The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Had to write this post so we got past the devil’s number, "For it is a human number its number is six hundred and sixty-six…":skull_and_crossbones::sunglasses::notes:

4 Likes

I bought a hicap because of him. And that was just over lunch break! He kept trying with the “you want sl2’s” though. Always the salesman.

3 Likes

Hi @BackToNaim,

The mech design team did HB hardness tests to choice the appropriate the acrylic.
Scratch coat was tested too. This would give inclusions and was rejected.

Typically acrylic is UV resistant and will not yellow of matt over time. Polycarbonate, used on car headlights because of its strength does yellow and matt from UV. Typically a coating is added to extend life.

Naim has used acrylic before on large volume controls, bottom of mu-so and the centre section of statement etc.

We recommend using the supplied cleaning cloth. Ultimately acrylic can be polished.

Best
Steve

5 Likes

Plus 1 this. I have an acrylic turntable which is very easy to keep in good shape.

I have a custom acrylic turntable cover, and it is very easy to polish out scratches and mars, to restore it to brand new appearance.

Hi @Devraj

As you say normally naim pre-amps have the PSU either in the power amp (e.g. NAP200) or external, such as SuperCap. It sound better this way because of the removed electromagnetic fields, vibrations.

Pre-amps were generally released at separate times over the last 50 years. As such they have different PSU requirements. e.g. going from a 202, to a 252, to 552 requires 2 to 3 PSU changes.

We wanted to create a flexible easy to upgrade range with more choice to the customer. We did not want to force a mandatory PSU at this level, we also listened to people wanting less boxes.

The NAC 332 gives the choice of an external PSU to the customer.
The NPX 300 being universal in the NC range allows upgrades to the source or pre-amp or both or swap over from one to the other. It is also possible for everyone to hear the difference an external transformer makes.

To be able to offer this flexibility the pre-amp outputs had to move from the PSU to the back of the pre-amp. It took around 6 months of trying pototypes until the new scheme worked in the listening room. Essentially there’s a new audio star point in the pre-amp formed by adding more regulators.

Best
Steve

9 Likes

Steve you will never answer I know but I would like your opinion on the nac332 without the external psu :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

NVC TT was designed for the Solstice and to be marginally more affordable than SL but more significantly more flexible. The circuits work very well and would sing more if they were on suspension (brass and springs) like the SL.

SQ is close, I prefer the SL.

7 Likes

Agreed Steve and the SL with SC providing the juice is a fair amount better than the Solstice combo in my experience.

Though according to some people (and the earliest reference to it) the actual number is 616. Just saying.

Hi Steve
Thanks for giving so much information about the boxes. I really value your contribution to this forum.
I bought a solstice special edition
What is the difference if any between the solstice NPX TTT and NVC TT and the 300 series ones please?
Ian

1 Like

…marketeers grow them, unless they stop holding hands with engineers!

Thanks Richard,

So your first guess would be, adding a XPS dr to the NDX2 or ND555, have a bigger impact, compared to changing the 282 for a 252?

I would like to think the 500dr was still top off the pile apart from the statement amp’s, especially when you look at the price difference between it and the 350.
But that gap has probably been massively reduced, and now the question will be is it worth the extra coin over the 350.
Not long till we find out that answer.

The question a lot will be thinking is, what will the new 500 range be like, and when do i sell lol

3 Likes

Yes.

Thanks Richard,

So I think I will try two things first, when the new 300 serie is for demo.

I will at a XPS dr to the NDX2, and I will try the new preamp with its PSU without the NDX. Will be interesting

The lyrics are from the song “The Number of the Beast” by Iron Maiden :innocent:

I think you’ll find that the ‘lyrics’ are from the Bible in the Book of Revelations :wink:

3 Likes

It’s Emperor Nero (the 616 and 666)

Emperor Nero defo linked to 666 (by some ) but the line about ‘it is a human number’ or ‘the number of a man’ in some translations is from Revelations

1 Like