Naim in 2024 - what do you really really want?

Another thread reminded me that what I really would like to do somewhere here is recognise how important the NC introduction this year turned out to be for me, a total reset which I am glad I followed through and which brought me back to what I most like about how music should sound when reproduced by a stereo, in a couple of modern boxes.

This, and to apologise humbly for crossing the line several times (only in the name of others as it happens!: ), so thanks @Richard.Dane and team for the patience, understanding and generosity!

ok …. may be a top flight streaming (or just) DAC looking just like the Nait 50? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A company like Naim have always something on the test bench, maybe years before release.
Could be interesting what items they had but decided not to release, there was that cassette deck and electrostats back then, no doubt something newer stuff too.

1 Like

A high end phono stage :raised_hands:t3:

A very nice thread, I am curious if this would be shared at Naim HQ in the UK or at the marketing department in corporate HQ in France.

In any case I have two things:

• Updated wood finishes on Fraim(Lite) - walnut, oak and satin-white would integrate so much better in today’s living rooms than the ash, cherry and maple from 20 years ago. Every year I’m surprised this hasn’t happened yet.

• Not so much one Nait 50 shoebox product but a whole “Heritage Series” of shoebox products at the entry level, with the return of the HiCap DR at its center. More Cyrus than Rega for competition. And backwards compatible with all pre-2023 products.

Let me explain, I mean a range of products under their own (modest) power but all also upgradable with the same CAP-50 (the recycled HiCap DR).
So a NAC-50 being the Nait 50 without power-amp, give it also a knob for input selection to look like the Nait 2 rather than the Nait 1. Can be used with all older power amps.
Create a STR-50 streamer bridge with the ND5 XS2 board, and a DAC-50 (with the asynchronous USB input from the DAC-V1 for USB-out streamers and 1xBNC, 1xRCA, 2xToslink inputs). Not combined as that would compete with the existing streamer products.

Perhaps a NAS-50 without dac to replace the Core and compete against the Innous Zen Mini. That would make a CDT-50 cd-transport unnecessary even though there seems to be demand for that (again) as well. Needs some more thought and input.

It recycles tech and can & should be kept at moderate price points, say max 2/3 of the current Nait 50 / Atom HE / XS3 price for the pre & dac and 1/2 for the streamer & psu.

It would be a great service from Naim towards the owners of all the classic gear, CB, Olive, black/green slimline and classic (and the Nait 50), and also a visually appealing range for new buyers.

For the rest, I think Naim is doing absolutely great with the New Classic and Uniti lines.

4 Likes

Would be nice to have back my NDX2 from warsaw.
Other speakers maybe TAD. Or Sopra 2… or hmmm magico.
When starting to write it down lots come to mind.
I think a need a full bank account. :blush:

That would be lovely. Sign me up now.

Probably a popular idea that would lead to successful sales…

Just a few (small sample) of the many many requests for same or similar…

2 Likes

Thank you for that tip.I wil try that…

Thinking about this the only time I’ve heard Statement when it really impressed me was at a London dealer in 2014 and I could only be there for 10 mins max but it was with a Vertere RG turntable/tonearm, very exotic cartridge (unknown), Statement and Magico M3, from the very short listen truly stunning. I can’t recall the phono stage but Naim go for it, phono stage at Statement level :sunglasses:

I’m a man of simple means, I would merely like the display functions on the Uniti and Streamers sorted so you can constantly display track info screen without it defaulting to album art, all easily sorted via the remote I would have thought via a three way latching toggle on the remote display button - Album Art, Track Info, Off. For a display thats included in so many different products now it’s greatly under utilsed and exploited.

7 Likes

Already have that with the Superline, especially with a Supercap - still up there with the best around. Or are you after something that costs even more - sort of a “Statement” price level phono stage?

3 Likes

Richard agreed my Superline is right up there, but yes I think they might go further with a Statement level model along with a DAC/streamer. Keep pushing at the limits.

2 Likes

“You may say I’m a dreamer”

Superline+

2 Likes

Active Crossover with DSP support.

2 Likes

GBP 15-30k price level phono that could compete with likes of Audio Research Phono 10

1 Like

Is it good?

I was rather put off Audio Research thanks to one of their phono stages, which I really did not get on with at all. I did try though, and it was a fair while back (mid '90s) now.

1 Like

I agree whole heartedly with this. I miss the display on off button of the green screen streamers… it’s a bit of a rigmarole turning it off /on with the 2nd gen devices. Also, when displaying track info it would be good if it would scroll to show it all particularly on Internet radio

You really want a nice valve phono amp to really push way above what the superline/supercap can do.
As if not it’s more just a different take on it all, valves and analogue work so well together.
Well, that’s what i have found with my phono journey over the years.
But i can’t see Naim bringing out a valve phono stage, so i guess the superline is it.

1 Like

A £1,500 phono stage that could compete with Audio Research would surely be even better. The market for a £30,000 phono stage must be vanishingly small. I’d rather Naim was affordable, rather than making stuff for millionaires, much of which is bought just because it’s expensive rather than any good.

13 Likes

I have never heard it but I’d like to hope so at this price range. I used Audio Research just as an example there are a few other that come to my mind like Brinkmann Edison or RCM TheRiaa.

1 Like

You can’t do the right thing for doing the right thing. When Naim brought out the Musos and launching in JL they were accused of dumbing down!

5 Likes