Your Watch & Naim

Today’s wearer. Mission to Saturn on a rubber Wristbuddys strap, replacing the original velcro strap.

13 Likes

Are you sure that is still the case? Last week I walked past the Rolex shop in a local mall, and the window was full of the regular stainless steel watches like the Sub, DateJust, etc. I year or two back the window was either empty or only had gold bejeweled watches that were not in demand. The lists may be much shorter than you think.

They are likely to be just display ones and not working to get you in the door…

They are exhibition models that lack a working movement (in some cases) so are merely display pieces to represent product and not reflective of availability.
They allow an AD to demonstrate a model to a customer but are subject to strict rules as to how those models can be used and can certainly never be sold.
The Rolex sales model is based specifically on a total lack of availability to create an artificial exclusivity.
They actually manufacture and certify approximately 800k to 1m watches per year based on unofficial estimates.

I can assure both you and Hifi-dog that the they were all genuine working watches. They were in fact all running and set to more or less the right time when I looked. Someone had taken the time to wind them up and set them. I have been in the shop to have a bracelet adjusted back when I still owned Rolex watches. Friendly staff.

2 Likes

Fair enough!

Since COVID Rolex stores have stocked their displays with exhibition only models. Supply is improving on the majority of models though and it’s really only the SS professional models that are hard to get.

Now-a-days they are all working pieces. They get sold once another arrives but typically not until then.

1 Like

Don’t quite follow … according to above … either they make these vast numbers of watches available to their customers every year / or they are adding to a decades old watch mountain and incurring vast inventory costs. I suspect the former.

2 Likes

They make vast amounts of watches that are readily available to their customer base. The artificial scarcity story is normally from those people that were unable to just walk in and buy a Pepsi GMT or SS Daytona both of which are genuinely very difficult to acquire. It’s funny how many none Rolex owners have many anti Rolex stories.

1 Like

Sounds like a contradiction to me. They either make a million watches or they don’t, they can’t both be true.

1 Like

I’m not sure why people get so excited about Rolex. This little article is rather good.

Nonsense. Try buying one.

What does Covid have to do with the manufacture, supply or sales of Rolexes? As far as I know, watch making continued in Geneva!

Some of the comments in that Rolex article are, frankly, ridiculous. The Rolexes I’ve owned, I bought because I like the watches (as was the case with other watches I’ve had). I didn’t need to have a encyclopaedic knowledge of each models heritage. People like Rolex because they make great watches. Other brands are available…

2 Likes

I’ve bought four

1 Like

Nothing. It was after COVID. Where did I mention it was because of COVID?

Well, the only conclusion I have come to about Rolex owners on this thread is that they are quite defensive and a little bit grumpy :wink::rofl:

3 Likes

I’m definitely grumpy

2 Likes

Jaeger LeCoultre owners aren’t grumpy. Lovely people.

19 Likes