Swapping systems between rooms

Wonderful, thanks, and you have a TT on the top shelf?

Yes, the Rega is on top.

1 Like

This is sort of what I hoped would be the case for you. When it’s set up in a larger room there are so many other elements that will interact with the sound, reflect it etc. Especially a family room that can’t be turned into purely a listening room. When you get up close and personal with it, you can avoid the interferences from other furniture etc.

I found in the smaller room where I was a lot closer to the speakers, it felt like the sound was bigger than in a larger room, it seemed to surround me more. The soundstage and imaging became so clear and lifelike… it was like you were at the edge of the stage and they were right in front of you.

Now… in your own space you’ll be free to tweak and listen as much as you like :sunglasses: Enjoy :+1:t2:

Thank you so much for your help. I’ll post an update once I have more time with it and get a rack ordered. The rack will have to be ordered from the UK, so it will be a month or two before it finds its way to New Zealand.

Yes, and quite lovely with a well recorded Blu-ray concert on the big screen.

2 Likes

What about two short stacks of Fraimlite or Quadraspire with the TV across the top? That’d still allow you to use the SL cable. Can’t remember is you have a turntable - that’d have to be on it’s own stand/table to one side!

That’s a good suggestion thanks. The large TV has the stands at each end, so it needs the large cabinet and I’m not keen on wall mounting it. I could put a full rack or two lower racks where the boxes currently are, but the SN2 needs to be behind the right speaker for the SL cable to reach - as I have it currently set up. I’m not sure that’s ideal, but it certainly sounds pretty good with the current set up. I do have a TT to accomodate at the top of a rack too - so 5 shelves at least. Otherwise go with a single rack where the NDX2 is positioned and revert to the NAC A5.

1 Like

I know it’s not always possible, but less components or furniture you have between speakers, more the sound is open and free flowing.

1 Like

@Mike_S, as you have heard and liked some Heed gear, have you heard the Heed Abacus dac? My friend who bought the Heed Elixir / Innuos Zen mini is wondering on it.

1 Like

Mike,

Here is Richard Dane recommendation for the length of the speakers cables.

Personally, I would not use less than 3.5m of NACA5 with the current Naim power amps (the integrateds and all-in-ones may well be happier though). I felt the power amps also sound better with 5m or more per channel. With the minimum of 3.5m the sound was just a bit “edgy” whereas everything seemed to flow with much more ease with the longer lengths. FWIW, I use 10m of NACA5 per channel with my own NAP250DR.

My S/L is 3m I think, the A5 is 4m. I ordered the Fraim Lite today. My dealer thought either have it as clear of the speaker as possible and use the S/L or put the SN2 in the TV cabinet with the rack further clear of the speaker. I think I’ll do the former.

1 Like

No, but I have the Heed Daculius, which I ran off my Blu-ray player to the Heed Canaot. I find it very engaging and musical, quite a Naim type presentation. I’m sure the Abacus would be a good match with the Elixir.

1 Like

You’ll no long be suffering from Fraim envy. Don’t forget to now order some glass.

1 Like

I already have 4 glass shelves with nuts and balls :sunglasses:

Mike, you have a very big house and probably your children not anymore living with you . I am a bit indiscreet, but is it not possible for you to have an other place for the office ?

You could make a wonderful audio dedicated room with that place.
Just wondering…but I am not at your place.

1 Like

Hi Sweetie. Our house is an average NZ size, about 195 square metres. Our daughter is 12 and will likely be home for another 10 years. That leaves us one spare bedroom, which we use. Otherwise there’s the garage next to the office / music room, that has the laundry and our little pool table area and not that suited as an office.

The use of the office with the music space will work fine and can be fine tuned as I work less. We are away this week and when I get back I might change my large work desk for the smaller one I moved out and take out a small cabinet, just to limit the furniture as much as I can.

1 Like

Ok, all well. Now I remember your young daughter. Ah, memory, memory.
Waiting now for your new Fraimlite to come :+1:

1 Like

I have had another go at the room configuration, moving out the large desk and using the smaller desk in the right back corner. This frees up more space around the speakers and I’ve a nice immersive soundstage enveloping the room.

I even have a spare spot for the TT now, but it will move to the Fraim Lite when it arrives - this will go where the NDX2 is, as far away from the speaker as the SL speaker cable to the left speaker will allow.

Very happy with the how the change is working out :sunglasses:

7 Likes

That’s great news. It’s surely good to have some clear space around the speakers for optimal results although there will be limitations especially with smaller rooms where speakers will be closer to the furnitures, equipment rack and/or walls.

1 Like

Much better now :+1:. I like your sofa, very nice. How would you compare the sound now vs the lounge before ? But maybe I already asked before…

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve just ordered a matching footrest to go with the coach.

It does sound very good, but it did in the large room too. The main difference I would describe is being more immersed within the soundstage - like you are in the music. And movies are like full surround sound.

1 Like