Naim Chrome Bumper

I found the SNAPS more musically coherent than the Hi-Cap with 32.5 and 42.5 although it didn’t do the HiFi stuff as well. I have a bit of an ear for Linn tunedem type of presentation though, or maybe I just had a weak Hi-Cap. As always, you need to decide what’s best for your ears, but certainly this is a great way to get into CB amps.

2 Likes

I have a NAC62 with a NAP140. I added a SNAPS to power a NAT101 (now sadly defunct).

Out of mild curiosity I used the SNAPS to also power the preamp, and noticed a very significant improvement. I borrowed a HICAP for a couple of weeks, and although it was better still, it was nowhere near the jump from nothing to the SNAPS and it didn’t seem worth the cost (particularly as I think I would have had to keep the SNAPS to power the tuner).

I decided to use the money to buy more records, rather than frittering it away on fripperies such as groceries and utility bills. YMMV

7 Likes

My CB250 appears to be poorly. I decided to tidy my mains cables and so powered off my system for about 10 minutes to untangle things, shortly after powering backup the 250 went off. At first I thought the bulb had gone but it hadn’t, the Powerline Lite tests fine on the multimeter as does the fuse in the back of the 250.
Luckily Class A isn’t too far away and after quick call to Darran I’ll be having a trip to Sheffield tomorrow.
:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Update:
I am a numpty :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. The two month old bulb failed and I mustn’t have given the 250 enough time to discharge properly so when I switched it back on there was no speaker thump. I took this as ‘not working’.
I’ve now replaced the bulb and all seems to be OK. I’ll double-check in the morning and then confess to Darran.
:slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Item 1 - No Comment… :crazy_face:

Item 2 - The Bulbs can go… :thinking:
But usually last longer that 2 months… :astonished:
Are you using the ‘right’ Bulbs…???

Overall, a good result… :smiley:

Have you checked that the Powerline is properly connected? If not, the arc can blow the fuse or sometimes the bulb.

1 Like

Yes, mostly they last longer though. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s a Powerline Lite but your oft quoted advice popped into my head and I did check it was plugged in properly.

It was the end of a long and busy day is my excuse. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

so I have them. ended up costing £1,000. I am satisfied. now looking for loudspeakers))

28 Likes

Cool… :sunglasses:

Well done… Now… get some speakers and get it all working…!!!

1 Like

They look like they are in great condition.

2 Likes

Outstanding! They look like they’re in perfect cosmetic shape. Well done.

1 Like

Definitely a bucket list buy for me - although I’ve no longer any room for another system… they look to be in great condition so congratulations.

1 Like

Anyone tried/use an alternative to the CB Hi-Cap with their CB pre-amp, such as Olive HC, Supercap, HC DR, etc?

2 Likes

I have used an Olive HC on a 32.5, no issues.

1 Like

Tx - ever compare to a CB HC?

Cool, I like it!

Well, in my eyes all chrome bumpers look cool!

Yes. When I was upgrading my 42-5/110 to a 72/HICAP/250 I briefly used an olive HICAP with the 42-5/110 while I was waiting for the 250 and the 72 to arrive. TBH, I didn’t think it made much of a difference, but that didn’t really matter because my main reason for buying the HICAP was to enable the upgrade to the 250 (with, ultimately, a 72).

1 Like

AFAIK, there is very little difference between a CB & Olive HiCap… :thinking:

1 Like

That’s what I thought

1 Like

There are detail differences. My Olive HiCap has a Screw which bonds the tray & case together - just as my 72 has. My CB HiCap doesn’t have this… :astonished: