What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Being educated in classical music by a friend of mine. On YouTube, but have a copy of some Chopin on CD coming next week to listen to properly:

Very evocative and powerful, although the video makes it very distracting when you’re trying to already listen to a complex piece.

Very enjoyable, though!

4 Likes

8 Likes

Til Tuesday - Everything’s Different Now - CD (1988)

11 Likes

Sunn ((O)) on CD. Fearsome drone metal shaking the house.

6 Likes

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Relaxing after finishing the ironing. Sounding great.

29 Likes

Heads up gang, on dear old Beeb Four, at 20.30 tonight.

" In July last year the audience at the Royal Albert Hall whooped and danced their way through a euphoric celebration of 30 old and often forgotten soul tracks that weren’t “good enough” for Motown, but were loved by our northern club crowd. This is another chance to see the BBC Concert Orchestra — conducted by Edwin Outwater — with its cracking horn section and a superb line-up of singers smashing out tracks such as Dobie Gray’s Out on the Floor, Frank Wilson’s Do I Love You? and the Trammps’ Hold Back the Night.

It shouldn’t have worked but it did. The place was buzzing like a Saturday night in 1970s Wigan."

Be there, or be square. :+1:

8 Likes

Saw this and it was great.

1 Like

After a 15 mile bike ride …time to get on the sofa with a nice coffee with no guilt
R.E.M - Reckoning

15 Likes

First up today Steven Wilson, Hand. Cannot. Erase on vinyl.

Purchased on Wednesday in Newark and upgraded this morning to a self funded Father’s Day gift, as notified to me by Mrs Q this morning. I guess I’m not really surprised…:man_shrugging:t2:

16 Likes

Guns n’ Roses. Compilation.

I enjoy this once in a while. Slash is excellent.

8 Likes

A first play for this Kate Bush album and really enjoying it great basslines and guitar work
Great stuff and really relaxing will definitely be playing it again
Kate Bush - Aerial

30 Likes

It’s a lovely album TC, even if the songs are a little on the unusual side, but Hey! It’s Kate, so what do we expect :man_shrugging:t4: :joy:

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning record…just a shame that when she ‘revoiced’ the painter, she opted for Bertie who doesn’t fit it at all. I sold my remaster and kept the original because of it.

3 Likes

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk - CD (1970)

14 Likes

Yes I was thinking just that after hearing a song about a washing machine :sweat_smile:
Now on to the 2nd CD and lovely musicianship which dovetails Kates lyrics
Its got so much atmosphere…sort of transports you to a place in Kates vision for the songs.

Seeing your Steven Wilson posts often here.I know almost nothing about him but I know he has a great reputation musically and as a producer and remixer
A mate recently sent me a video on YouTube with Steve talking about Dolby Atmos to John Darko.
I thought he came over as a very knowledgeable and intersting guy
Can you recommend an album of his to listen to ?
I dont stream but can easily play it on my tablet through the stereo off YouTube.
Happy Fathers day mate

Cheers Ian

3 Likes

Ian, A good place to start for Steven Wilson is

Hand. Cannot. Erase.

To The Bone

Im sure @QuickSticks will provide a more comprehensive list :+1:

Gary

2 Likes

In your defence, those two Simple Minds albums are excellent. :wink:

1 Like

You’ve got to love Mrs Bartolozzi (the Washing Machine song) and Pi is another one from that album that makes me smile…:blush:
In answer to your other question, where do you start with Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree:thinking:
Solo I’d suggest either Hand. Cannot. Erase or The Harmony Codex. As for Porcupine Tree my 2 favourites are Deadwing and In Absentia.
He has also collaborated with so many other great artists, so you could spend a long time sampling all the various facets of Steven as an Artist.
Then, as you mentioned, he has Engineered/Produced/Remastered so much music for others.
He appears to be one of the hardest working people in the business at the moment.
I hope you enjoy exploring the wide variety of his works😊

4 Likes

Oh, how can I have forgotten To The Bone :face_with_peeking_eye:
@Cmax is bang on with that being excellent @Tabbycat , but then I don’t think there is a bad album in any of his vast series of back catalogues…:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Thanks very much for the recommendations …much appreciated chaps
Looking forward to giving them a listen …writen them down so no need to have loads of scrolling back trying to find them :smile_cat:

1 Like