of my favorite Christmas Albums basically I love every track but this is my favorite.

2 Likes

My favourite Christmas song remains Johnny Winter’s “Please Come Home For Christmas” - specifically the version from the album “Hey Where’s Your Brother?”. It’s remained my favourite ever since I first heard it in the early nineties.

Driving home for Christmas by Chris Rea always makes me feel good. Hitting the jackpot with a Christmas ‘Worldie’ is a great way to ensure a comfortable retirement! Chris must have made more from that song than the entire rest of his career is my guess. He deserves it.

1 Like

Also ‘Fool if you think it’s over’ might be generating a few royalties still but I agree, you think Chris Rea, you think Driving Home….

I just can’t believe how long I’ve owned his albums!