The Naim app is so janky

I still do use both and totally agree. If metadata is missing, I simply edit it on n-serve. Software version 1.7c helps too.

As I said I’ve not had much problem with either app.

Yes, definitely. At the same time, too many members habitually jump to blaming network issues when the issue is clearly in the app.

4 Likes

I have various Naim products dotted around the house, Muso’s, QB’s Core and ND555. The Core and ND555 are connected via Ethernet cable and have never presented any issues whatsoever. The Muso’s were rather slow to appear in the app, albeit not instantly but did appear. I then noticed the thread about BT routers which i have. I have switched off the 5GHZ part of the router and hey presto, instant communication in the app. This has solved it for me.
Keep with it, there must be a simple solution to it.

My Naim App is definitely not Janky!!!

1 Like

Looks like the Wi-Fi section came from the cheapest possible sources. If, say, the application is unable to handle the corresponding delays, the experience of the owners will be a true nightmare!

The problem is with a BT firmware bug, and is not unique to Naim - detailed here:

1 Like

100% agreed Clare. I was chuffed to find a simple solution on this forum.
My app works perfectly. This is a great place for non techies like me to share and find solutions.

2 Likes

Sorry I did say some people and it’s the first time I’ve mentioned it.

Love showing off my Atom but nervous of the app making it look like crap. Naim, please sort this. If another manufacturer did a rival product that sounded as good, (not yet) but with a decent app, then I would be offski. BTW, please can we turn the display off when we want to . Quite distracting during a movie? It can’t be that hard to do for the next update

1 Like

:+1: Sorry, did not mean to suggest that you had, I am just a bit sensitive about this because that was all I heard from some members when I had genuine app issues and don’t want to encourage them :slight_smile:
I do agree that the other way around (network issues getting blamed on the app) happens as well.

2 Likes

I had this as well with the NDX2, I wanted the display on when music was playing but off quickly when no music is playing (including when paused), but did not want it to go to standby all the time. Steve Harris kindly suggested a way to do it, I guess this works with the Atom too (?).

• Set display to ON during playback. This makes album art show during playback, but also for 12 hours when music is paused and unit is not in standby, which I found annoying.
  • Enable a short standby time. this ensures that display turns off soon when nothing is playing and even when music is just paused.
  • Enable server mode. Keeps the unit essentially running despite the quick standby.

Not the most logical way one would look for, but works for me. YMMV

1 Like

YOU ARE A GENIUS! Found it in display settings. App seems to be behaving better since I got a new modem last week. I use the Android version

1 Like

Steve Harris is :slight_smile:

After an impressive 10 days into my streaming life I have yet to have an issue with the app. It just works, finds stuff quickly wherever it is and plays music. Liking the simplicity, perhaps more seasoned members require more from the app than me but I’d like to think most of the app bugs are behind us now.

1 Like

+1

I would concur.

The simplicity of the UI is the big plus for me. I have a Blue Sound Pulse Flex for the kitchen and I find that app a little cumbersome.

2 Likes

I love the Naim apps design for the most part. If they could speed up the initial connection I’d be delighted. It s great to have an app that isn’t flashing pop ups in my face about some new social feature I don’t want!!

2 Likes

The slow initial connection, if you are experiencing that, is solely down to your network.

I just opened the Naim app for the first time on a new iPad and it took under a second to find my six Naim products…

1 Like

The app is reasonably reliable but unacceptably basic. I suspect a large part of this is because it started life intended to play your own ripped CDs not tracks from commercial streamers.
I stream everything from Qobuz so could use their app via chrome cast except they can’t get it to work with Naim. Whose fault is that?
Those opting for streaming listen in a different way perhaps comparing several different performances of the same symphony for example. So folders are an important requirement.

The most basic missing requirement is the ability to list recently played tracks so for example you could check back and see which versions of a symphony you might have listened to in the past. This has to be the most elementary form of computing.

And the filter function should work off the meta data such as the composer, the orchestra, the date et cetera and not just search the title.

But for those who find a single subscription to a streaming service with 5 million tracks sufficient why not simply enable the use of that Providers app and all its data including information about the album which can be a point of differentiation between them. If it can’t be got to work on chrome cast Why can’t the naim app just suck their data as well as their music.

If Naim wishes to be taken seriously in streaming it needs to considerably improve the app. There is no point in striving for great sound quality if you can’t access what you want to listen to. It’s a bit like making a great sounding CD player that has a rubbish drawer mechanism

4 Likes

Chromecasting from the Qobuz app on my phone to the NDX2 works just fine for me, within the limitations of Chromecast (no gapless).

However, the Qobuz app isn’t doing most of the things that you expect either. For more complex needs, none of the streamer apps I know do. Neither does the Bluesound one. Maybe more advanced library management it too much to expect from player apps. I would recommend looking into Roon - not perfect either, but surely closer

2 Likes