Insane new pricing in Australia

Don’t think they have any……usually have Naim vinyl or cd’s

Ha ha Pete’s not into either of those :crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

Mine aren’t. I had to call it quits several price hikes ago. The Yen has taken a bad turn in recent years. An NPX300 cost nearly twice what my SCdr cost new in 2014. Things like that sort of make the decision for you.

Luckily, I want what I already have. The current state of affairs for everything you can buy from a 500 system down to a loaf of bread means that trying to have what you want might lead to frustration. Better to be content with what you’re already lucky enough to have at times like these.

9 Likes

IIRC, Aussies pay no import tax on anything they have owned for 6 months. Given the above pricing, it’d be cheaper to fly to the UK twice - first to buy and second to collect.

If you need somewhere to leave a boxed 300 system or s/h 500 system for 6 months, I’d be happy to help. Others may also be willing.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m only familiar with the EU/UK customs and France rest of world Import regs as per other post.

1 Like

Well it’s seems it’s official there is a new distributor in Aus/NZ and the locals aren’t going to be happy.

3 Likes

Yes it’s a bloody mess Pete

2 Likes

Oh my……

1 Like

Madness god knows what was going to happen to the pricing not to mention service back up and repairs.

2 Likes

This quote explains a few things….

“The two French brands have a checkered history in Australia, NA Distributors the New Zealand based distributor was stripped of the Naim and Focal brands in early 2019‘

1 Like

A complete stuff up going back 3 years

We probably don’t know the half of it

Disappointing is a very polite way of putting it

1 Like

I can’t believe that Naim haven’t mentioned it and reassured the customers about service repairs etc.

1 Like

The brand may well be terminally damaged in NZ and Australia now. Certainly the glory days of NA, and their passion and promotion of Naim won’t be repeated again I believe. It’s pretty sad, but not so surprising.

5 Likes

@Pete_the_painter

Can’t believe that comment in the announcement that Naim and Focal shipped product to the distributor that wasn’t ordered

Gut tells me it would have been the other way around

2 Likes

To be blunt it’s greed that’s got us to this point. It was greed to sign a distributor that promised to sell more than they could (apparently this was made clear). It was greed that then they stuck us with a 40% price rise only to devalue everything because of excess stock. It also shows a complete lack of knowledge of their market.

2 Likes

Yep

I’m so pissed off being a loyal customer of Naim in Australia since 1980 but also for the Naim brand overall

And I feel deeply sorry for long time Retailers like our friend Harry here in Sydney

Bloody mess , Naim have a lot of work to do to regain customer confidence that’s for sure here and in NZ

7 Likes

Some odd things were happening at the time the distributer changed. In NZ NA took “last orders” of a whole bunch of stuff. My 250 was part of that order. Then NA couldn’t get delivery dates and I was eventually told that Naim weren’t fulfilling the orders and to go to the new dealers. Which I did, ordering a 250 from them. Then the following week NA received a whole bunch of stuff, including the 250 I had ordered from them, and I had to tell them I couldn’t take it, as I ordered another through the new dealer. Then suddenly the new dealers had stock of higher classic gear stuff like a new 300 DR, when NA always had to get that stuff on order-only from the UK.

1 Like

Along with a bit of the big company walking over the small local niche businesses as well. Different cultures (meaning the French venture owner, not Naim as such) and ways of doing things, now we see the consequences.

1 Like

Don’t think it’s Naim or Focal it’s just corporate venture capital at it finest (not).

3 Likes

I’m not so sure about it, I even completely disagree.

If Vervent was really just about the money, they would have taken drastic changes earlier. I think they have a long term focus which for them indeed does give a good return on investment (think pension funds etc) rather than quick money.

If Vervent and Focal were really ‘evil’, we would never have seen the new products now appearing which strongly bear the Naim signature.

I think its just populist Focal / French bashing what happens here.

2 Likes