Toots Hibbert RIP

Woke up this morning shocked and deeply saddened to hear the news that Toots Hibbert has passed away

RIP
Love & Respect
Frederick Toots Hibbert

3 Likes

It was only 2 weekends ago I heard him being interviewed on RadMac on 6Music for his new album. A great loss.

2 Likes

A true reggae legend.

R.I.P. Toots, and thanks for all the choons.

1 Like

We had tickets to see him last Friday on what was billed has is final tour, cancelled due to the pandemic.
His new album is out and he never made it out of hospital.
My wife’s in tears, were shocked and gutted

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Just posted this on the Reggae thread, but perhaps better here. This band was my introduction to Reggae thanks to my brother spending his year off teaching in Kingston.

1 Like

One of our favorites. Saw him live and they put on quite a show!

RIP.

1 Like

Now Playing @ 6Music with Tom Robinson have devoted this evening’s programme to Toots. Lots of reggae and ska - great programme. You can catch it on Sounds

2 Likes

1 Like

R-1619741-1355086819-4429.jpeg

R-8368676-1515974469-8105.jpeg

In 1988 continuing the Funk/Soul influence Toots travelled to Ardent studios in Memphis for this sometimes overlooked essential recording of Toots paying homage fusing classic soul and reggae

Have them all and love them on vinyl.

Funky Kingston FTW. Toots Life Matters.

1 Like

Early Studio One classic from the Ska era

R-2948025-1308649015.jpeg

1 Like

Lovely early footage of The Maytals, Jimmy Cliff, Prince Buster, Eric Monty Morris…

1 Like

Along with Jimmy Cliff, The Maytals introduced the world outside of a Jamaican audience to the sounds of Reggae.
The Harder They Come blew me away, a life changing experience for me

1 Like
1 Like

Keith Richard’s is a great lover and supporter of Reggae music, especially Toots.
This always brings a smile to my face, Keef n Toots kicking back and having a great time on this version of Pressure Drop

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

And of course Joe & The Clash who turned Junior Murvins Police & Thieves & The Maytals Pressure Drop into Punk insurrectionist anthems and the Brixton riot of '81

lhttps://youtu.be/ZjP8sbdQaq8

R-103078-1268773045.jpeg

Indeed, he was loved and admired well beyond the Reggae scene and recorded with a host of admirers from the Rock, Pop,Soul and Country fraternity including Keith Richards, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, Ryan Adam’s, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Ben Harper, Bootsy Collins
Check his True Love album

R-931567-1268086024.jpeg

1 Like