Making way for 500DR

I’ll give it a couple of weeks and you will unbox your precious NAP500 again.

Note: The picture is not an illustration of HIFIman.

5 Likes

He sold it!

1 Like

I boxed up the 135s quickly so although they have been loved, time to go. Same with CDS2. The Nap 500DR is a special amp.

I don’t mind selling my hifi stuff on. If it was whole lot and left with nothing would be different.

The 552DR are still holding their prices. I would obviously like one but timing of funds not quite right yet. :rofl:

A 552DR with 250DR or 300DR is probably better balanced than my 52 500DR but that’s where I am for now!

3 Likes

Oh I thought he boxed it for sales but couldn’t sell it at the price asked. No regretting then :slight_smile:

1 Like

As they say better to have had and lost than never to have had at all! :wink:

3 Likes

None at all, this is my second 250DR but I’ve owned several 250s over the years (CB, Olive)

The 250DR must have been assembled by a top notch Naim engineer not some Friday afternoon job as it sounds absolutely superb. Using a Powerline and I managed to find a Witchhat Morgana stereo DIN to XLR for sale (rare as hens teeth) the whole package 552DR, 250DR is so enjoyable I dont miss the 500.

6 Likes

@HiFiman what speakers are you using and did you change them when you changed from 500 to 250?

SL2s throughout

I guess making that sort of change will be dependant on speakers. Glad it’s worked out for you :+1:

1 Like

I’ve always felt a 52/500 (non DR) is a sweet spot. Even better with a DR. I wouldn’t be in any rush to change the 52.

Likewise, I think the NDS has to be one of the best bang for buck streamers money can buy.

1 Like

It depends on listening habits as well. I often listen to music loud. I found the 250CB used to cut out. The 135s were brilliant but could have done with a tad more power. The 500DR has effortless power.

I think sometimes with hifi it’s an itch to scratch. Many on here have had big 500 systems and then gone to a 250DR or 300DR.

Early days for me and the 500DR is not warmed in and settled yet. And of course the absence of a 552DR means it’s potential isn’t maximised.

So far I am very much enjoying it!

1 Like

The 52 is most definitely maximised now tho!

1 Like

The set up is sounding better than ever. I’m enjoying playing vinyl and streaming.

2 Likes

Hey @HiFiman, could I ask if the full fat powerline on your 250DR made a noticeable difference, or if it was more for your peace of mind? I’m curious as to how much of a benefit they are and thinking of picking a used one up in place of the supplied ‘lite’.

Over the Powerline Lite to my lugs, yes. Since letting the 500 go my goal was to maximise the 250DR, Powerline, Morgana DIN to XLR with full fat Fraim.

1 Like

My experience with powerlines is best to have on all your Naim gear. Gives more definition, clarity and deeper base. Get them for HiCap 2 and NAPSC if you can.

I started with one on the Supercap 2 and then 135s.

One on the 250DR will improve things. Also if you have one try on HiCap2 and Napsc and see where it sounds best. The other upgrade is to get a Supercap instead. Probably get more for your money that way.

1 Like

If you do decide to purchase a Powerline make sure the IEC end is fully decoupled as per instructions, nice gap between the black and silver parts makes a difference.

1 Like

Oh sorry I am confused @HiFiman, what do you mean by having a gap. I push my powerline very hard for fear of not having a good contact. Do you mean it needed to have some gap?

this made me chuckle!hahaha i think we can all relate to this image with our stereos

1 Like

There should be a gap between the black and silver bits. This is a picture Richard Dane took, I’ve zoomed in, this clearly shows the floating gap.

2 Likes