Time for a change?

When there’s a chance of lightning I keep an eye on a lightning tracker app.

Probably more entertaining than useful but sometimes it can give you a clue where it’s going.

Doesn’t look like good news for claret lovers toninght.

We had a 1 minute power cut last Friday, no thunder, no warning but long enough to pull the plug on the system before it came back up. The induction hob hasn’t worked since though.

2 Likes

@Polarbear I would be interested in your thoughts on this cable. I tried them and could not really tell a difference between them and SL. In the end I took out the SL as I could not tell a material difference between those and stock ones! I was planning to try again as I have the Titan Speakers now rather than NBL’s but not sure… I may just try the Witch Hat stuff instead. I had a great chat with them a few months back and feel what they are doing will suit me and my ears. The mark up on cables is pretty high as I am sure you know so when you factor no dealer margin and a smaller profit margin for Which Hat due to them being a smaller operation/less marketing etc it means they can offer a cable for significantly less than the likes of Naim but maintain a high quality. I am excited to see if this is the case of course! I can get 2x interconnects, 1x Din/XLR Pair, Speaker Cables and a Snaic for less than the Naim SL Din/XLR pair. Good returns policy too. They can also extend if needed. A few people here use them and seem to be happy. Nice to have options ehh?!!

Thanks for that Yeti. I might keep eye on it later today for SW London.

That’s one interpretation which includes a few assumptions. Another interpretation is that they do in fact pocket more profit on each one sold.

… and another (my) interpretation is that we have absolutely no idea, and shouldn’t care anyway. Buy the ones you like which are in your budget.

One question Yeti, with a quick response to not disturb this interesting thread. I live in a city, in a building. My system is in front of a solid wall, at a distance of 3 meters from the window on that side. The other window is on the opposite side, around 6 meters from the system.
Have I any risk for the hifi system if there are thunderstorms?
Sorry Polarbear, it’s only one question.

My understanding is that if your building is struck the wiring conducts electricity throughout the house. It’s why unplugging is essential rather than just switching off. I doubt it is likely that the lightning will come through a window. It tends to strike high objects that give it a route to earth.

Just my understanding of course.

1 Like

I use a lightning surge protector here in France. LeGrand will do something similar such as

Parafoudre monophasé débrochable et autoprotégé type 2 12kA 230V - 003951

1 Like

Unplugging is what I’ve always learned (and do) too.

1 Like

Some say that the surge protector is not good for optimal sound quality.
Maybe I should open a new thread…

That’s what I’'ve always found. I just switch off and unplug when I’m worried.

1 Like

Anyway, back to the music,:blush:.

I am using the stock XLR’s here, not the SL’s. I tried the SL’s when Pete came round a couple of weeks ago and although initially impressed with the SL’s it soon became obvious that they were too aggressive and in your face and by the end of the day the standard cables were in the system.

To my ears the Chord music XLR’s portray a much bigger sound stage, they go deeper and higher and the soundstage increases significantly. Not only that but the space around vocals is improved and the music becomes more three dimensional.

Don’t forget I have gone back to the cheap and nasty power block I have been using since the Powerhaus M6 went to back. One would imagine that when this comes back the combination of Chord Powerblock and XLR’s is going to be pretty substantial.

5 Likes

We hear it the same Polarbear!

Well doesn’t rime fly by, it’s three months since the system was back and working again and all the advice to leave it for three to six months was spot on.

I am sitting here listening to Dianna Krall’s “the girl in the other room” and life is very good. It’s a totally different system to what I had three months ago. More what I would expect from a 500 system, life and vitality, depth and detail. Diana’s voice is very seductive and sexy and the music is detailed and delicate, plenty of space and air around all the instruments. Everything is very believable and relaxed.

At the moment, I have the original Musicwork power block back in place so there are Improvements to be had when I upgrade the power block and possibly improvements to be had when I upgrade the power leads but it’s sounding very believable and enjoyable at the moment :blush:

13 Likes

Glad to hear that it has all been sorted and has settled down.

1 Like

Are you still using the Ground Aray? I’ve added one each to my EE8 switch and NDX2 in the end.

Yes, I still have the ground arrays in place, how are you getting on with them?

Yes, pretty pleased. I’ve found using 2 of them gives a nice refinement - a cleaner more resolving presentation without compromising the dynamics. More micro-dynamics that connects me more into the music.

There’s a thread about it here, but the skeptics have arrived to cast wisdom without trying them :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The sceptics rarely try for themselves but I like to hear products before I comment :blush:

I also ended up with two arrays, one in the redundant rca and the other in a redundant din socket. A third makes no difference at all. Yes, they tidied up the sound making it cleaner and clearer, with everything easier to follow.

If everything was spot on in the first place I could believe these products make no difference but my system was lacking through poor power supply and the room does have an effect and always will. It’s a matter of getting the best out of what you have and the ground arrays help improve the sound.

4 Likes

Groundarays is like vaping amplifiers.

Never.