New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I’t s really good observation. We did discuss this on the day. I know it wasn’t the same cart (so not a strict A/B), but I can’t find my notes and my brain is a bit bleary (I’m on holiday!). I’ve asked Peter.

1 Like

Yours is most def bigger. Respect. Almost emasculating :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Swapping out the cartridge for say a much more expensive one, will obviously change the sound, but will probably need a better phono stage as well to get the best from a different cartridge.
I guess right now naim have matched the cartridge to the phono stage as why wouldn’t you? as I have found out recently cartridge and phono stage is where it all happens, yes you need a good turntable and arm to go with it, to keep the speed correct and noise down, but I feel the solstice is aimed at a plug and play, more than messing around turntable and the messing about turntable may turn up later.
But glad to hear it has the naim source sound, as I was told by my dealer, as for me these days I have slightly moved away from this and much prefer a mix of naim amplifier/pre with move detailed sources

2 Likes

I might, but not that important as I’m not in the market for one. I was just being curious as it’s a different alignment than Clearaudio uses.

My Technics SL-1210GAE is probably my end-game, but I might perhaps look at their cartridges and/or phono stages one day if sold separately.

Regarding the visuals, I don’t recall commenting on those. Perhaps that was meant for someone else?

Be happy then and I’ll take it that the tin can image was not a comment on the visuals then!
Be sure to check it out in the flesh even if you have reached your end point TT

1 Like

Will you have room in your caravan for this & the Solstice?

I think @n-lot was commenting on the visuals of a deck FR posted, the structural turrets of which bear an “uncanny” resemblance to… tin cans!

I cannot wait for more reviews of the solstice. And really looking forward to the first reports from owners.

I’m intrigued how the design, structural and electronic, seems to fit the “house sound” and wonder how they achieved that, mostly in the electronics, on a sound structural foundation? Or if the structure contributes, and if so, how the heck you go about achieving that from design principles!?

1 Like

I would love to check it out in the flesh. Let’s hope it starts getting regular production past the 500.

It was a comment on the visuals, but not those of the Solstice, but of the monstrosity @frenchrooster posted. This one:

Looks like the Guggenheim…but in black.

Is the name something to do with the Wizard of Oz :wink:

1 Like

The LP12 was running a Kandid into Urika, powered by a Klimax Radikal. The Urika had standard Linn Silvers to the 552.

1 Like

Very interesting review,
May I ask, how much time exactly that Solstice package was run in?
As I’ve read, Naim recommands 50 hours for the cartridge, I assume a few more weeks for the phono stage and ps…at list…tell me about it.

2 Likes

handicapped then imho

Best
Gregg

Unfortunately no place left. So the Solstice will probably go in our bathroom.
For now I am waiting the delivery for the platter, for our actual bathroom tt.

14 Likes

Indeed. But the idea was to compare the standard top spec all Linn Klimax LP12 against the new all Naim offering.

What Din cable was the Solstice using? Lavender? SL?

don’t know, that’s one for Naim to answer - but awhile I’d imagine. It was, to my knowledge, their primary unit.

Nice use for that Kuzma platter

Since you seem to be the authority on Linn turntables, would you mind elaborating on the alignment they use and whether it changed historically, especially when they changed tonearm manufacturers?
And of course any background you have on those decisions.

I’d be really interested, thanks!

at last !!! Thanks @MarcJaffrey !!! :clap:
enjoy/ken

2 Likes

Since I will be upgrading from a meager Pro-Ject debut carbon and this investment being my first “real” tt, I enter this discussion with low standards. But if nothing else, I am very pumped up about the look & anesthetics of the Solstice, and believe the aluminum platter will complement my industrial looking room very well. I could see how more traditional rooms with wood finishes may clash with the Solstice behemoth.

And whilst I have the menacing 500/272/555 gear that glows green, I look forward to situating the white lights of the Solstice and phono stage on top of my black Fraim racks. It will be a white icing on a black & green, bad ass cake!

4 Likes