Your Watch & Naim

I really like the overall design, shape and colours of this watch but the detailing is rather spoilt by the cut number 12 and especially the cut number 6 - which looks rather odd to say the least.

This style element didn’t work well on one of the other models either, with the cut number 10.

A triangle at the top and smaller one at bottom would be neater

9 Likes

The cut 12 and 6 have been a talking point since the watch was introduced in 1998. People who don’t like the cuts presumably won’t buy the watch.

1 Like

I’ll take ‘nicely understated’ any day of the week.

G

16 Likes

A true classic.

2 Likes

Out of interest Nigel, where do you trade in your watches ?

It was done with Watchfinder. I fully realise - before people who think they know best chime in - that I could have got more by selling on eBay but it was quick and simple, and they are really nice to deal with.

3 Likes

Thanks Nigel - I don’t use eBay so that’s useful info.

I quite like them. Something different.

I wouldn’t say it is different, both my 46 and 65 Longines have the 6 cut in half by a small dial.

First thing I thought when I saw Nigel’s watch was it reminded me of the 65 Longines. Raised silver numbers and the cut 6.

I’ve only just noticed the tiny rings on the small dial. The rings aren’t visible with the naked eye, but obviously the effect caused by the rings is visible.

17 Likes

The finish on that sub dial is lovely

1 Like

That Longines is very lovely indeed. With watch companies being around so long, and limitations on what can be done, you are always going to get similarities. My IWC has the same circles in the sub-dials, and brushing on the rest. It’s a really interesting finish - in the shade it’s virtually black, but in the sun, though it’s hard to get a decent picture, the green really comes to life. Very Naim!

8 Likes

Looking on u-tube at the servicing of a Rolex day/date watch (£30K) I was struck with the similarity, to me, of pick-up cartridges although even more parts go into a premium watch.
When you see all the bits spread out in front of you its not surprising that a service via an AD has a quote “from £500”.
One of the things highlighted is over lurication of the mechanism.

1 Like

I saw a TV travel documentary about that. (It could have been the Michael Portillo one)

Literally the tiniest drop (applied using a microscope) on only 4 of the teeth of a 30+ toothed sprocket. He did 5 and they had to start again.

Amazing attention to detail,

A news tangent.

I can’t believe the headline writers didn’t seize an opportunity…’The Great Escapement’ :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

A premium watch repair, any watch, is not for those without the necessessary skills.

1 Like

There are also shades of blue between 6 & 8 and a tinge of blue at 10

I have to admit, the reason why I was absent for a couple weeks was a project at “the watch department”. I am very simple: It is always about watches, pens, hi-fi. Watches, pens, hi-fi. Watches, pens, hi-if …

Again I picked a Japanese masterpiece and kind of an icon:

I always lusted for a Seiko Marinemaster. For years I thought it would be way too large.
The result: It is huge indeed, but I don’t care. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
I finally did it! Very happy with it …

Now I am back in the world of hi-fi. (The pen should arrive within the next weeks …) :joy:

21 Likes

Which pen did you order? I have the same interest in fountain pens and watches

1 Like

İt is the best and looks great in blue

Altough it is large still looks quite compact even on thin wrists

1 Like

That’s the spirit!
Beautiful watch and a happy wearer - what more is there to wish for?

1 Like