Your Most Interesting Live Album

Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner - great music/lyrics and a stand up comedy show between songs!
Favourites I attended or at least saw the tour:-
Lou Reed - Rock n roll animal -(Birmingham, UK) mesmerising and his best band ever assembled as mentioned earlier by someone re lead guitarists - I’ll add Prakash John on bass.
Neil Young - Rust never Sleeps/Live Rust - I was at Madison Square Garden gig 1978 and the box office lady gave me a ticket for a dollar as that’s all I had on the day of the gig.
Finally a concert that changed my life (mentioned earlier)
June 1st 1974 Ayers Cale Nico Eno - I attended as a Bowie/Reed/VU acolyte but my life changed when Kevin Ayers walked onstage for the second half of the gig.
I’d never heard of him but was blown away by the aura, lyrics, music, etc etc - my favourite all time ever “rock star” RIP Kevin.

2 Likes

Well, I’ll ask.

1 Like

Cream - Wheel’s of Fire - Live at Fillmore East. Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker at their best!

5 Likes

From April 26th, Amazon or “Sounds Haarlem”.

BTW: “In The Hothouse” scratchy? :scream:

1 Like

That is true.

Electric Light Orchestra - The Night The Light Went on in Long Beach.

Thanks Graham,

I had never really heard of Furtwangler until earlier on this year, found him on the Presto website, read up on him on Wikipedia, very, very impressive

Best wishes

Ian

Cheers Mike. Appreciated. Hothouse is one I’d missed so I can’t comment but will be listening sometime this week.

Do. It’s a good recording that was “tidied up” from two nights at the original Marquee club in Wardour street.

“Will and Testament” is a recent release compiled from recovered tapes and I think the SQ is actually superior to the other album, apart from three songs from our second-to-last gig at the Paradiso in Amsterdam in 1987 that our engineer did his best with but still sound a bit rough but I included because they were at the time, brand new songs that we didn’t get around to taking forward to a proper studio recording.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Neil Young and Crazy Horse live in New Orleans for Farm Aid 7 in September of 1994. Got great version of Down By The River, and Dylan’s All Along The Watchtower.

4 Likes

I was surprised that nobody has posted Freddie and the boys, yet!

It’d better be me…

QUEEN Live Killers

And Gazza…
Gary Numan, Living Ornaments - Live LP

…and maybe those (daft) French Helmets! :joy:

(DAFT PUNK)

1 Like

Richard and Danny Thompson 'Live at Crawley Jeff Beck ‘Live in Tokyo 1999’ Snarky Puppy ‘Live at the Royal Albert Hall’ Joni Mitchell ‘Shadows and Light’ Pentangle ‘Basket of Light.’

5 Likes

I shall check it out :+1:

1 Like

2 Likes

That Ella in Berlin album was going to get my vote. “How High the Moon” is probably the best scat performance on record!

I would also nominate Tony Bennett’s Live at Carnegie Hall.

IMG_4136

3 Likes

A great post @Neil0001, I do love a good live album too!
There are some great albums suggested here, some I have, some I know of but don’t have (yet) and some new ones that I will have to follow up on. Anyway I wish to add 2 more.

Firstly, Ry Cooder & Corridos Famosos Live in San Francisco.
An absolute delight of an album, where you actually feel you are there. Yo can really feel the atmosphere, hear the crowd talking and moving. Rys interaction and patter in between tracks and then there is the music, my oh my!

Then there is Patti Smith, Easter Rising.
This is a great stripped back, raw, full of energy live album, warts and all. There is even some heckling which she stands up and deals with! I just love it!

6 Likes

Thanks for the ideas and the feedback. My live album collection stands at about 160, and will grow as a result of this thread. I particularly like the look of the Patti Smith offering… I shall be investigating that one. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My collection is not as large as yours but it too will grow as a result of this thread!

Definitely, if you like Patti Smith, especially from that time (Easter), it should hit the spot. I tend to skip the first track, it’s more of a reading and go straight to track 2, Babelogue / and the song we are all not to mention any more! You know the one.

It’s mostly a mix of Horses and Easter with a sprinkling of a few other pieces, while the Easter tracks are full on! It finishes with a tremendous cover of The Who’s My Generation!

Thanks Neil :+1:

The Stones - Live at the Wiltern.
Recorded November 2022. Jagger’s voice sounding as good as ever. Great SQ and track list in a more personal gig than the stadiums they played on the Licks tour of that year.

2 Likes

Beast of Burden - Mick seems to think it is Beast of Barden.

1 Like