Firmware update v. 3.7.0

If so why do i need 3.7.0 firmware…i’m not using Tidal…using only my library music, i care only for better sound even i`m still happy right now

1 Like

Just imagine being a software engineer tasked with writing code constrained by the impact the execution has on sound quality.

The entire basis for the endless cable debate.

I’m running the beta version (so I won’t say too much) and to me the app and my streamers have been running without fault for months. As for the SQ I think it’s as good or better than I can ever remember. So far it’s a big thumbs up from me.

4 Likes

If’ve found that nd5xs2 sometimes awakes itself in the night.
Looks like it is a bit eager to the music :slight_smile:
However, his relay is a bit loud I should admit

There’s also many fixes, see list:

Well as surprising as it may seem, the Naim product development engineering teams did, and may still have, a method of optimising software instruction execution timing such that they can fairly reliably act as a crude tone control with the perceived analogue output. This involved things like carefully timing when to read and write back to memory, load registers etc. By doing this one was changing the noise profile of the voltage lines, ground plane and electromagnetic fields caused by the digital electronics… and as we know changing noise profiles, or what is often termed noise shaping, often alters our perception of the audio ‘quality’

1 Like

Oh, I hope it’s not in the bedroom? :wink:

Hmhh. Interesting observation. Could be some device scanning the network, and triggering the streamer to wake up?

I once also had “funny behavior”, when I switched from Ethernet to WiFi (needed the cable for another device) - on 5 GHz it produced interrupts and un-asked-for actions, due to the router switching frequency on behalf of the wheather-radar-avoidance or channel-occupation-monitoring.
I moved the Nova to the 2,4 GHz (I run different SSIDs), where nothing funny happens. (And throughput in this case is totally sufficient for any streaming still.)

It is in the bedroom - that is how I discovered this fact. I will try to check if it is related to one of the applications I use, Tidal and Naim.

I’ve given it a few days. I only have a one Naim product in my system, an ND5XS2, the rest are Exposure and Russell K. So i may have a different eperience to the all Naim systems. Also, in terms of this forum my setup is kinda entry level!

I cannot discern a difference in the SQ. Of course its not possible to do A/B comparison. But nothings made me sit up and think oh thats different.

As there are so many replies already, I am not sure if this has been discussed before. I updated my Nova a couple of days ago to 3.7.0.5270 and since then I am experiencing unexpected reboots when playing music streamed from Qobuz. I tried different titles and resolutions, but it seems to be a general problem. I didn’t experience it yet when streaming with UPnP from a NAS or when using AirPlay.
@Naim.Marketing, has this been reported before? Any idea how to nail the problem down by checking logs? I already checked the file system with the web client (http://naim-uniti-nova/webclient/) but couldn’t find any?

No reported problems with Qobuz that I know of - certainly working fine on my Nova and ND555, and I know several of our beta testers are Qobuz users.

Are you running the latest version of the Naim App (there was a 5.22.1 iOS update today - as you mention AirPlay, I assume you’re using an iPhone/iPad; if not, Android 2.22.1)? And have you restarted your phone/tablet?

Try those things first.

If you’ve already done that… try a full power down of your Nova. I know it’s rebooted, but that’s not the same thing - try disconnecting from mains power, waiting @15 minutes and then reconnecting.

Let us know how you get on with that. Or, of course, you could go straight to our support team, whom can check logs etc.

No problems with Qobuz before or after the Firmware update.

To be honest i can never tell any differences from any of the updates, apart from the larger text. Using my streamer is the same as it’s always been (musically speaking).

1 Like

@Stevesky @Naim.Marketing

Hello Clare and Steve,

First thank you for your help and support. Providing support and replying to complains/requests on a public forum is a rather delicate thing.

I understand version 3.8 of the Firmware is on its way.

While it shouldn’t be a problem, I ask anyway: is it possible to bypass version 3.7 and update directly to version 3.8?

Thanks @Naim.Marketing for your fast response. I try your recommendations and come back to you.

BTW, I just have been upgraded by Vodafone to a Fritz!Box 6060 WiFi 6 router with active network management and according to what the router says the Nova supports IEEE 802.11v but not 11k. Might the reboot problem be related to the network management by the router and playing Qobuz just a coincidence? Any experience with Uniti in WiFi 6 networks?

Paging @Stevesky

Active network management should usually kick in, when you are multiple, meshed access points. And usually for “mobile;moving” devices, so that the mesh can steer the clients towards the best access point at any time (and do so quickly/smoothly, to not interrupt any ongoing activity).

That said, I switched to a Fritz!Box 7583 in January, which does not have WiFi 6 yet, but some other new features (like WPA3, which the Nova works fine with).
I actually switched from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz WiFi with the Nova, since I got drop outs / stopped streams (but never reboots), when the channel optimization/weather radar avoidance switched channels on the 5 GHz band. And the Nova needed a bit, to reconnect.
(Mention this, as it is in the direction of your question.)

To all I know: yes, should be no problem. (Imagine a box coming from storage being shipped to a new customer with a bit older firmware.)
Just make sure to have the latest app before venturing forth.

There was recently a case here on the forum where this did not work; but the Atom in question had been in storeage since 2017. :joy: Naim support helped with a manual procedure.

That’s why I’m asking.
Having some knowledge of software engineering, to say the least, I know that mistakes and oversights happen :wink: