New Naim Internet Radio - feedback & requests

I look forward to trying this out when openreach finally get our broadband working again. Now into week 6 of it being down :cry:

1 Like

@Stevesky I can no longer find Forth2. Spent quite a bit of time searching last night, also in the UK stations sections.

Could you help me find it again?

Hi,

This station was rebranded to Greatest Hits Radio earlier this year. See:

Which is now this:

We have it mapped to:
Greatest Hits Radio (Edinburgh)

Regards

Steve

3 Likes

Thanks, found it!

Had no idea of the rebrand.

@Stevesky Now that we have all this nice enhanced meta data coming through it really highlights the shortcomings of the display on the streamers. I’ve mentioned this lots on here and contacted support ages ago but still no changes with new firmware. It’s crying out for the track info display to latch and remain on when selected via remote, a 3 state toggle on the remote button for On with Album Art, On with Track/Meta info, Off, would work well. Also, regardless of this, the text runs off the screen and cuts off everything other than titles with short descriptions. It could be so much better. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @Hollow.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve passed that on to the team to consider. They are somewhat busy on lots of other projects, but when working in a given area we often review the wish list to see if we can do any other feature wishes at the same time.

Best

Steve

1 Like

@Stevesky I imagine it’s been quite hectic the last week, but would you mind clarifying how this (alleged) BBC requirement has been dealt with in the new iRadio implementation ?

See my original question here:

Thank you.

@Stevesky Happy to test any NDS update for use with the Naim Internet Radio service and compare it to Roon’s service and coverage, as soon as you have something.

Would be happy if you were to drop Spotify support, to make space, as haven’t used that since it was launched, a long time ago.

2 Likes

Very impressed with new radio updates. Use mainly Classical/Jazz stations and Qobuz. Shame on the BBC Radio 3 site you used to be able to have an On Demand selection of shows from the station, i.e. Nighttracks, where you could scroll through at least a couple of weeks shows to select and play, but then I guess that’s what the BBC I Player is for. Now it’s just showing Podcasts to select. Other than that all great so far. A job well done.

There are 2 Venice Classic Radio:

1. Venice Classic Radio Auditorium (in vTuner)
    2 Venice Classic Radio Live (in Naim’s radios under the name of Venice Classic radio )

Could You give us the 2 Venice Classic Radio (which are different with programmation) with their full name.

Thanx.

Hi @n-lot

Naim (and Focal) has signed a media distribution license with the BBC so we can carry their live streams. There are lots of conditions on this, but most of it is how the BBC is visually represented on our system.

We also have a licensing agreement for metadata and logos with XPeri who are in turn licensed with the BBC to use their metadata feeds. This is quite a unique thing to have a licensed feed rather than scrape it off the BBC sounds website or similar.

On the Naim solution we are required to do summarised statistics to the BBC every month, but there is zero tracking of user habits. Each time someone plays for example BBC radio2 it clocks up an overall station stat that is used for long term popular stations tracking and any reporting needs.

BBC Sounds has a far more restrictive set of conditions attached, but it also exposes far more features like full ondemand from the BBC.

On this new system as part of the design we decided to make it as nonintrusive as possible. We provide this service to sell hardware products, rather than most directory companies who inherently accumulate user listener habits / use it to direct adverts at users to pay for the service.

That means:

• we store no listening or browsing habits on a per user basis.

• we only geolocate users to country level only and we don’t persist this server side. This is to ensure we offer the right streams to users, and customise menus accordingly so applicable for their country. It’s also used to redirect to the correct server as we have multiple around the world.

• we don’t know how long you listen to radio stations. Once you press play and the URL is resolved it is strictly a connection from streamer to radio station server.

• favs and upcoming user added stations are stored in the product.

• no adverts are injected by Naim. If you hear an advert its from the station / company hosting the stream.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

26 Likes

@Stevesky Thank you for this elaborate answer!
And I’m pleased to hear Naim is taking our privacy so seriously.

4 Likes

Hi @Sympa

Good spot. Not sure how we missed that one.

Now corrected:

It’s also been added as a brand in the Italy Brand view.

3 Likes

@Stevesky, one more for today.

Cannot find Wyldwood radio, can it be added, please?

1 Like

Hi @Kryptos

Good one. Now added in the UK directory as:

Wyldwood Radio

Best

Steve

1 Like

Thank you, Steve!!

Any info on rollout to Muso in North America?

Super ! Thank You very very much.

Hi @Dzayia

Muso2 build should be going live this week. The team are rolling out the builds gradually as its a big update, so need to make sure all is stable as a lot of units out there.

Best

Steve

6 Likes

Thanks as always!!