Sure
Completely get the “depends which day you ask” thing :+1:

Rag and Bone Man, “Human” is playing in our house right now

2 Likes

‘slightly’ !

1 Like

Human is a favourite here too, although I don’t have it on vinyl…yet

1 Like

Err, yeah, well there is a little bit of Technics left!
I decided having done a few lighter modded SL1200s that actually all I really liked about them was the drive system, so built the rest around that. Mike New bearing, custom platter and a Jelco TK-950L on separate pod so I could have a 12" arm which I’d always wanted to try. All slung in a Birch ply plinth! Looks ok doesn’t it!? Sounds nice too :grinning:

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. Having bought a Rega I’ve been reading their book, A Vibration Measuring Machine. To them, the rigidity of the connection between the bearing and the arm is critically important, and it’s what’s behind Linn’s Keel, which has the arm board and sub chassis as one. To have the arm totally separate pretty much eliminates that rigid connection and on the face of it seems a really bad idea. Maybe it’s different in practice, but the question must be ‘why?’

1 Like

It’s a good question!

In theory - for maximum information retrieval - the bearing and arm must be as firmly coupled as possible. In practice though the coupling medium will always have some resonant behaviour at audio frequencies. Simply put, resonance works against accurate information retrieval. So, some compliance in the coupling medium is not necessarily a bad thing.

Rega have gone down the road of maximum information retrieval, but in doing so had to create as non resonant a coupling as possible. Hence the use of unusual materials and stripped back design. Linn managed it with the Keel, but it required a very stiff but lossy (and expensive) chunk of heavily machined metal to meet both requirements equally.

The modified Technics uses a very different approach, where a massive ply sub structure can give a fairly stiff coupling, while not being inherently resonant. Anything massy will store energy though, which can cause some smearing in the signal.

Gyrodec looks great! out of interest do the signal cables on these come straight out of the arm or via sockets?
thank you

1 Like

As with many things, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I’ve recently be considering a ‘tweak’ to make it all as one. The mind boggles as to the impact it will have, but sure it’ll be a bit of fun finding out!

Thank you.
The cable has a din connector on the base of the arm and then goes straight to the phonostage, no connectors as such (assuming you mean RCA/XLR)

Just because I’m not well versed in the ways of the LP12, how does the Keel achieve both? Sureply a massive block of machined metal can’t be lossy? Or is in the machining?

I think the Solstice does something similar, from the pic on the link below, prompted by this discussion I just asked in the Solstice thread what the benefits are, if indeed that’s the way the Solstice is designed

Actually, thinking about it, a suspended deck has to have them coupled, which explains Linn’s approach, but I don’t think the same applies to the non suspended Rega?

Looking good is that the JBL 100 speakers? …how are they performing with the NAP 100?

System pulled apart for a few cold nights in the garage while the walls were painted, now reassembled and looking happier!

25 Likes

Great setup. Those speakers look beautiful.

1 Like

Great CD collection there! :grin:

Blockquote Sound signature of the amatis is more rounded, less punchy. More detail at lower volume listening

Thanks. That’s interesting, if there is one thing I would ask for in a different speaker it would be for a more linear sound at low volumes. It does seem like I need to turn up the B&W’s to sound their best.

BTW, I have paid to replace a diamond tweeter too :scream:, due to an accident throwing a dog toy.

I’m a very happy Contour s3.4 owner and a few years ago used them with a 282/300 too I now use a Supernait 2. If you ever get the chance try the Gaia II footers with them I found them very useful.

2 Likes

This is almost identical to my front room because of space and domestic harmony my system is in the right alcove with shelving above and the left is for records I use the ikea Kallax cubes stacked up 18 at present 16 of which are filled with 12" records
one other is for 7" and some box sets on average I get 50 per cube.

My speakers stand in front of the alcoves with one to left of the system so far from ideal but it works for me, the records, carpet, furniture all help with the room acoustics and to negate a bit f bass boom caused by the suspended floor I added some Gaia II footers.

1 Like

Yeah L100 Classic. NAP 100 is doing surprisingly good, I have no idea why everybody says that it’s weak. I replaced it with my friend’s Accuphase E-380 and actually couldn’t hear any significant difference. But I can’t hear cables, so it’s just my opinion, but when I replaced Neats SX1 with these L100s - it’s a big difference, definitely a step up.

2 Likes

Thanks Bob,
Fortunately, I’m able to site the system along the left wall and use both the alcoves for Vinyl storage :blush:
My floor is Blue Lias limestone flags laid on sand and earth, so a different set of sound taming issues for me I guess. I’m laying a breathable carpet/rug to cover all but the outside edges which should help :crossed_fingers:but we’ll see.
The room is not far off square too, so that may be another issue to try to cope with.
Here’s the floor freshly cleaned and sealed yesterday.

18 Likes