New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

ND555 update went smoothly although I did have to delete and reinstall the Naim app on my IPad in order for it to find the ND.

something sounds different. Its not as warm or smooth, sounds quite…wooden id say. Bass seems to be more pronounced but almost artificial at the expense of some of the clearness and clarity of guitars. Volume is definitely different too, i normally have it around 47/48 but thats sounding far too loud at the level now. Ive lowered it to 38-40.

Update went very well on my Atom, now wait and see if the artwork isn’t freezing anymore. Thanks for the update though.

It’s nowhere near as good. To me it sounds like the levels are too high, like on a cassette deck, almost distorting to a degree. Rough.

Interested to hear more about the sound…, if more see it as not as good as before I will hold of on the installation, any other members with the sound impressions ?

the bass sounds overblown to me now. It was lacking before but not by much. I wonder if Naim have reacted to the many online comments about a lack of bass by over compensating. It sounds like the old days when you cranked up the bass on a graphic equaliser.

Is it in a pattern or just the same time between each flash?

What unit are you using where you are hearing differences?

Wasn’t there previous examples of FW updates where SQ went down in a few occaisions, and was mostly resolved by a power off, unplug, leave 30 mins, then start up?

1 Like

Atom

I have an ATOM and for the record I don’t believe I can hear any significant SQ differences.
If there are differences it is very slight and barely noticeable. Still sounds great.
Sat here now listening to Baba Blues thinking maybe the sound stage sounds deeper but that is most likely in my head!

I really do hope so. Mines unplugged now and resting.
I will restart and leave radio paradise running all night, see if it settles in morning.

Updated: working well with Qobuz hi res. No problems with losing it from Naim app on latest iOS either. Thanks Naim.

ill try that, Been playing for 3 hours or so now songs that i always use to demo equipment. I know these songs very well and i know they are sounding different and over blown.

Ill unplug, leave it overnight and see how it sounds tomorrow

No change in SQ here.

Updated my NDX 2 to the latest release as well as my iPad (5th Generation) to 14.4.1.

I restarted the NDX 2, the iPad and my router at the end of the software installations.

The first album played was the latest Jakob Bro release ‘UMA ELMO’ and it is sounding fantastic.

I will hold off on declaring the sound is better, worse or the same for a couple of days. Right now it sounds fantastic but will want to listen to a number of albums that I am familiar with and give everything a chance to settle in.

Hopefully everyone’s issues are addressed! I am hoping for no more random reboots and time will tell.

2 Likes

Exactly my impression. Initially everything sounded great (on my Nova) - the bass sounded deeper and HF more airy and lively. Then over the period of 2-3 hours, the sound curve started shifting towards reduced bass and increased treble / high midrange (and it remained that way for the rest of the day). At some point I could swear I was hearing distortion from the tweeter. I unplugged the unit and am keeping fingers crossed for a better start tomorrow. Hopefully just the atmospheric pressure playing havoc with ears.

The day after (update) - streaming services sound more airy / open. The bass reduction is still evident when listening via USB. Naim should really implement simple bass + treble controls for Uniti models.

1 Like

I’ve updated my Atom to 3.6.0 (5106) last night and found that it responses to the remote control but doesn’t show its volume level. Have anyone found the same experience?

I’m having the same issue with my Atom - I’ve installed 3.6.0 and the actual volume control is working fine, but volume measurement isn’t showing on the front panel screen display any more??

1 Like

Hello and apologies in advance for this luddite of a question
I’m a newish Uniti Atom owner and a virgin to firmware updates.
Q: How are the updates installed?