Ovator s-600 torque settings

Hello to everyone.
I bought the Ovator s-600 about a year & a half ago & since they were already used for about 5+ years I am thinking to check the torque settings.
I searched the forum & I found various topics but no topic refers to the exact numbers.
I would be grateful if anyone can provide me the exact torque numbers of the woofers, the BMR (front & back) & the crossover.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Vaggoz

I have a copy of Naim’s data sheet for the S600s. If you ask our leader @Richard.Dane he may still have a copy that I sent to him relatively recently. Richard, if you would like a copy sent again, please let me know, I have your details.
I have S400s as well as S600s. Unless you have the means to measure, best advise I received was to slacken off each drive unit then re-torque. That avoids missing an overtightened unit; best use a torque screwdriver that is accurate enough for the settings required. I have only reset the front units, nothing else. Take care to ensure the speakers are totally level and stable. @BenBSK had an issue with levelling his S600s iirc. Ben may may be able to add some thoughts.
There are several threads on here, regarding the order of subsequent retightening, by rotation or by alternating opposites, ymmv.

Best Rich

2 Likes

Hello Rich & thank you for your response.
Could you please pm the data sheet???
Thank you in advance,Vaggelis.

I can e-mail it to you, if you will allow me to do so.

Yes Richard,please.
Thank you for your assistance.

You have e-mail.

1 Like

Thank you very much Richard.

1 Like

Hi Vaggoz

Lots of info on this thread - Ovator S600 slight lean?

I not only did the various drivers, but also the plinth bolts and the gaps. All worthwhile.

Rich/Sound-hound’s data sheet from Naim is very helpful - as mentioned key thing is to loosen and re-tighten.

BenBSK

Hi Ben

Good to hear it was worthwhile, I figured you had gone further than my own experience.

Best Rich

Just finished re-torque- in 10 minutes time.
First I gently tighten every screw to check if any was loose.
Then i loosened every screw & then tightened one by one.
I checked the BMRs back screws as well (only the four perimetric not the central ones).
As expected the bass drivers were well tightened.
The BMRs,both front & back needed some tightening,especially the ones on the right speaker.
Unfortunately here is still noon,wife & daughter still asleep,so I can’t audition any changes yet…
Did anyone notice any acoustic behaviour changes by re-torque?
Please let me know.

I know you are talking about torque, but since this is also a mechanical engineering topic, are you using the specially designed Ovator speaker plugs too?

No friend,I don’t.
I use the Nordost banana plugs with the Nordost Dreamcaster speaker cable(10m per side length)

Okay. I only mentioned it because I once had the pleasure of meeting Naim’s Paul Neville who took me through some of the mechanical intricacies of the Ovator design but in layman’s terms. Basically everything has been considered from a mechanical engineering standpoint as well as acoustical and electrical, hence the speaker plugs. It left a big impression on me about how I consider Naim as a company.

I’m glad you have addressed the torque.

1 Like

Unfortunately when I bought the Ovators last year there was no shop that could provide me these plugs.
I waited for more than six months but nothing came up…
So I decided move on without them.
If someday I find them I will surely buy them.

1 Like

Yes. It’s had to quantify, but after retorquing a violin sounded as it should. It was a bit too steely before retorquing.

I managed to listen to music for about an hour earlier.
The main difference is the more controlled,fast & tight mid bass.
The highs sweetened a bit…just a bit…lol.
I will give them their time.
Then i will try to re-torque only the BMRs with less torque this time (1.95-1.97nM) & see if they sound better.

Hello to everyone.
A quick update.
After a 2 hours listening session this afternoon,I have to admit I am very impressed by the result.
Sound became tight,fast & synchronized (is this the right word???)/balanced to all the frequency scale.
I listened to records that previously sounded harsh on highs-now they sound smooth.
As I said before the mid bass improvement is huge.
I strongly recommend to every Ovator owner to re-torque,if needed.
It only took me 10 minutes times & cost me 45€ for the tool.
Operation completed successfully.

3 Likes

What tool did you use to achieve this kind of precise torque setting?

I set the BMRs to 2nM.
No need for me to set them to 1.97nM.

Tom Tom audio normally have them, but if I remember right they are only nickel plated to match the speaker connectors, so nothing special about them really