Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

These things happen unfortunately, and it’s obvious that exchange or refund is the correct resolution. My PMC stands were absolutely immaculate and beautifully made, so this is clearly an oddity.

On a more positive note, Mrs HH has won a £1,000 prize on the premium bonds. It’s the first time we’ve won a £1,000 prize. In fact she got six prizes, but I got none, which at least is a good example of the randomness of the draw.

3 Likes

Well done to Mrs HH. I am glad you said you got none, if only, as I got none as well.

I went through a spate last year with three months of nothing, thinking I must have slipped out of the system, then wins each month from last September.

My dealer opened up another box and it has the same defect. I think they received a bad batch.

£75 for me this month, so that’s 75 more chances next month :+1:

Delivered as many election leaflets as I can .

That’s it

Thinking I may walk to our local farm shop in the next two weeks , given my unhealthy knees , that is a vast improvement compared to five months

3 Likes

Bloomin’ election leaflets! I’ve got plenty of cuts on the back of my hand from sharp letterboxes. The key is to use a spatula, but that means you need to put the rest of the leaflets in a bag and ultimately it’s slower. I’ve done various meetings, hustings and a quiz night last week, and got to meet our candidate a good few times. Rashly I said I’d be a teller on Thursday, and now am down for four hours. Still, it will give me something to do while Mrs HH works at the polling station.

1 Like

Any leaflets through my letterbox go straight in the bin un-viewed.

6 Likes

Hopefully it’s the recycling rather than the bin.

Yes, recycle bin.

Apt. So we’ll see all the same-old same-old again in a few years.

I am surprised some people get any mail with the ferocity of the mailboxes .

My favourite , the boxes by the side , my least favourite letterboxes six inches above the ground . I took one look and decided not to bother

My American friends and neighbours are constantly astonished by letterboxes in British front doors. “Why would you give strangers access to your home?” is the general response.

I used to explain that the UK is far too civilized to worry about anyone abusing letterboxes. Oh, how naive…

3 Likes

It was OK when the letterboxes were just being used by Royal Mail. Nowadays it gets used for junk mail (unsolicited), charity bags etc.
If I catch the perpetrator I give them their crap back. Some days there is so much the letterbox is jammed open - not great in winter when I’ve spent a load of money on a composite door to keep draughts out.

The ‘charity’ bags I keep to use as bin bags as they are dubious anyway. :thinking:

The leaflets are all shiny so not much use…:poop:

1 Like

I found that if I use my fingers to push in the middle of the leaflet to open and get it through the letter box I get protection for my fingers. First time I did 400 over an 8 mile distance in 3 hours of estate deliveries.

Phil

Optician referred me for cataracts on both eyes. The main issue was the prescription was constantly changing for letters at medium to longer distances. Advice: don’t try to guess what you can’t read on the test charts. Just tell them the letters that are sharpe even if others on the same line are not.

Phil

2 Likes

I went to see the IBD nurse in Chichester yesterday, as I’ve been having lots of problems. After my blood test I called in at Pallant House Gallery, which has one of the best collections of British art in the country. They are running an excellent still life exhibition, which is well worth seeing. In the corner of the last room was this…

It’s by Gavin Turk, made in bronze and painted. I thought it was rather fine, but then I like his stuff, especially the Blood Head, which I saw at the Saachi Gallery when it was still in County Hall. Anyway, last week Mrs HH went to her u3a art appreciation class, and some of the members were showing pictures of their recent visit to the Pallant House exhibition. They showed various pictures, and then the Gavin Turk, with the comment ‘someone must have left rubbish bag in the corner’.

1 Like

Isn’t that the sort of reaction that Gavin Turk set out to elicit? Just a thought…

1 Like

Quite possibly, it just made me chuckle.

Art nowadays eh! I think it is rubbish.

1 Like

What. To dismiss all art just cause you dislike/don’t get something is a bit over the top.