ND555 now in place

I knew the date and time. Just didn’t know about lunch.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The NDS is a remarkable streamer for SQ and improving on that sound is not likely easy. I would’ve been happy to own it if it weren’t a legacy streamer and I didn’t want to go down that path. After the NDS the NDX2 just wasn’t appealing and a big reason I sat tight with the 272/555. And glad I did since the NC launched not too long after. Glad to see you’re enjoying your hifi journey. All the best to you.

4 Likes

Are you swapping them out ? What are you going for next? Magicos?

See above

2 Likes

The journey never ends does it my friend?

They are top notch speakers and beautifully built.

1 Like

He feels that Streaming will always be limited with current technology.

Which theoretically I still don’t get, but my experience is exactly that,
and after bringing my previous turntable out of longterm storage (young family etc.), I unexpectedly, felt no option but to switch further source investment from streaming to vinyl…

1 Like

At first cleaner or more silence but also a bit less loose. Now after 48h it’s better. It’ll be interesting when it’s burnt in and I switch back.

1 Like

Yes it’s a pity because streaming is so convenient. I love the fact that it provides a window into so much new material. Back in the day we just had the radio to assess whether to buy a new LP or buy “blind”. It’s obvious from info within posts that the average age of forum members is over 50. It’s not rocket science why. Those of us with large LP collections bought over several decades are advantaged IMO. Having said that my streamer (with top Chord cables) can sound spectacular.

3 Likes

I agree, it is a pity and just a few years ago I wasn’t expecting to be investing further in vinyl. However my NDS is still very good and I am more than happy to spend an evening listening to it… it’s great to listen to new material. Of course with vinyl there is the added benefit of feeling being a bit more invested in the music - just like the old days!

3 Likes

Well i have to disagree with that statement about streaming.
As the best thing i have ever heard come out a speaker was from streaming.
Yes it was the wadex streamer and dac, into some lovely mono valved amp’s, and finally the kroma macbeth speakers.
In total a crazy amount of money, but my god, i wouldn’t want to go out ever again, it was simply shockingly good.

But it does show how far streaming and probably more importantly dac’s have come.

6 Likes

Try Silbatone Dunc. Mate has them £500k set up.

They are valve amps and sound like nothing I have ever heard. I believe they do a DAC which he also has. The sound is from heaven! Like I have never heard before. I don’t see him too much because he is a terrible influence!

4 Likes

Dunc this rings true to me as most of the music on my new vinyl albums have likely been through a dac. I guess the argument is, therefore, what represents best value for more money in the home. At the moment it seems to me to be vinyl, even at quite high levels of spend…

3 Likes

I cant get past 10 O’clock on my 282. Some serious bass grunt. Luckily my MF Nu Vista 300 power amp is more than capable…

1 Like

For that reason if hypothetically I didn’t
have an LP collection I wouldn’t start collecting again now or buy a turntable.

I was very friendly with the top R&D guy at Audio Note. He explained to me the complexity of converting the sound from digital to analogue and likened it to chopping a sausage into a thousand pieces then having to reconstruct it perfectly. Very complex. During that process he believes (like Alan Gibb and a top guy at Naim who I discussed this topic with) that something is lost that still makes the best of analogue innately superior.

It’s an on the limits type weakness but to me digital will always have a slightly processed like character to it compared to the best of analogue. If we don’t compare a top turntable with a good analogue LP to a top streamer we wouldn’t know what we are missing. I’m living proof of this as I enjoyed my music greatly during the first half of 2024 turntable less.

4 Likes

Interesting thread. Would love to hear a 200 and 300 NC system against the ND555 and NDS on 500. I bet it would sound more ‘different’ than one better?

New stack comfiguaration. Moving more boxes and cables than Drago these days!

11 Likes

Dan which stack are you going to move to incorporate the S1 :wink:

3 Likes

Connectors are clean by now :smile: