Installing lms-to-upnp Plugin to Roon enable NDS

I have now resolved the pink noise issue I had. I got the Ethernet adaptor I ordered and connecting my MacBook via Ethernet resolved the issue. I can play MQA up-to 192kHz OK now. I will try to do proper listening to see if there are any benefits. Tidal has the CD Versions of all MQA albums, so this should be easy to do.

So I conclude from that the issue was related to bandwidth limitations because of Wifi.

Thanks all for your support to fix this.

Thanks.

Chaps.

I now have speaker cables and confirmed I get no audio. I also see no track progress bar but it thinks its playing on this display attached.

Any ideas?

Cheers

It also has same result if I enable one of me Sonos devices as Squeezebox

I found the solution in another thread in case useful to anyone else. Was an error in the config file:

The key item that was blocking it from working was the line:

<roon_mode>1</roon_mode>

In the default config file the value is set to 0 and it needs to be set to 1.

DPH,

Yes, the room_mode settings you found is required to enable the plugin for roon. You may also want to look at the sample_rate settings (see above posts) if you want to play higher resolution files.

Thanks.

I’ve been following this thread and its variations for some time, and today I decided to try lms-to-upnp. The advice has been useful but three hours later I’m pulling my hair out.
I’ve made sure that I have the correct privileges but I still running into problems with messages like: “command not found” or “no such file or directory”.
The OSX terminal is frustrating to use as it keeps loosing the correct directory. Is there a better terminal app out there?

The terminal app is pretty solid on Mac tbh, it’s strange that it’s losing the current directory.

If you want to recap what you have done so far and at what point you get an issue then will try help if I can

I’m trying to install the software on a Mac mini. Subsequently, I tried to do the same on a MacBook Pro. I have had partial success on the MBP, but it does not discover any of my Unitiqutes.
One issue I’ve found is that both computers have two sets of directories for ‘applications’; this may explain why I managed to install it on the MBP.
I won’t fiddle about anymore this evening. I’ll tackle it fresh tomorrow. Thanks for any observations.

Ok…it could be that problems such as “command not found” or “no such file or directory” are down your PATH definitions. Most often if you are in the correct directory then placing “./” before the command will cause it to execute correctly.

Anyhow shout if you get stuck, ATB

1 Like

Thanks - I noted that suggestion before and it worked on the MBP but not on the Mac mini. Something to work on tomorrow.

Success - partial at least. lms-to-UPnP working on my laptop for all Naim endpoints (4xQutes and NDS). But I still can’t get it to work on the Mac mini. I’ve yet to compare this with the hardware solution from Audiostore, but I’m well chuffed.

Thanks to all for their help and encouragement on this forum, especially @trickydickie and @Jack.

I’ll work on the Mac mini problem another time - off to celebrate with a pint (as long as the road is not flooded on the way to The Bull in Inkberrow.

1 Like

Excellent, glad you got it up and running

1 Like

Have just got this working on my windows PC with few problems. A little wrinkle - The best way to run it on Windows, I reckon is to install the exe as a service. The easiest way to do that is to use a software program, such as NSSM, which installs and manages services.

Many thanks to everyone on this forum who helped with this!

Thanks - still have problems with Macmini
I get it installed then run the file again only to find ‘error when reading socket’, this is repeated until I stop the terminal. Now I’m out of my depth!

Are both machines effectively configured the same…same Operating System level, both connected via wired (or wireless), no VPN setup, no other significant differences?

Also did you follow exactly the same setup procedure, if not, do you recall what was different?

Thanks for the quick feedback.
MBP is running High Sierra and the Mini Catalina.
I first started on the mini and tried both multi and multi-static to no avail. I then moved to the MBP and got things to work.
I went back to the mini and tried again with a different directory, which worked partially. Except for the terminal socket error.

As you probably know the software has been primarily tested on W7 and Linux, I doubt it’s ever been tested on Catalina. However, don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work on Catalina.

Socket errors are normally associated with network related issues. I’m just guessing here but I would be thinking along the lines of trying it again but trying some combinations along the following lines…

• make sure only the wired network interface is enabled at boot and try running again
  • try switching the firewall off
  • make sure the config file on the MBP and the mac mini look reasonably similar, nothing really obviously wrong
  • switch off any AV software that might be running
  • remove the “lmstoupnp” software completely from the mac mini and start again

I’m assuming you have the same rights and permissions on the mac mini as you have on the MBP and that relevant lms files have the same permissions

Failing all that and if you still have the motivation you probably need to start up the “console” app and start reading through the log files and looking for associated messages that help you pin the problem down.

BTW…where is the Roon Core running?

I have mine running on MBP Catalina with no issues.

Never come across the socket error. Buy is looks like something silly. Keep at it. I am sure you will resolve.

I suggest you post screenshots of your error logs here. The more experienced eyes you can get to look at it, the better.

ASenna04

Thanks for the hints guys (@ASenna04 and @Jack).
Just poured myself a cup of tea and going to tackle the beast.
I have the Roon core on three devices: Audiostore music server, MBP and Macmini. The black box is a hardware solution feeding my NDS, theMBP must be approaching it’s first decade birthday and is usually just used for ripping, the Mac mini is my work machine.all except the MBP are wired into my network. My music is all on the server, with copies dotted around the place in a couple of NAS and on the computers. I should be content with Roon on the MBP as I can use it now to play to the Unitiqutes, but it’s on its last legs, hence Macmini (although that is 8 years old).
Anyway time to see where it’s at and probably a reinstall.

Good question - and one that I’m also struggling with.
But how will a Roon trial decide that?
Surely you need to compare an NDX2 in your system vs a hacked NDS?
But has anyone ever made that comparison??