Nait 3R - Incoming

Linn Kans would have been a sensible choice… :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, and started with Kans and our old Meridian 101/103D amplifier.

Then I grabbed a CD3.5 one Wednesday afternoon and started down the slippery slope.

The 3.5, Meridian, and Kans are now in my wife’s hobby room.

1 Like

Actually I have not personally tried a FC with my Nait 3R.
But I remember how astonished I was when I tethered a Supercap to it! :astonished:

1 Like

The eBay Flatcap was arrived and - so far - is dead on arrival.

Basic checks are now in progress - fuses & mains plug. After that guess its lid off time…?

Mains Plug Fuse is a 5 amp…? I though all Naim mains fuses were 13 amp - because there is the internal fuses as well…?

PS. Looks like the internal fuse is U/S.

Pretty conclusive - I think…?

PS. Does anyone know where I could find a Naim Manual for the original Olive FlatCap
(not FlatCap 2 or XS), please…?

Not In my Archive…

Nope, I did find this though

https://web.archive.org/web/19970125184236/http://www.naim-audio.com/psu.html

Way back machine product page for it, with a few specs

(It’s quite interesting reading the 1997 website)

(Where “quite” is clearly very context dependent - I figured I was safe here though)

Here’s a link to a post with the connection guide

But I suspect you know the content of that!? What are you after knowing @IanRobertM ?

1 Like

@gthack - Thanks. I do not expect the Olive PS manual to tell me very much that I don’t know. But thought it was worth asking, on here. To try to add to my ‘collection’ of Naim Manuals.

Manuals for the FC2 or FC XS are easy to find. And I have those…!

1 Like

I suspect 1997 was too early for electronic copies of the manuals to exist? @GeoffC sorry to ask, particularly if you’ve answered it before, and given I’m not afraid of a forum search, but is that a fair assumption? Pre c. 2000 manuals weren’t amenable to publishing on the web?

(I realise scans/images of hardcopy manuals are a thing :slight_smile: )

1 Like

In my collection, its the post 2000 ones which are relatively small files, suggesting they are genuine original pdf’s - rather that a scanned document (which tends to result in a far bigger file).

2 Likes

Yes, in the mid nineties, when the PDF format was launched it was still a way off establishing itself not least because of file big file sizes and very long download times.

I have taken a look at my artwork archive, I do have all (I think) of the olive era manuals in digital form. All the text and formatting is there, however some of the illustrations are partially incomplete - the odd plug and socket is missing - due to the file drawing type used at the time.

Perhaps, when I am not too busy, I will take a look at them again and see how much rebuilding they need. Making a PDF from these original files will be very straightforward.

I have plenty of printed copies as reference.

2 Likes

@GeoffC - Would be great if you could do something… :slightly_smiling_face:

I have pdf’s of the manuals for the Power Amps, the Pre Amps, the SNAXO’s and the Tuners, from around that time, which I have found online.

2 Likes

Hi @IanRobertM

I will see what’s involved in rebuilding the Power Supplies manual as the first on my list. Hopefully it will be just a few small drawings to put back together.

Regards
Geoff

2 Likes

@GeoffC -Thats brilliant . Would it help if I sent you some of what I have…?

Feel free to ask @Richard.Dane for my details.

1 Like

Hi @IanRobertM

Thanks for the offer, but I have everything I need here in printed and electronic form.
We’ll sort out delivery options when I have it completed.

1 Like

@GeoffC - Sounds good.

I will bet this is not do-able, for some reason, but having an Archive of Naim Manuals (and perhaps more) as part of the Forum, would be a very neat way to deliver these…

@Richard.Dane - Thoughts…?

1 Like

FlatCap update. Picture below -

All looks OK - but - it still refuses to power up.

The mains fuse was good - OK its a 5 Amp, but it works.

Fitted a 2 amp fuse to the fuse holder - yes, I know it should be a 1 amp - and it blew straight away.

My partner already has some T1AL fuses (1 amp, slow blow/anti surge) on order - which are the correct type. Will try one of these once they arrive, just to be sure.

Otherwise, its a job for @Darran at Class A… :slightly_smiling_face:

I keep pressing like on that suggestion, but it only registers once :confused: :wink:

1 Like

Lets continue to… persist with this idea.

It would make (IMO) a huge amount of sense. Rather than to have to search on the web. There are a few places such as Class A (HiFi Repairs) or AV Options, who both have ‘some’ archive manuals, but neither has a complete ‘set’.

And - it would - surely - be good for Naim.

Plus Naim, for I assume good reason, seem unable to prioritise fixing that sort of thing on the website. Given they officially support this forum maybe they should just cut their losses/stop trying to do something they clearly cannot maintain, and let this place fix it. Though having said that I’m aware it is kinda making work for the moderation team (a team possibly of just one!) and I’m not sure the forum platform can host PDF files. Anyway, polite and persistent pressure might lead to some results!

To add, I’d happily help the moderators with this sort of thing of it turns out to be doable but onerous.

2 Likes

Might be missing something, but if the corporate website is subject to change with loss of older resources, it might be fantastic for this site to hold actual PDFs or PDF type scans of older manuals for posterity in the FAQ section.

It would be an official repository of useful documents which may be difficult to include in an active ‘current lineup’ website going forwards when designs change.

2 Likes