The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

There’s always going to be a form v function fight with heavy hi-fi kit :grin:

I’ll take Fraim (standard form) over Hutter’s oil rig approach any day.

1 Like

It certainly won’t ring like the aluminium box sections do, being a smaller tube. But it might affect the sound?
As been said it will also greatly increase the load on a much smaller area, and as you add more shelves, and weight, the lower shelves could certainly fail.
As doing something like this myself on the rear leg only, does give me the information on how much area each tube is sitting on, and it will only be a few mm round each hole, certainly not much, and certainly not how it was designed to take a load.

It appears from further up the thread based on an interaction with Jason Gould at a dealer event that Naim intend to make one available, supplied by them to their design, tapered in a T shape perhaps?
We’ll know once they materialise I guess!

2 Likes

I’m curious if the nova series is the nait/supernait of the new classic or are we going to get a new device that will become the nait/supernait new classic?

Are Naim fraims difficult to put together. I’m going to look at one of these racks for my gear.

Not particularly. See my Fraim build instruction thread in the forum FAQ.

1 Like

Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!

2 Likes

Until you forget that the glass shelf isn’t fixed to anything it’s sat on and try shoving a Powerline in “as far as it will go”.
Put another way, always support the front edge with your other hand to stop the whole lot sliding forwards and dropping off the rear cup and ball.

7 Likes

Yes and it’s not really suitable for those in frequent earthquake zones.

1 Like

Heart stopping when it happens, particularly when trying to extract a NAP or PS mid rack.

I’m sure I’m not alone in my personal experience of doing it!
Have you tried different XLR cables on your 200 System out of interest?

Anyone with a Fraim that claims it hasn’t happened to them is clearly a lying liar. :rofl:

6 Likes

Well yes it has happened to me BUT only on the shelves that I didn’t attach the supplied plastic locating cups to the glass shelf. Each shelf comes supplied with x2 with a template to attach them in the correct position. Most of my shelves I don’t have them… turntable and pre-amp shelves are the exception for me :man_shrugging:

Yeah, I never glued those locator cups on. It’s mostly not an issue since I rarely mess with my setup. About twice a year I break it all down and reassemble to clean everything (floor, Naim boxes, glass shelves, etc). That’s when I tend to get distracted and forget to hold the front of a box while plugging cables in the back. The worst part is when the ball rolls around beneath the whole thing. Otherwise, it’s never done any damage.

2 Likes

100% the truth!!!

Before I had Fraim some friends were talking about dropping/rolling ball bearings and I didn’t know what they were talking about. On my second Fraim shelf setup I knew exactly what they were talking about.

1 Like

Hearing people talk about Fraim is like hearing people talk about having kids. They tell you, in abstract terms, how great it is for one minute. Then the next 10 minutes is a specific list of all the reasons not to do it.

8 Likes

Funny, but not true in either regard :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pricing for the new classic 300 series still isn’t listed locally.

I estimate:

• $16K aud for either 332 or 333.
  • $26k aud for 2x 350.
1 Like

We can all guestimate but it’d be nice to see the prices confirmed.

1 Like