Your Watch & Naim

Is your ‘46 one of the dirty dozen?

Edit: I’ve just seen post 1446 and see that it’s not, but I assume it uses the same mechanism.

Oh, actually I have not ordered it yet. I am going to travel to Japan in a couple of weeks and I thought it would be a nice idea to buy a Sailor pen there.

1 Like

Clive

I don’t understand the Dirty Dozen reference.

My 46 longines, is actually my Longines that was manufactured in 1946. it has a 23M calibre.

11 Likes

This is an internet picture of the Longines military watch made for British military during WWII. Twelve Swiss watch manufacturers (hence the Dirty Dozen) were commissioned to supply. Prices for these, particularly those manufactured in lower volumes (esp. Grana, but also JLC, IWC, Longines) are now reaching astronomic figures, particularly when you consider it was a fairly basic spec. But that’s collectors for you. There are only a few complete sets as far as I’m aware.

13 Likes

Thanks Clive,

That’s useful information. I’ll keep a look out for those when I’m visiting my local auctions. Although now almost every auction is online, it’s more difficult to pick up a bargain.

Show us your backside

G

2 Likes

If you insist.

10 Likes

V nice!

G

Backside request.

11 Likes

One more exciting than the other

12 Likes

I’ve wanted a Portugieser off and on forever. One of those watches I never got around to owning . . . yet!

I had a similarly-cased perpetual calendar model, but I was unwilling to keep it on a winder or deal with the re-setting process so sold it off.

I’m really pleased with it. With no date to worry about it’s very simple to live with.

Think I need a service for my IWC. Shipping water amongst other problems. Can’t wait for the bill :flushed:

4 Likes

Backside request (though not much to see).

10 Likes

This is my Pilot’s Watch Mark XVIII’s bottom. It’s interesting how it’s evolved from your lovely Mark XII.

5 Likes

I love this. It’s one of a limited edition of 58 and has a reverse exhibition case back with a piece of the drive shaft of the Aston Martin DBR1 that Stirling Moss drove in the Le Mans. It’s made by Zero West in Emsworth, and they have the rest of the drive shaft in the showroom. It’s a 44mm and chunky but it fits me surprisingly well, rather to the surprise of one of the guys who are Zero West. I’m very tempted to get saving! It’s such a nice thing.

5 Likes

we need to see the back then!

1 Like

I should have thought of that. Not the actual watch obviously but it looks like this. It’s much nicer in ‘real life’ of course.

1 Like

This thread has lost horology and now dropped into the abyss of novelty.
Shame. :-1:t2:

I posted a pic of this a couple of years ago. It was my father’s daily and only watch from 1948 until he died in 1999. ( It is serial numbered for 1946). I wear it sometimes but not enough really. It is, I think, 34mm, which shows how much watches have grown in size over the years.

It had a major service by Rolex in the late 60s I think, hence the slightly more modern face. I do not remember him having it serviced again but I might be wrong. I had a local dealer clean the face and regulate it about 20 years ago.
I got it up and running again at the beginning of last week and now nine days later it is still within 15 seconds. ( I do not lie).
I occasionally toy with selling it to go towards something nice for me, instead of my cheap quartz thingy. But I think I would feel awful selling it.
I think it is amazing for something over 75 year old.

30 Likes