Your Watch & Naim

An IWC pilot mark xvii day to day at home, a Tag Heuer for cycling, skiing, swimming etc, a Jaeger Le Coultre Hometime for travelling and a Patek Philippe for ‘best’.

2 Likes

8 Likes

My Milgauss is back from being fixed, the problem being over lubrication apparently. It had a full service and polish and now looks good as new. It’s a total scratch magnet and won’t stay like this for long. No Naim to hand, so here is a Neat Iota.

11 Likes

Nice!

G

Snap. I do like this watch. It’s the best Monaco they’ve done. I would still like an original one though.

10 Likes

Perfect location for the watch.

1 Like

Have a few watches but I often wear this Omega F300 Electronic watch. It’s often called a hummer tuning fork watch because it makes a faint humming noise. The watch is from the 60’s so the Omega blue sharkskin watchstrap is new.

9 Likes

Rolex UK dealers are on a factory waiting list for their “Professional Range” which includes their most popular model, the Submarriner for up to two years! I enquired about 3 weeks ago.
So discounts might be a little difficult to obtain?

Douglas.

Used to collect watches… now just down to one. Omega Speedmaster.

31 Likes

@Douglas next time you are in there ask what the waiting list is on a ceramic daytona …

A Nomos Tangente and an Omega Seamaster. But then again, I am not a typical naim owner.

2 Likes

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control

31 Likes

Nice Speedy, such a timeless design.

1 Like

I was quoted 8 to 12 years wait at several dealers for either the black or white dial Ceramic Daytona, most have closed their books. It was their nice way of sayin’ get lost. Unless you have previously built a relationship with that dealer by spending $150k+, there’s no chance of scoring one at retail. Cheaper to just buy a new Daytona from a grey market dealer if you want one that bad (I think currently about $25k USD for the white, a little less for the black). I don’t see any sign of a slowdown for the demand, the price keeps rising. Personally, I think the Patek 5711 is much nicer.

1 Like

@Aren yep, exactly my point, 2 years wait for a sub is nothing compared to a ceramic daytona !

1 Like

To think just a few years ago dealers cases were full of Rolex sports models, now they’re bare to the bone.

My Tag Heuer Carrera gains about 8 seconds a day and it has done this since I bought it new two years ago. I did ask the dealer I bought it from about it but they told me that was well within tolerance. I haven’t changed it since the end of BST and it is now running about 3 minutes fast.

A standard quartz watch should run with an accuracy of about 100 seconds a year.

The main problem is temperature variations. Mine seems to be better than average even though this past year it has seen temperatues from -40 deg C (Canada) to +50 deg C Oman). Keeping it on my wrist and beneath shirt sleeves and down jacket sleeves probably helps. At the moment its about 3 seconds fast compared to when I set at the end of BST. I’ve had it for about 25 years.

I continue to contemplate a Very High Precision watch, eg from Longines etc. These are designed to maintain a consistent temperature around the quartz film and movement, aiming for an accuracy of better than 5 secs per year.

But then, I keep looking at my GPS time and think, even 5 secs a year is a bit rough and ready.

In other words, a watch these days, isn’t much more than a piece of jewellary !

1 Like

I agree that the Rolex waiting lists don’t look like they’ll get any shorter any time soon. Rolex just don’t have any incentive to free up more supply.

I bought a Submariner almost 10 years ago at a local Rolex dealer, when I simply walked in off the street and asked if they had one available. They did, I paid and walked out again in less than 40 minutes. Without paying around £7-£8k now, that just won’t happen again.

I still have the watch, keeps great time and (fingers crossed) will never sell it. But if I want a GMT/Daytona/etc, without paying well over retail, I may as well forget it!

2 Likes

Rolex are just being “smart” and whipping up a storm. Another hobby or mine is buying and selling watches, more for the fun of it and experiencing different watches. I have had many over the years, going back to an ETA movement Daytona and also a new ceramic one. Too be brutally honest they are both overpriced massively for my tastes, but it ties in with the other thread about production costs and value. I have quite a few guys that I deal with and all I get asked is for Rolex. You can buy a nice jaeger, it is worth roughly half of rrp but is probably a nicer watch but the Rolex (assuming the right model) will be worth rrp plus a decent slug straight away. I have owned some quite expensive watches while I have been trying to sell them and nobody blinks an eyelid. I wear a 5k sub and nearly everyone says “nice watch”. Fantastic branding and marketing ! Just one more thing, I was in Dubai last year talking to a dealer I use and he had a limited edition Richard Mille that I was looking at, nearly a million quid watch and it had a Velcro strap and was as light as a feather, now that was a watch that had some markup, I don’t care about what sort of fancy carbon it is made of !

1 Like