The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Both the units for sale this week are for exactly that reason, upgrade to 350.

Just need someone to upgrade/move on from 350 now….

We are totally in two minds - continue upgrading lounge (where system is already adequate) but could take 552, ND555, 350s or new speakers…… OR start replacing SuperUniti with a proper system in office, due to tumbling SH prices.

Looking at your profile, if there are good deals Iain…….

You have invested pretty heavily in OC gear already, I assume, because you like it.
Do you like the NC presentation (?) and if so I think it was Jason Gould who commented they are effectively the sum of their parts which may have consequences…
If you like a deal and your existing kit is leaving you unsatisfied the OC will provide better value no doubt.

2 Likes

We are not at all unsatisfied!

Loving our classic system, but always looking to squeeze a bit more out of it.

Dealer has always said the ND555/552 need each other to really shine and is telling us we’d need to invest in speakers before getting 350s.

So the next step, in whichever direction we go, is a big financial punt.

Source first mantra should probably mean we swerve NC for now and get the classic pre or streamer on deals, or as they are discontinued.

1 Like

I actually prefer the 222/555DR/250 to the NDX2/252/SCDR/250DR. I would expect the 333/332/250 to push quite a bit beyond that line up. Imo the NC hierarchy has evolved and comparison to OC are not generally linear.

1 Like

Your posts are interesting.

Well you didn’t like the 250DR

And you didn’t like the 252 because you ran it with non DR PSU which many posters agree was a weak combo

Not sure you have ever owned a an NDX2?

So are you saying you prefer your NC222, 555PSDR and NC250 to a combination of boxes you’ve never actually had in your home, or even listened to?

1 Like

The 250DR was the best of the bunch and I liked it until I heard the 250NC and I put the DR ahead of the 250.2. I owned and/or demoed all the kit in my comment. I know it’s hard for some to accept the OC kit is no longer the latest and greatest and that customers old and new are going to prefer the NC to the OC. It’s no big deal, listen to what you like.

2 Likes

We’re well aware our kit isn’t the latest or greatest. But it still stands up very well.

But those imbuing the 222 with capabilities it doesn’t have is frankly a little silly.

We thought it best to check out the new kit before making any real decision on where to go with our office system (there’s another thread running on that).

1 Like

I’m getting confused now. Did you do a direct comparison between these two set-ups? I can’t imagine people would be lining up to sell the 252 setup for the 222 one? Though, to be fair, the 252 system would be much better with a PS fronting the NDX2.

3 Likes

May be you should allow for the remote possibility that some of us did not quite get along with the NDX2 and, for all its virtues and richness, it always sounded a bit bloated to me - and the XPSDR did not help in this respect either.
May be this has something to do with why the NDX2 chip was not used further? Or may be not?
May be you should trust your own ears more and not the “couple of dealers” with golden ears who you keep quoting? Or may be not?
Personally, I couldn’t be happier with the new music interpretation that the NC offers. I even let my Nait 2 go because of that. (And yes, I know that’s probably not ok!:))

2 Likes

It’s very much each to their own.

We like the NC sound and will be exploring it more.

naim have explained their chip choice, it simply sounded better in the new implementation.

4 Likes

I’m the one in this conversation that can comment on the abilities of the 222 and the OC kit I’ve mentioned. My opinion is as valid as anyone’s. The NDX2 is a good streamer but it’s not the best for SQ. And the OC separates were not a value proposition for me b/c for the money the SQ wasn’t up to par. Which is why I went the 272/555/250DR route which for the money is pretty good SQ. But none of it compares to the NC which is different and better for me to my ears. YMMV.

1 Like

Always amazes me how some change bits after only a few months of ownership, and they always get “close to what I paid for it” :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

A little curious as to which “we” you are referring to in this context?

We as in my wife and I.

Our system is a team effort, being in the lounge. SQ and aesthetics both must coexist.

I want a Dave, hard sell. Nd555 more likely to gain approval - slot in for NDX2.

Compromise.

5 Likes

The 222/300/250NC is streets ahead of the 272/PSU/250.

No doubt there.

But 272/XPSDR/250DR (which we owned) was easily beaten for SQ as a streaming platform by ND5XS2/282/HCDR when we demoed. Not really even close.

So going from a 272/PSU/250DR is no doubt a wow moment, the 222/300 being better than that old (282 based) classic combo to our ears (even on a very short listen). Jump up in SQ. And the new naim house sound.

1 Like

Depends on the marketplace.

Some countries perhaps.

UK NC250 are already available at 25% discount, trade ins from upgrades to 3xx.

1 Like

You’re entitled to your opinion but I found the 272/555 to be better than ndx2 fronted separates up to 252 and even then it wasn’t that much better. NDX2 needs a PS to get in the competition. That’s not to say the 272 is exceptional or anything but the 555 really makes it shine. And it’s all neither here nor there at this point because the 222/555/250 is a big improvement over them all and that’s mostly due to the change in sonic characteristics.

1 Like

Everyone’s ears are different.

We put an nDAC in front of a 272 and, even with the most basic streaming source, it was a huge improvement over gen1 streaming/DAC in the 272 with XPSDR (to our ears).

Strength of the 272 was the pre section in our opinion.

2 Likes

Question is if a customer bought a 250NC and then bought 350 NCs would they take a big hit or would the dealer give a nice discount to sweeten the deal. Some want the latest and are ready to trade in after months.

For me I try to buy used always. I got great deal on mint Focal Sopra 2s. Half price 6 months old.

Wish you could get 350NC for half price 6 months old. Maybe 25% off at best, if that I reckon 350s will hold value until new 500NC series comes out. Which will be an amazing barmy system close to statement I reckon.

2 Likes