Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

Just plugged in an XPSDR to my 272/300DR. Wow, didn’t expect such great improvements since it seemed to be 555PSDR which was what was needed. Bass is so much more well defined and controlled. Details and dynamics have improved greatly and music just flows around me and everything seems more relaxed. It’s like putting on glasses and see much better. It never ends does it… :man_shrugging: :sunglasses:

Now I just need the 372. Speed up!

3 Likes

(Just browsing )and one thing occurred to me: if I received a coin for each post regarding the 272 substitute … :fire::partying_face:

Blown away with what XPSDR did with my 272. Bigger upgrade than 250DR to 300DR. Problem? It’s so great I wonder how the 555PSDR can top this… Especially when it is claimed to be much better too…

Don’t worry, it can. The step from 272/XPS to 272/555 is far bigger than that from 272 to 272/XPS.

This is kind of funny or maybe embarrassing, Mike, but I just noticed your reply to this question of mine from 10 months ago. For me, it’s actually still current because I haven’t progressed to the new digital tech yet due to Covid. I guess I got distracted by the burgeoning pandemic, and just dropped everything. I think maybe, it was more that my wife suddenly began working from home, and my daily routine was thoroughly disturbed.

I did pick up an SN2 and an NDS, both pre-owned, in great shape, and at some point I’ll want the new digital boards, but probably not till Qobuz is available in Canada. I’ll have a read of the other thread you referred, and thanks again for your experienced thoughts on this.

Take care, and I trust everything is going well with you and yours, while the world is getting vaccinated. There’s no undue side affects to the vaccine so far, in Canada. So that’s good.
Cheers.

Dave

Funnily enough, I’ve actually moved my systems between rooms now, as I moving to part time work and wanted for accessible system time: you can read about that here:

Here in New Zealand there is no community Covid at the moment, or vaccines, which won’t reach the general population until July anyway. We’d be low risk anyway I think.

1 Like

My wife is moving to part time work as well, Feb 1st. That’ll be nice.
It’s a lot of work moving systems around but usually well worth it. My back is always sore for a few weeks afterwards. Best of luck with the repositioning.
Glad to hear you guys are so safe down there.

1 Like

Hi all another big thankyou for supporting the push for a 272 update. I am delighted at the response and I really hope the level of interest will be apparent to the Salisbury team (personally I am pretty confident that this is being noticed). So happy new year stay safe all - and keep showing the interest and love for the amazing 272 … cheers Rich

2 Likes

I’m a relatively new 272 owner. Is 4.7 the latest firmware? I see Naim Radio choices on the app of 320kbps but I heard it’s available on lossless. Any suggestions as to how to make sure I’m receiving the highest available resolution?

There is a dedicated thread on the newer HD stations. If I’m not mistaken, only available on the newer platform products without a work around

4.7 is the latest. The new high res stations are new platform only.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was given an XP5-XS power supply and although discontinued it does seem to make everything quieter and sound better. Would a 555 PS be a worthy upgrade or am I better off spending my resources on a new streamer or preamp/streamer when one becomes available? My listening is almost exclusively streaming Tidal or Quobuz. What would you all recommend? I like the idea of the built-in streamer Naim offers. Otherwise my current path is Tidal-MacBook Pro-iFi Micro USB 3.0-Audio Mirror Tubadour III-SE-272 via analogue input-250DR. Thanks.

1 Like

The PS555 transforms the 272 into another level. So yes it’s a worthy upgrade and can then be used with the potential 272 replacement or with one of the new platform streamers if you end up going that route. I’m sure @anon4489532 will agree

Indeed.

Hear hear

As you are only using the 272 as an analogue preamp, I would buy a dedicated analogue preamp instead. Then either carry on using your existing DAC as a source, or buy a dedicated streamer. The current Naim streamers do a great job with the (mostly) 24 bit material you get on a Qobuz lossless subscription.

I’ve decided I’m going to keep my faithful old NAC-272 and in 20 years start a thread about how lucky I was to own one and what a great bit of kit it was. :grinning:

4 Likes

Count me in!

Hope this hasn’t already been mentioned, but I’d be surprised if Naim don’t replace the 272. In the current range the only device that can use the XPS DR is the NDX2. Not so long ago it was the Dac, most of the CD players and all the ND streamers. To me you would think they are decreasing their sales opportunities, not increasing.
And in a perfect world my 272 replacement would be like a NDS, you could use a XPS and then upgrade to the 555 and be able to use both power outputs.

5 Likes