Your Watch & Naim

Here is a very nice affordable watch. The Casio G-Shock Ga 2100. I bought two of them. One to wear in stock form, and the second one to mod.
Here is the Casio with the AP Royal Oak mod for me to assemble.

Here is the finished product:

16 Likes

My IWC Mark XVIII, the watch @Haim thinks makes me look like a tourist in Florida. It’s working rather well in a rather more sophisticated place, just south of Mâcon.

13 Likes

New today. Always fancied a second watch (my Submariner date bought for my 40th is my pride & joy) to be worn now and again for a change. Looking forward to it gently darkening with a patina.

26 Likes

I part-exchanged my Omega Seamaster Professional quartz against this Panerai back in March. I’d owned the Seamaster for 11 years and worn it every day. I managed to get £800 more than what I originally paid for it which I was amazed at considering it was the entry level Seamaster.

The Panerai was pre-owned, but in immaculate condition with all of the original boxes and papers. I’m really enjoying it, but only wear it when I’m out and about. I’m now looking for a cheap daily.

13 Likes

May I recommend a Seiko Kinetic Autorelay?

I’ve worn one for 20 years and in many ways the best watch I’ve had

( still, for me, the best sub 700€ watch)

3 Likes

IMHO no reason not to wear the Panerai daily. It’s a “tool” watch and honestly ideal for daily wear. If it gets a few scratches so what. And scratches can be buffed out IF you really want at some point.

4 Likes

Definitely, it just looks so new! Just waiting for the right time to wear it.

1 Like

Hi Bart, I get that it’s a tool, watch, but if I’m not doing my day job I’m more often than not working on our house. For example this weekends job is shifting, raking out, levelling and compacting 12 tonnes of hardcore. I don’t feel comfortable wearing the Panerai in this this type of environment, but a sub £100 G shock or Swatch would be perfect.

Nice Panerai. The white dial makes a change.

I find the rubber strap quite uncomfortable when it’s warm. Maybe get a nice leather strap?

Perhaps a second hand diver of some kind? Seiko or Orient Star?

4 Likes

For som reason I thought of the Angry Birds

3 Likes

I think the IWC mk XVIII is too expensive. But I like it. IWC uses a movement that are based on a Selitta SW300 movement inside. You will find the same movement in much cheaper models.

The Sinn 856 also uses the same movement and costs a third.
https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/856.htm

Based. Not equal. And the level of finish is miles away. As the rest of the watch

As I understand it, IWC do extensive work on the movement, but yes, it’s not an in-house job. It’s hard to say if something is too expensive; things just cost what they cost and it’s for each of us to decide if it’s a price we are happy to pay.

6 Likes

A trend of the last decade of so.
In the golden age of wristwatches the large majority would be supplied by third parties.

And you’ré right HH. Your calibre is built to IWC specifications

1 Like

Lovely watch and perfect size HH.
I like ‘unfussy’ watches (that’s why I’m not keen on Breitlings!) and this certainly fits that description.

Anyone here got an Explorer 2? I’ve seen lots of Rolex ads for it lately and the smaller case size appeals to me. (Deeply aspirational interest only).

I once had one and very nice it was too. It was the original version with the 40mm case. The current one is 42mm and therefore that bit more chunky. The original is perhaps a bit more discreet. I had mine on a blue leather strap for most of the time.

7 Likes

Hi, Have you even considered a “Lefty”?

I have a slim wrist and the lefty PAM is just a too big for every day, plus for use with a keyboard i.e. work

I also have a lefty Citizen Diver watch, on a rubber/ plastic strap, which can get properly wet.

Don’t get my vintage divers, Seamasters etc. wet as they are not properly sealed or tested for water ingress as the Citizen is.

1 Like

I’m jealous.