Firmware update v. 3.7.0

Murphy’s law I’m afraid.

Firstly, glad your server issue is sorted. Sometimes you need a touch of patience while all the elements realign after an update.

Secondly, i’m going to tag @Stevesky in here re the Chromecast/Sirius issue, as he’s the expert on both Chromecast and radio streaming.

1 Like

Hi @Project-G

I’ll ask the test team to do a check on this combination. The Chromecast feature is supplied by Google as a black box so it’s very hit and miss app compatibility wise. Typically it reacts like that when the custom java applet loaded by Sirius uses all the cpu time and beyond in the product. The applet code only works reliably if the cpu is muiti-core.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

2 Likes

Yes, let’s remember the sound presentation will nearly always subtly change on firmware changes, especially with the analogue signal out on the streamers. This is down to the noise shape profiling due to code execution timing in the Naim design.
This subtle change may well present itself differently in different systems due to speaker room reflections etc … so it is very rately when ones looks back at the years of firmware upgrades mentioned on this forum that everyone agrees on the subtle sound changes is positive or negative for a given firmware… and indeed sometimes some people prefer to stick to a firmware version just because the way it sounds in their system.

5 Likes

Many thanks for that Simon. I was certain I could notice a difference in SQ but was unaware of how it could come about.

Very happy with SQ after update. So much detail, tight bass. Love it. Kudos to Naim

4 Likes

True, but I think the key word here is “subtle”, and many posts about perceived changes are attributing decidedly non-subtle changes to firmware.

1 Like

And yet … in the past, it hasn’t been possible to revert back to the previous firmware version, which means risking applying the upgrade with fingers crossed.

I’m unsure whether firmware upgrades are reversible these days.

I’ve done the latest one on my streamer, and can’t hear any difference, though it does rather beg the question “What if I don’t like the sound as much as before”?

You can reverse firmware changes on the legacy unitis and streamers, but you can’t on first or second Gen muso nor on new Uniti or the new streamers.

Naim want you to be on the latest firmware as that is what they have certified as compliant with the various license agreements and what they are supporting.

Best

David

Correct. We can only ensure third-party streaming services and functionality (eg AirPlay; Chromecast) are working as they should on the latest firmware, which will include updates to those elements from our partners (Apple, Google, TIDAL etc)

Whatever you have done with 3.7 I’ll stick with it. It has provided a very significant and unexpected improvement in sound of my ND5 XS2

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing but had almost convinced myself that it was just my imagination. There’s a song in there somewhere!

2 Likes

Well I’m really enjoying the extra features afforded by Tidal Connect, especially the ability to fully appreciate the lyrical genius of one’s favourite tracks…

Seriously though I reckon I’ll be sticking with Quboz for the longer haul. Not least because Chromecast streaming from the Qobuz app now seems much improved.

In fact that’s now sporting a ‘Connect’ logo. Which begs the questions - is a fully-fledged Qobuz Connect option on the way, and if so what would that offer that’s not available via Chromecast now?

2 Likes

You are the first to tell us of improving SQ… good news…most here think the opposite

1 Like

During beta testing, there was a clear agreement amongst those testing it, that the last couple of betas sounded particularly good.

Best

David

2 Likes

Not if you read the full thread…

Anyway, let’s check all is as it should be: have you rebooted all elements (App; phone/tablet; Naim device) as advised?

1 Like

Really sorry to hear that

I repeat my question in case anyone has the same problem:

Nothing I have heard elsewhere: could be good to email support@naimaudio.com for their insight

Just one thing; since you reconnected the HD have you given it time to re-index the contents?

1 Like