The fate of the NAC-N 272. Still keeps me awake at night

You read my mind!
I was just thinking about the cabling requirements, doable in principle at least, worst case I can put the NAP on the SN3. No harm trying I guess…

You can do it. I have used both my 250 and the 135s from balanced XLR outputs. But you need special cable.

Valid point and almost certainly not a manufacturing priority for them today given demand across the current portfolio.
I’m only going on what a speculative buyer, potentially not familiar with the subtleties of the Naim website might be aware of.
My guess would be they’re more than aware of the interest and pent up demand but are facing design constraints integrating the NP800 subsystem in to a preamp form factor based on system noise or component isolation relative to the current 272 design.
They may well also be prioritising component availability for products already in the supply chain namely the current ND range.

Yep this may hold true. Naim are or were still building new XS 2 amplifiers with parts left over, albeit at a reasonable discounted price for certain dealers, just very recently. All with full warranties. A bloody good idea if you ask me and for those trying to get their foot on the upgrade ladder with a tight budget.

Agreed, and noted.

It seems that they are aware and that they are working on it. May I point to my previous post further up in this thread, quoting charlie.henderson in the Naim announcement tonight? thread.

And as for the rest of the Naim portfolio… despite the temptation, I’m not going to be drawn on exactly what is going on behind the scenes, but as I’ve said before, we’re listening, and we’re busy, perhaps more so than ever before. I’ve been asked for example about the 272 on many occasions, and while not confirming anything, at times like these I always remember the phrase ‘the best things in life take time, but are always worth the wait’

A very enjoyable amp too and a nice stepping stone to the benefits that lie further up the portfolio.

1 Like

The same team working on the Statement NAIT no doubt :wink:

1 Like

Sweet little amp, i loved mine, especially with a HiCap DR.

2 Likes

I ran mine in a second system alongside the SN2 on primary duties for some time. A very loyal and capable companion he was too.
I should revisit the XS3 for an assessment some time, never gave it much thought given the current focus on the SN3 and now have a Linn Selekt where the XS2 used to be.
Assume you’re enjoying your NDX2 bedding in as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes. A fantastic streamer. Way beyond that of what i was expecting, coming up from the slimline components. :slightly_smiling_face:

Quite a step isn’t it!
I’ve got a 555PS penciled in with my name on it (ex demo dealer unit from an ND555)
Watch this space…

2 Likes

Urm I thought NDX/SN2 completely outperformed 272/250 and so did the majority in the room.

1 Like

I still see a few problems with a SNAITment…

1 Due to the difficult of achieving the necessary levels of electrical and mechanical isolation in a single box (even if the box is partitioned) the overall performance level isn’t going to be dramatically better than the 500 series (and possibly not even significantly better).

2 Due to the way in which the necessary levels of electrical and mechanical isolation would have to be achieved in a single box (even if the box is partitioned) the overall size isn’t going to be that much smaller than the 500 series (probably somewhere about 66% to 75% of size).

3 Due to the difficult of achieving the necessary levels of electrical and mechanical isolation in a single box (even if the box is partitioned) the cost isn’t going to be less than the 500 series, and probably considerably more.

Trust you to pop up and shatter my NAIT dreams :frowning:
I’m annoyed at myself for not thinking of the SNAITment name first though…

Having said that I’m sure if the folks at Naim put their mind to it they could do something at that desired level of performance, something like a mini version of the Pivetta Opera Only for example?

2 Likes

ok, cool. i just prefer the 250DR.

very good but what is the USD real difference? for a separate Naim pre-amp

Guys,

Out of curiosity has anyone tried/heard a 272 with active ATCs?

Regards,

Lindsay

I thought @anon4489532…Nigel was considering them at one time but cannot remember if he ever listened to them, i am sure he rang and spoke to ATC.

There’s definitely a few who have with success , I can’t think of any names but do recall positive experiences. There is also a very good review by Jason Kennedy of a bare 272 with Active 40’s which I think was organised by Naim . There is a link on ATC’s website if you’re curious.