Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

Its pretty easy, if i can do it, anyone can. The tough bit was tapping and listening to the ring of the glass either side to work out which side was up or down.

2 Likes

Yeah thats my fear, i know a fellow Naimiite (not a forum user) he is very obessive, but he had valid points about the setup must be spot on.

I recall this issue with Mana, it was great, BUT lots of tapping, levelling, just when you thought you had it cracked and it was easy, you for some reason (upgrade, spring clean…) lift off a component and realize the glass is ratllling not ringing.

1 Like

Well you can always go for FraimLite. Still superb. Much easier to setup. No dust trap glass. Costs less. And (I think) looks much nicer than Fraim.

4 Likes

It’s funny, I think the full Fraim looks much better. The bottom of the glass aligns with the bottom of the leg and the boxes sit higher in the gap. With the Lite, the boxes sit too low and don’t align with the legs.

3 Likes

Set up is really pretty easy; there aren’t very many parts and I’d say it’s a bit easier than your average Ikea purchase. “Constant” is hyperbole when it comes to rebuilding.

I recently noticed (HH would have if I had provided the right camera angle I’m sure!) that the base shelf of one of my two stacks is several millimeters higher than of the other. With the two stacks side-by-side, this is somewhat noticeable if you really look. One set of spikes must be set in differently than the other. I’ll get around to remedying that before too long.

1 Like

Like most things, it gets a lot easier with familiarity. If starting out then have a read through the build guide here in the FAQ:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/how-to-build-the-naim-fraim/335

Oh a top tip from richard dane is to leave the assembly tools under the fraim base, i have mined taped to the base. Find them every time.

2 Likes

On the contrary, Naim have designed it out, the Statement doesn’t require it!

6 Likes

Many many days tapping my Mana back in the day … great fun!

1 Like

Given the price of Statement, I’m pleased it’s only the cost of Fraim to overcome the perceived (by some) shortcomings of the standard boxes.

1 Like

Zooming in I spot some dust on the glass!

2 Likes

It’s not been cleaned for two whole weeks! What a slob! I was going to do it earlier but decided to do some yoga instead.

3 Likes

i love my fraimlite: it’s compact and not tall.

8 Likes

True, Statement doesn’t need a Fraim, but it still requires just as meticulous set up, levelling etc… You won’t get 100% performance just by plonking it down anywhere.

2 Likes

Good boy, well done.

1 Like

I find with these TLC stands to get the best, after a sweaty setup session, leave it a week, then go back and perfect it.

1 Like

I haven’t touched my fraimlite since I assembled them, perhaps it’s time. But I did take a damp pieces of cloth before I shot this with a cheap android phone!

Oh, the dust!!!

This new system is a lot nicer than imgur, etc…

Waiting on another Corian shelf, then 5 knock-off Naim Glasses from Canada, Thanks to No Quarter!

Enjoy Your Music, The Why!

2 Likes

See, again . . . Naim can’t design a $150,000 hi fi that’s immune to meticulous set up? Shoddy work going on.

/s

can you show this corian shelf? I am intrigued.

Funny thing, the humming is hardly noticeable and it’s been nearly two weeks.

The corian shelf appears to act as a shield isolating the HCDR from my CDX2 which sits directly above my PS.

Who knows, my ears aren’t that fine tuned these days!

Enjoy the why, the how will take care of itself!

Allante93!