Discuss Volume Mode options NDX2 to NAC252

Soooo, I have my new NDX2 and my new NAC252 up and running. I would love to solicit comments, feedback and experience PLUS recommendations for the the 3 Volume Modes that are available (via the Naim App): Hybrid vs Fixed vs Variable. and if variable what should I set the Volume output at? I stream Tidal HiFi, Naim Radio, AirPlay and my Uniti CORE.
Cheers!

Set it to fixed, use system automation and use the 252 to control the volume. You have a great preamp and the variable output of the NDX2 is not needed.

2 Likes

What HH says.

As above, I use a ND into a 252 via system automation works a treat

explain - what is “a ND”?

Probably short for NDX 2 or ND555

what is the preferred method (step by step) of connecting the NAC252 to the NDX2 in order to achieve automation? The manuals are a bit unclear.

Maybe someone wants to write an answer again, but if not you will find it in the following threads (probably more if you search for system automation).

I short, any old RCA (for 252) to 3.5 mm headphone jack (for NDX2) cable, mono is fine, stereo works (in this case connect the left, usually white, channel to the 252).
Enable System Automation in the app settings.

thank-you!

Good luck. Ask if you run into an obstacle, but it should all be there in the other threads.

Be aware that when system automation is enabled you will not be able to show the volume slider in the app, just the volume buttons. This is because system automation has no way to tell the NDX what the current volume is and you might change it with the volume knob on the unit, so it cannot show a slider with a particular position, only more/less with the buttons (which instructs the motor in the 252 to turn the poti right or left)

Personally, I find the buttons and slider cumbersome, so I use the remote for volume.

There is, by the way, also this current thread discussing whether the downsides (or not) of the variable control really exist:

Sorry to be so thick But I need some clarification in terms of the correct connections on the back of the NDX2. I can’t seem to locate the 3.5mm remote output that is referred to by some of the respondents of this query. It’s easy enough on the back of the 252 preAmp. It is referenced as the RC5 in.
Is the proper connection on the back on the NDX2: The 2 analogue RCA outputs L/R on the right back side? OR one of the digital inputs #3 or #4 OR another connection…i.e.the IR out?
appreciate the experienced clarifications…for this old guy on the other side of the pond.
Cheers!

Sorry to be so thick But I need some clarification in terms of the correct connections on the back of the NDX2. I can’t seem to locate the 3.5mm remote output that is referred to by some of the respondents of this query. It’s easy enough on the back of the 252 preAmp. It is referenced as the RC5 in.
Is the proper connection on the back on the NDX2: The 2 analogue RCA outputs L/R on the right back side? OR one of the digital inputs #3 or #4 OR another connection…i.e.the IR out?
appreciate the experienced clarifications…for this old guy on the other side of the pond.
Cheers!

Yes I know it is confusing that it says IR. On the other hand it’s the only place a 3.5 mm jack will fit (I hope :slight_smile: )

1 Like

got it! makes the more sense…just confusing nomenclature.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and input. Cable acquired (RC5 to 3.5mm), set me back a whopping $9…proper connections made and verified with each component. All is now automated between NDX2 and NAC252. I must admit…I am quite pleased with the ease and the control of the function. Plus it is much easier to micro control the volume level…with either remote or the app…much prefer the PreAmp remote for this function. This is a great forum with very helpful and knowledgeable members! Enjoying some Grant Green, “Idle Moments” on this Sunday.
Cheers!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.