NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

Sorry, misleading you slightly. I actually replaced the 272 with an original NDX, as this was a clear step up when used with an XPS-DR power supply and 250-DR amp, alongside the Classe processor. I also had a Hugo 2 on loan while testing the NDX, but that didn’t seem to move things on. Music was much more natural and involving with the NDX.

I have then focused on getting the home cinema system right as I was watching more film and TV material than listening to music, so added MK ceiling and surround speakers which blend really well with the PMCs up front (Twenty.26 and Twenty.C) with an Arcam AV860 doing the processing and acting as a pre-amp.

To shore up rack space, I found that a single NDX2 box was an adequate replacement for the pair of NDX/XPS-DR boxes.

So given all this, that’s why I was interested in the SN3 replacing the 250-DR to see if 1) It improved music enjoyment and 2) adequately coped with running the front 26’s on multichannel material.

I’m also considering the latest lyngdorf 3400 integrated amp as a lot of AV people seem to like the way it blends subs and main speakers using the roomperfect room correction software built into it. It’s a shame no RC was added to the SN3.

I really like the PMC sound but didn’t feel the Twenty5.26 were better vs the old Twenty.26. It seemed as though the improvement in the bass was at the expense of a much more prominent top-end, so ended up a much less well-balanced speaker.

1 Like

I get up to Auckland very often. Drove up to listen and buy the SN 2. I am sure the wait will be awarding for both of us. SN 2 is a month in and starting to settle in nicely so it will be just right for his new buddy.

1 Like

Do you think that the NDX should be accompanied by an XPS2 or an XPSdr to reveal itself on a 72/180 combo?

I used a bare NDX on 82/HC/135s for a year or two, then 52/SC/135s for a few months, it worked really well to my taste. Music flowed well, had drive, detail was pretty good I listened to a lot on it. I had a 555PSDR on it for a few weeks, and that sharpened up the bottom end and added clarity, but I let it worked well into olives without a PSU?

Call from dealer today, SN3 arriving tomorrow which is a surprise so I’ll be picking up on Saturday :slightly_smiling_face:. No NDX2 yet though so will be using the Nova as a source until that arrives. Anyone know the best way to connect up the Nova to SN3? I’ve read something about using AV bypass input but don’t see that referred to on rear of SN, can anyone advise?
Edit - I see there’s an AV bypass switch so how does that work and what input should I use?

2 Likes

Hey @Hollow, exciting times!

This covers how I connected my Atom and it talks about the AV bypass option.

1 Like

Hmm read that but still a little confused, so I won’t get a DIN to DIN with the SN3 presumably so will need a stereo RCA lead and connect pre out of Nova to AV input of SN3 and switch to AV bypass to disable Nova volume control?

Av bypass is on the supernait; it’s designed to be used with an av amp, supernait driving front stereo speakers and the av amp has the volume control. It’s basically direct to the supernait power amp. So your nova would work in the same way, acting as source and preamp. Ask your dealer if you can borrow a 4 to 5 pin din interconnect to hook up nova to supernait.

2 Likes

Hi @robert_h, thanks for your input.

Atom has no DIN Preamp Output like Nova, so I currently have my Atom connected to SN 2 using RCA cable. RCA cable between Atom Preamp Output to SN 2 CD in.

Would I be better using AV In with RCA cable? Atom Preamp Output to SN 2 AV in? And then I assume Av Bypass from OFF to ON?

NDX 2 is on the way, but while I wait I want to make sure I am using best / safest approach.

Thanks

Hi, I assume therefore you have the Atom on a low volume setting feeding the SN2, and you’re using the SN2 volume control. That’s ok but if you want to take the safest approach, you could connect to the AV input on the SN2 and flick bypass to on. Then the Atom volume control becomes the master. I’d turn the Atom volume all the way down so you dont get a loud surprise when you connect it up this way and turn it on. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I’ve decided to keep the HiCAP, it adds more refinement, clarity and control in my system. It’s all sounding very lovely.

Need to look at power block though…

That’s good to hear mate. And now you have 4 boxes :grinning:

Do you own the tester Mike or did John bring one?

Yeah, just like that :thinking: well 5 with the Core. Then there’s a Nova, and a Uniti2…

He couriered one up. Now he’s sending up a Polaris thingy, which sounds like a nuclear weapon of some sort… we won’t count that as a box…

1 Like

Thanks @Moritz and @robert_h!

Perhaps its just me but it sounds much better going into AV using the Atom as pre amp and SN 2 as pure amp. Seems more detailed now. Before it sounded like it was muffled and struggling.

Personally I think this is definitely the way to run Uniti models into SN while you wait for your source to arrive :smile:

1 Like

I’m actually tempted to stash my SN3 until the NDX2 arrives and run them both in together from scratch

1 Like

I get that, but I would think amp will need more run in than NDX 2. You have a Nova so you are already sitting on a very nice system. SN 2 is a big difference from Atom.

That’s a nice idea. When I swapped from a SuperUniti to a 272/250DR I removed the former and installed the latter, without trying the SU into the 250 as an interim step. It was a massive jump and all the better for hearing it in one go. With the lack of a line out on the Nova, this approach makes even more sense.

2 Likes

I got my SN2 and NDX2 together and when they were installed, set the Nova up in the media room. It was certainty an “oh wow” moment for sure. I’d thought about a two step upgrade with the SN2 first, but thought, bugger it, let’s go the whole hog.

The I added the power supplies :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and broke all my promises and here we are.

4 Likes

Sounds like a nice office/media system you have!

Ah, yes, it’s the Nova in the media room, which is quite small and also my home office. It works as a really nice set up. The other kit is upstairs in the lounge.

1 Like