NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

I have a SN2 and ran it for awhile with a 3rd party Supercap… in combination with either NDX + Hugo v1… or with my NDX 2… it was seriously outstanding. A power supply makes an immense difference with this combo… in my opinion it could be an elegant relatively compact end game system.

At the moment I’m back to running my 552 DR with a 250… and it’s clearly superior as one would expect… but if I got rid of the 552 I could happily live with the SN 2 + ps.

6 Likes

Hi Ants, thank you very much for the details. Very helpful and I hope you can achieve the enjoyment you had with the Nova also with the new setup.

1 Like

I hope so as well. Last night I seemed to have had a breakthrough and had the “wow” moment while listening to the latest Mercury Rev release, a tribute to Bobbie Gentry. It sounded rather special and could finally acknowledge just how incredibly detailed and layered the recording was. It was actually quite spectacular to listen to.

However, I am still using the NDX2 in variable mode with the digital volume set to 70 and the SN3 at the 9 o’clock setting. At this time, this offers the best solution and volume control without edge or harshness.

According to the support team at Naim, using the variable output of the NDX-2 will cause a small reduction in sound quality. I have asked if there is a magic number to hit in order to eliminate this. Waiting for reply.

In the meantime, I am leaving the SN3 streaming music all day hoping to improve things moving forward and enjoy a few more tunes.

3 Likes

Hey John just ordered a Hicap DR. Does the SN3 and Hicap DR both need to be plugged in? Also have a powerline on the SN3 would it be better switched to the HiCap DR?
Also have a powerline in the XPSDR feeding the NDX2. You have a similar setup so just wanted to make sure I set it up correctly. The Dynaudio Evoke 50s look good… have the Special 40s at the min as am in an apartment, will defo be checking out the 50s if I move though…

I’d have the Powerline on the Hicap as is powering the Preamp of the Supernait.

1 Like

I use a G3 power block with a power line to the mains. Use your best cable on the power supply would be my suggestion but it often pays to switch them about to find the best combination.
Both the Hi Cap and SN3 need connecting to the mains.
There is a Naim connection diagram which you can download from their site.
The Special 40s were very good but the Evokes 50s are a big improvement as they have a greater range and bigger soundstage. We were at a concert the other night and my wife said she wouldn’t have minded staying home and listening to it on the hi fi. I’ve listened to a number of different speaker brands during the past two years and believe that Dynaudio is a very good fit with Naim.

1 Like

…after visiting my local Naim dealer yesterday I returned home with his HiCap DR to use with my SN 2. In place for 24+ hours with a noticeable uplift in the detail and soundstage, including unsolicited positive comments from the wife that the system was sounding much better. I am going to be listening for three or four more days before getting back to him. So far I’m leaning towards a purchase before the next price increases but I like to have it in my system for several days before making a final decision. Life is Grand

6 Likes

Added Powerlines to the HiCAP and SN2 yesterday (I already had one on the XPS DR feeding the NDX2). It was more of an improvement than I was expecting when I tried it on headphones with more slam and resolution with a lower noise floor and tighter bottom end. This was obvious played through the speakers as well.

There must be synergy with Powerlines across the system. Certainty a good upgrade.

Good evening Mike, or perhaps good morning for you, the Powerlines cost $995.00 USD each. The same company that distributes and repairs NAIM in the US AV Options offers several AC connections, I have picked up three of their TibiaPlus12 AC cables which go through a Deep-Cryo treatment. They have received great reviews and at $214.00 each I replaced the standard cables with these and I am quite pleased. For the moment I don’t see me moving in the Powerline direction. Funny thing is I have said that about a couple of other Naim item which somehow found there way into my system. So I never say never, just not at this time. Yes patience and time, patience and time and of course money!

2 Likes

Early evening here @seakayaker. Another hot day, even the pool is hot! Yes, that pricing is a bit out of wack I think for the Powerlines. If you have some good alternatives, I think that is a good approach, especially having them all the same is the important thing. I was originally going to use Isotek leads to match the power boards, but ended up with Powerlines when a coupe of second hand ones came available, I grabbed those and then bought 2 new ones.

1 Like

Never say never, but the cables you are referring to are a fantastic upgrade(IMHO). Glad to hear so far you like the HiCapDR.

1 Like

Good to see you’ve got something on that lone bare shelf… I like the HiCap DR with my SN2 as well.

2 Likes

Hi Ants
Thinking about it, your 272/555DR/300 was not comparable in cost or design to your current bare NDX2 and bare SN3.
Maybe you have different speakers now too - as well as no external psus?
And maybe the new boxes are still burning in, and the system and cables and switches need to settle and may not be optimized yet?
Maybe the room and local electrical wiring and supply is also different?
So there’s a lot going on apart from the core boxes in that comparison.
Jim

1 Like

Have a Simrak coming this week. Currently have SN3/NDX2/XPSDR/HiCapDR. Wondering what the correct stacking order would be now I’m moving to a proper rack. My instinct is to have the NDX2 at the top (underneath the turntable) because it looks better. But is it wiser to have the SN3 at the top? Due to transformers etc. Anyone who’s had experience with a similar system advice welcome. Thanks. :pray:t3:

1 Like

I’d probably go with whatever works best for cable dressing - particularly the Burndy. So XPS at the bottom, then HC, You might find that having the NDX2 on top works better for the Burndy than the SN.

2 Likes

FWIW on my rack I have the NDX 2 on Top, the SN 2 below it, the HiCap DR, and XPS DR on the bottom. The main reason was the Burndy cable fit best between the NDX 2 and XPS DR with the separation.

2 Likes

Thanks guys :+1:t3: Think it’s arriving today! Excited! :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve recently bought a similar system which my dealer setup for me on a five stack FraimLite. On top is the NDX2, next is the SN3, then the Innuos Zen Mk3, then the Hi Cap and on the bottom shelf is the XPS DR.
All seems to work well and the sound produced is wonderful.

2 Likes

Thanks John, did that first then swapped the hicap with the xpsdr as actually helped with the burndy.

Went:
Turntable
NDX2
SN3
XPSDR
HiCap DR

:+1:t3:
Sounds pretty special. Was considering upgrading the SN3 last week, but since I’ve got a dedicated rack the uplift in sound is definitely noticeable. Rewiring has probably helped too! All Power lined up now too with a SL interconnect. I think I’m done now. It’s good enough!! Was dreaming about the 252 last week. Too expensive and more boxes. Happy as is :slight_smile: (until the :ant: strikes again…)

3 Likes

I reckon if I wish to upgrade I’d have to go for 252/300DR which would cost
the best part of £20,000.
Not sure the improvement would merit the cost.
Mind you I thought I was happy with a Nova and that was brilliant value.

2 Likes