ND555 at Olive System

Remove the earth tag .

1 Like

Remove earth tag and set nd555 to chassis/default?

Done it - no humming from input of TT.

Tested it a bit - I hear no real difference.
But thought that nd555 to chassis sounds a bit fuller even with TT earth

1 Like

Naim prefer you don’t make changes via that but use the ‘settings’ control via the Naim App to keep everything in-track aligned is my understanding.

Using the App settings I sat down over a couple of evenings a few years ago and played with toggle on/off each of these and they had a very small but audible effect so I just set them to include what I needed and tried on/off on all the others until I ended-up with what I liked.
I’ve not touched or looked at them for years.
Currently I have:

Off: Bluetooth, Airplay, Remote Mobile Detect and Digital 2 IP
On: Everything else.

Subjectively these manifest as slight improved clarity on piano notes and decay for some settings on/off and on some it was that subliminally it was clearer one way but just less involving - so I set them to how it all snapped into place and made the music most interesting for my system.

Small effect - I just like to have the best available that I paid for if it is there free to be had and takes a little of my time to find out.

DB.

1 Like

Thank you soooo much
Will test as you suggested.
„Remote mobile detect“ is the analogue to chromecast?

Do you remember which one of the inputs brings more clarity and was less involving?
Sorry for asking, but I tend to get lost in this comparisons.

I approached this a bit simply - I use the Ethernet input on ND555 and then just played with all available settings to the ND555 via Naim App, once somebody else had mentioned there may be some differences in SQ.

So I just kept the Ethernet connected and off/on all the little green button lights on the App under settings menue without turning-off anything I needed until I was happy I got a better end-result than I began with the default settings. I did get a better result so that was a success - but it is a small worthwhile improvement and not massive, just a nice improvement to be had.

Some things like ‘Server Mode’ I did try off and it was clearer but less cohesive over time and I put it on and things sounded right again. I like to try things myself and trust my own hearing on this stuff so anyone that has an ‘all on/off’ approach without actually listening does not suit how I find the best results.

Easy to try - use music like pianio with lots of clean weaving note-structure that have transients and decay - plus in addition try some music with a good deep bass tune and note-shifts and it all becomes very obvious over a short time what is working best.

Have fun! :bear:

DB.

2 Likes

Might be of interest. I did work out how to disable USB and not enable Chromecast eventually.

G

1 Like

Listening again to nd555
Emiliana Torrini

Wow - What a miracle machine…

And a very fine match with olive / SBL :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Her album with the Colorist Orchestra is fantastic, even on a lowly NDX2 :laughing:

1 Like

Exactly this Album - Racing the storm
Fantastic

Nothing lowly on ndx2 :blush:

1 Like

Perfect - had Not found this Post.
Listen and enjoy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Keeping his Big Toe cool :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

When I am going nerdy again, I need something to cool me down. Helps :rofl:

1 Like

Honestly, I haven’t read the whole thread but Nd555 into Olive makes me cringe.
Keep it how it was designed to be imo.
Sorry

I was very skeptical (as ever). I can fully confirm that it works excellent with 52/135.
Why should it not?
Yesterday found a review in the web, where the tester used 52/PS/250 - he was stunned too

Modern naim streamers do work very well with older naim amps. Connected nd5xs2 nDAC to nait 2… very good.
Never had heared one, but think that nd555 will beat cds2. On the analogue side I did not found a match and preferred prefix over superline. But that is another story

1 Like

Have you compared ND555/555DR versus nDAC/XPS?

Will you be comparing ND555/555DR with nDAC/555DR?

Yes have compared both…

NDAC / XPs was darker in presentation, and less detailed. Guitar strings had been by far not in nd555 range.
NDAC/555ps was a step up, but not as organic and transparent, fast and involving as nd555
There is still a good step up, but also sideways as the presentation is quite different

Have described it in detail above :rofl:

3 Likes

Great thank you. And will you be keeping the ND555?

1 Like

So far … yess !
Tempted?

My understanding is that an NDS/555DR will outperform an nDAC/555DR so I’m really not sure there would be enough of an improvement…

Sorry - thought you were on ndx2.
I think this will be a small uplift and only if you need/want quobuz in one box

1 Like