Your Most Interesting Live Album

@GraemeH - the version of “Midnight Rambler” on that album is definitive IMO!

1 Like

Great live album by Peter Green’s Splinter Group.

5 Likes

Absolutely…the way it’s right on the edge of falling apart yet it holds together…just.

G

3 Likes

Here, from our local paper is bit of early history of Luther Grosvenor. ( Bender). Quite interesting.

3 Likes

You really should if you ever get the chance. Hasn’t written a great song since Bohemia but goodness the live experience is a joy.

To be honest Live recordings are not my cup of tea and have very few in my collection. From the ones I have my favourite is Steely Dan as below. It is a good-sounding LP but not as good as the studio albums. This is rather the point for me although I enjoy live music while I am there, listening to a live recording usually sounds a poor second and less exciting than being there.

5 Likes

I think maybe you were replying to the post before mine?

Some of my faves:

516p0iqruDL.UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85
unnamed

I have this on blue ray, one of my most played concert discs for sure.
IMG_0390

7 Likes

Just bought this ,

An historic live recording from Bayreuth

1 Like

Interesting - because it was recorded across 4 different tours - and rather wonderful because Jackson has a cracking repertoire of songs & is an excellent musician. Because of the format you get different versions of some songs, including a lovely a cappella version of Is She Really Going Out With Him.

7 Likes

UFO: Strangers in the Night.

1 Like

That one is a given! :sunglasses:

1 Like

The album, and the story behind it.

516RgHycN3L.UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85

1 Like

The full Carolyne Mas concert at my fathers place is on tidal.I agree it’s a cracking concert.

1 Like

Does not get any better than this.

16 Likes

Hello, Ian. There was another ‘live’ Furtwængler recording of Beethoven’s Ninth, which Walter Legge (Furtwængler’s producer) preferred to the famous 1951 Bayreuth recording - I think that I have it on CD (on the Tahra label) in another part of my house.

Furtwængler’s unexpected death before he was able to record the Ninth meant that EMI had to release the Bayreuth account to complete the cycle, but this was after Legge had given up trying to secure the rights to release the other recording. I will check the details and post an update.

As it happens, I bought recently the latest (2018) Parlophone reissue of the Furtwængler recordings, but I haven’t played any of them yet.

2 Likes

A weird coincidence. Loved The Sound. Saw them live with the Bunnymen and the two handers with the Comsat Angels. Always hated the live recordings as they seemed to catch little of the intensity and much of the scratchy tinniness. Just been on the search for the new book about Borland and boy is it a struggle to find it. No luck so far.

“It’s as hot as a fox in a forest fire”.
Great album that I played to death in my teens and still play now 40 odd years later.

Likewise.

G