Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

Not sure if it breaks the rules but I paid £3.5k for an original 555DR, already owned a Powerline and kept the burndy from the XP5XS, the dealer who purchased the XP5XS had spares.

When I owned the XP5XS I used a full fat Powerline on this power supply but even using the supplied mains lead is a rather nice improvement to the 272, took a 555DR for me to change.

All power supplies were used in conjunction with my existing 250DR.

I had the XP5XS at first it really made no difference at all.

All you need is a Cisco 2960 and some Blue Jeans Cat6a cable…

1 Like

@Mike_S
I’d also like to go with the current streaming tech at this point. Right now I have a Superuniti, which sounds very good. So it’s amatter of whether I stay with a one box format and move up to the new Uniti Nova or go for a 2-3 box system.
When you upgraded from the Uniti Nova to the SN2 and NDX2, was it a big jump up? And did you also get a power supply?
I think my CDs sound excellent thru the Superuniti because of the Linn Reference player I’m using. It’s a Unidisk 1.1 with a Dynamik power supply upgrade. But really, every source I listen to sounds great thru the Naim. My rebuilt Kef R107s have never sounded better, and I used to run cj tubes and an Ayre amp. So I’m thrilled that I made the change to Naim.
Anyway, Mike, if you could give me an idea of the sound difference on your upgrade, it may assist my efforts to direct some superfluous cash to such an endeavour.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Dave

1 Like

Hi Dave,

Yes, all good fun isn’t it? I still have the Nova, it now lives in my media room/home office as a second system. If you want an all in-one system, it really is very good - as always, system synergy with the speakers and room comes into play.

But yes, the SN2 and NDX2 is a significant step up - as one would hope at twice the cost. I have since added the HiCap and XPSDR, so my two box limit has expanded to 3.5 - these things happen… Then I added Powerlines and Superlumina and fine tuned the ethernet side of things, and it is all very nice.

So, to answer your main question, the SN2 and NDX2 was a significant step up for sound, and my speakers liked the extra current over the Nova. It’s a great system with the NDX2 really being the jewel - it’s a world class streamer with Naim PRAT.

If the 272 is updated to the new tech, that gives an alternative low box count route. I think that then comes down to source versus more amplification, so a bit system dependant maybe.

Have fun and good luck.

This thread may be of interest to:

1 Like

Bump.

Tick tock, tick tock.

Absolutely agree, I wanted minimalist and searched for a DAC with a volume control purposely to add to my active speakers (one box soon became three however but my system is still small and neat).

Would be happy to more in detail hear what XPSDR do to 272 :blush:

Only one way to find out .

1 Like

Is it not simple to make an upgrade?
It is a stand alone cartridge inside I believe.
Then it is possible to change it, not?

No, it’s a bit more integrated than that, especially when it comes top overall firmware, so upgrading an old NAC-N272 to the latest platform is not a straightforward job - it would need a more extensive re-design.

It would be nice if they build a new n272SR and it would be possible to upgrade a old one. Just like the amplifiers to a DR version.
For that they also switch complete main boards.

1 Like

In readiness for the inevitable lockdown in response to the C19 global hysteria, I’ve taken the only sensible precautions possible. I’ve ordered a server that stores my music collection and also operates as a powerful Roon core, Roonifying my 272 over the network (via inbuilt Sonore bridge). Alternatively I can connect said server directly to a 272 digital input and use Roon or Squeebox into the 272’s DAC. Will be interesting which is the better option. I just hope my 555 also arrives before the madness begins. Better than loo roll!

3 Likes

Thanks all…for the replies and kind thoughts…perhaps there will be some traction I am still hopefull :sunglasses:

I hope so too, but admit I gave up waiting and bought an ND555 instead.

2 Likes

Wow…that’s an upgrade well done!!! What preamp are you using???

Ok NAIM, given we are all stuck at home, now would be a good time. Just saying… @Richard.Dane perhaps you could give them a little nudge?

1 Like

Maybe they have decided to retool it into DAC, Streamer, Pre-amp and non-invasive Ventilator. That will help with the hangovers from all the Aussie red I am going to put away while confined to barracks :nauseated_face:

Those Aussie reds will certainly help pass the time. :+1: