Your Most Interesting Live Album

You’re absolutely right, Clive, Live/Dead is a fantastic album.

I was lucky enough to see The Grateful Dead once - about 1990 at the Empire Pool, Wembley.

2 Likes

I have to admit to not being very keen generally on live albums, other than with classical music & opera, turned off by early experiences in my music collecting career (and indeed the worst album I ever bought was live). I therefore do not have many. Trying to pick “most interesting” is a challenge - it depends what one means by interesting! I think it is probably this:

Memorable as the last gigs with Geoff Mann as singer, also because I was there. Recording quality is variable, but generally quite good. I originally had it as the vinyl double album, but more recently replaced with the “definitive edition” remastered by remaining members of the band with extra Geoff Mann tracks missing from the original.

Classical and opera are different, partly because there is no definitive reference studio recording for comparison, and partly, perhaps, because the attention to recording quality is usually paramount with planning for it, as opposed to the recording being more incidental as often seems the case with rock music. I have quite a number of classical and opera live recordings, but they don’t stand out as different apart from the presence of applause at the end of movements/acts, and never any irritating shouts, wolf-whistles etc. For this reason none came to mind when trying to think of the most interesting live album.

1 Like

Not sure it’s a great album but he’s still great live. Once saw him ask for the jukebox to be turned down as it was louder than their two amps on milk crates.

7 Likes

He’s still around and was touring with Ian and Morgan Fisher just before the pandemic.

2 Likes

Yes it was great to see he was back on stage with Ian and the wonderful Morgan Fisher.

2 Likes

I believe I was actually at the concert where this was recorded. They were a great band along with Marillion and IQ that emerged in the early 80s. I have the original album but did not know that there is a remaster. Thanks!

Two from me:

The OP wanted ‘interesting’ (not best) which the Modern Lovers album most definitely is. Never seen Richman, more’s the pity.

Available on Bandcamp or Twelfthnight.info. I was there both nights IIRC.

Somehow manages to be chaotic and unbelievably tight at the same time, the studio LPs are great but what a live band they were.

14 Likes

Even better imho.

G

12 Likes

G

3 Likes

There are three live albums that stand out for me. Two are rather obvious, and great recordings of excellent concerts, and the third might be something that antipodeans are aware of…

First up, dress Can Dance’s Toward the Within. The video of the concert is amazing, showing a group of talented performers building music from acoustic instruments that sound very natural.

Next up, Portiahead’s well known Roseland NYC Live album. In many ways, these versions of the tunes feel to be the authoritative versions.

And finally, Niel Finn and Paul Kelly’s Goin’ Your Way. Recorded at the Sydney opera house, it showcases Neil’s better love songs, and Paul Kelly’s amazing story-telling song writing.

1 Like

Is there any other live rock album apart from “Live at Leeds” by the Who ? The full set is brilliant. Only 3 instruments plus vocals making such a full sound and so much energy. Amazing. Original vinyl packaging is also fantastic. May be not audiophile quality but it blows your socks off.

20 Likes

Not a live album in the sense of a single concert, but one made up from performances on the road, including hotel rooms. Some tremendous songs anyway, but there is a real sense of life on the road. Probably the first album I really got into and thought it was great on first listen. The cover was also framed on the wall in Mork and Mindy, so an early example of album art - showing my age!

10 Likes

I’ve been meaning to post this one and I agree entirely about its superiority over Waiting for Columbus.

1 Like

Famous for the forgotten lyrics and the unbelievable scatting on How High the Moon.

One more - I don’t now if it’s the “most interesting” but it sure rocks.

There was a rumo[u]r at one point they would release the whole concert, but it did not come to pass.

3 Likes

Recorded live in Berlin in March 1962, this finds Ella and her band on top form. The recording portrays the intimate setting and is of astonishing quality. Although not a AAA recording as the master tape was transferred to digital somehow the vinyl brings something to it. Well worth a listen, you are transported back in time. Amazing!

5 Likes

Okay… that sounds really interesting. Thanks!