Interesting TV

About a week ago , some good crowds , especially at Lords. Yesterday both games went to the final ball

Clashing with test cricket?

Yes, but Sky just switched channels, the Test cricket was at Nottingham and the Hundred at Lords, Cardiff and Southampton ( if I recall correctly) .

Different markets, it is noticeable how many families go to the Hundred :100:, especially youngsters to the women’s games. The ECB have got their marketing well planned .

all venues hosting a Hundred can offer an afternoon and early evening match

1 Like

Yeah but all this short formats seem to damage test cricket’s survival. I get the money thing but test cricket is cricket to me.

2 Likes

An episode of the old 1975 BBC series ‘Jazz Ship’ is now available on i-Player. Lots of footage of Lionel Hampton and band plus some welcome footage of the Cannonball Adderley Quintet with Joe Williams (sadly, Cannonball was to pass away not too long after the filming).

2 Likes

Interesting statistic: 90% of funding comes from short form, 91% of that from IPL. India receive just over 50% of funding, most of the rest goes to test playing countries (not sure the formula is but Eng and Aus get a lot.

I understand that for the first time ever a touring team will receive fees in addition to their accommodation etc.

Thanks for the info, I liked the first couple of free episodes but not enough to purchase the series… will wait for it to drop to free.

1 Like

Monday evenings are back on BBC2, Mastermind, Only Connect, University challenge…

7 Likes

And Call My Bluff at 9:00 on BBC4!

5 Likes

Great hat trick of new quiz series, which is welcome after the domination of the Olympics, but a looming sign that the end of British summer is rapidly approaching (new series of Strictly is my bellwether) with autumn and Christmas on the horizon! :scream: I love the outdoors but good telly and decent music is my default panacea until next spring. :grinning:

Followed by ‘Going For A Song’ with Arthur Negus !

3 Likes

Missed that (used to love that show as a kid (Frank Muir et al) as continued watching BBC2 at 9, but for anybody who appreciates nature documentaries and may have missed it,

100% recommend “My Tiger Family”,

which is a touching account of a passionate tiger conservationist from Delhi who has devoted over 50 years (to date) of his life to preserving tiger family populations in north west India, particularly the wonderfully beautiful Ranthambore Fort reserve.

Fantastic historical account, amazing footage and beautifully constructed conservation message by Valmik’s long-term friend and film producer Mike Birkhead.

Impactful 60 minutes, that leaves some wonderful memories of a life’s dedication and a glimpse of some hope for the future.

PS: Will catch CMB soon on iPlayer - thanks for the heads up.

4 Likes

Some stuff I watched and enjoyed. No idea if it has been mentioned earlier in the thread though, so apologies if they are repeats:

The Gentlemen on netflix
Silo on apple tv
Dark matter on apple tv
3 body problem on netflix
Supacell on netflix
Blackbird on apple tv
Hijack on apple tv

2 Likes

Tim Hollier was on last night - I need to have a listen to his music.

‘Call My Bluff’ last night had Miles Kington on one of the teams. Brought back memories - I used to see him on occasion scanning the CD racks in the little jazz CD shop in Bath, sadly long gone. Came in from Limpley Stoke on his bike ! Only after he had sadly passed on did I realise it was him (a bit of a hero if mine with his Franglais invention).

1 Like

They all looked quite glamorous - maybe the lighting or the 1970’s BBC make up department.

Bit of a shock seeing Miles Kington smoking - those were the days.

Frank Muir was coughing a bit when he lit up - obviously not impressed !

4 Likes

I watched some of the BBC Proms last night with Sam Smith. I had always thought that the proms was a celebration of Classical Music.
To be honest I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. It must have ticked nearly every tick box the BBC currently use.

5 Likes

Really looking forward to the second series of Sherwood. Starts on BBC1 at 9 o’clock this evening.

2 Likes

Not for years. The Northern Soul show in 2023 was brilliant.

2 Likes