Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

I meant putting a streamer between the digital output on the ND5 and the input on your amp. There’s no analogue input on the streamer to add a DAC in front of it.
This was a popular upgrade with the old Naim streamers, and for some of us, with the new models too.

1 Like

Please keep us updated on progress with streamer and I would also like to know how you get on with speaker placement. Pics would be nice

I wouldn’t worry. Enjoy your ND5 XS 2! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Chris,
no not as yet.

I’m trying to build up my finances at this moment, things have been tough since Christmas but all is well and the building is under way. I am going to the Bristol Show first of all, then I shall explore with my dealer on some stand mounts. In the mean time, I’m just stabilising. No rush. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll tell you what - One Cisco PD 2960 switch (no nutty cascading), all Blue Jeans Cat 6a is no bad thing. It can be hidden and easily disguised. Tidal loads up quicker through the Naim app and the music sounds terrific. In my ‘set-up’ grand scheme of things, it’s tolerable. :slightly_smiling_face:

Stephen, are your speakers still bothering your neighbours with bass? Maybe you can try putting Gaia III footers from Isacoustics under your speakers. I installed some on mine. They isolate the speaker from the floor. Maybe less bass will get through and your neighbours won’t mind as much. They also improve the sound!

Stephen. You could try listening to Bach instead of Misty In Roots.

1 Like

A good system should be equally happy with both. The Art of Fugue on organ has deeper bass that Misty could ever dream of.

2 Likes

Sorry it was just a stab at humour. Room for both genres of music on any system.

Stephen - take a look at some of the PMC floor standers when you do start auditioning. Motives just wouldn’t work in our lounge when we moved (quite a while ago now) and PMC’s with their front facing TL exit worked very well.

James

4 Likes

Hello James. Which pmc are you using. I had a demo of the 25/23 and they sounded brilliant but I thought they vented down through the plinth which is useful for positioning close to walls.

The 25/23 has a front opening for the transmission line, as James mentioned. There is no downward facing port.

You can see the transmission line vents at the front of this picture.

3 Likes

The Art of Fugue via PMC 25:26 can vaibrate the sash windows 2 rooms away even at normal levels in the listening room. Just about as good as the Usher Hall Organ here in Edinburgh music you feel as well as listen to.

1 Like

Thanks for that information HH . I stand corrected. I thought they were similar to the sx2. They certainly are a stunning speaker but perhaps not as room tolerant as I thought. Home demo essential I’m thinking

I think they are very room tolerant. I’ve tried a few reflex speakers - Neat Motive 1, Spendor A5, Naim Allae and none have worked here. But PMC GB1i and 20.23 were both excellent. The front opening means they can go pretty close to the back wall. They are super speakers.

1 Like

Can you give me a suggestion as to what artist/recording to listen to Fugue? Tidal is where I would give it a go. Complete classical newbie.

Here you go. This is a classic. The Fugue is a wonderful piece of music and there are countless interpretations including piano and string quartet. The organ is where it all started. This recording was recommended to me by George, a former Forum member and great lover of Bach.

2 Likes

Takes me back to steam organs on the sea front at Llandudno in the early 60’s, ah, childhood so long ago!

Thanks for all your here suggestions folks.
I agree in that the downward firing port from my Motives may be causing me problems in the bass department. I hadn’t thought about PMC 25.23 and seems a good suggestion from James, maybe because I thought my amplifier isn’t quite up to them? I don’t really know, I will certainly mention them to my dealer as they stock plenty of PMC speakers.

I’m still toying with the idea of stand=mounts. Now if I can find some that sound like the Motives with a touch more detail and a less fruity bass, that wold be great.