Your Watch & Naim

Didn’t bug me ‘til you mentioned it…:wink:

4 Likes

Since I couldn’t see anything that explained or clarified that statement in the remainder of your post, I didn’t perceive any context that I was taking it out of. I still don’t.

But, not to worry. I’m happy as I am, wearing my watch as it pleases me to do so. You carry on.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate your advice.

:slightly_smiling_face:

I realise this is quite an old comment now but I’ve only just seen it.

I am a volunteer at The Royal Observatory in Greenwich where the Harrison sea clocks are on display. I deliver talks on the history of the clocks and the amazing life story of John Harrison. I’m an ex ship’s captain and navigator so the Longitude problem and what John Harrison did to solve it are subjects close to my heart.

If any forum members are planning to visit The Royal Observatory and are interested in hearing my talks just let me know. And - yes - the precision engineering of Aro and other hifi components has a few common characteristics with John Harrison’s work, albeit 350 years apart😀

Just to be clear…… the 4 Harrison clocks are on display at The Royal Observatory and not The National Maritime Museum.

PS……I would also concur with the recommendation to read “Longitude” by Dava Sobel. It’s a marvellous book.

Oh……and just to align with the subject of this thread here’s what’s on my wrist today:

18 Likes

Beautiful!
I like the grren dial a lot!

Agreed, GS dials are striking.

1 Like

Lovely.

1 Like

Wow. I visited the Royal Observatory this morning and had an excellent guided talk about The Royal Observatory including the Harrison clocks.
It was superb.

4 Likes

Oh great. That talk would have been given by one of my colleagues. I’m one of ten volunteers and one of us is there every day. I typically do 4 or 5 days a month. I’m pleased you enjoyed your visit. It’s fascinating isn’t it?

4 Likes

Absolutely fascinating. I think the chaps name was Paul. He was really excellent.
I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Four of us went in all and everybody really enjoyed it.

Yes, Paul is superb. His knowledge is amazing.

1 Like

Something a bit different: Bespoke Harold Pinchbeck of Lincoln. Swiss movement, left hand, bespoke dial and engraved rotor.

16 Likes

And then there is my dear old Breitling.

10 Likes

As a matter of interest, am I right in thinking that any (or most) watches could be changed to left handed? (presumably the face needs to be changed)

1 Like

The difference isn’t the face, it’s that the crown is on the left, with different mechanicals inside to link it to the mechanism. I’m left handed and have always worn a watch on my left wrist, ever since I was given my first watch as a boy.

I was thinking the same. It wouldn’t work with a date window, but might work for a basic hour/minute/second display, albeit the winder would not work in the ideal direction. Of course it might also depend if the lugs on the back of the dial fit the other way around.

Yes, I realise that the crown is on the left - so from that POV just swapping the strap round so that the watch is ‘upside down’ would sort that out. The problem then is that if you then turned the face through 180 degrees, the minute and second hand would not line up correctly at 12 - but that should be sorted out by just taking the hands off and re-aligning them.

Yes, day/date would be a problem - unless you could get replacement date and day wheels (whatever they are called) with the days and dates on upside down.

That is what I asked the manifacturer to do - rotate the dial 180 degrees and swap the leather straps around. That wouldn’t work with a date window or other complications, or not without major reworking of the discs/mechanism underneath.

2 Likes

Very clever, and a very simple solution.

1 Like