Vtuner down

Just loaded the “TuneIn” app on the free trial option. With Chromecast, the sound quality is surprisingly good.

1 Like

Thanks to the various people who signposted to Radio Box, very user friendly although doesn’t give info on bitrates / quality of streams. Sounded OK through earphones (!), havent plugged it in yet.

Clearly getting a good quality DAB tuner to add to my HiFi as a back up option needs researching. Unfortunately I am in a FM black hole, so my Quad tuner is largely decorative!

Can you insert me the logo of this radio box app?

1 Like

Living in Swden and today all of the Swedish Radio have stopped streaming on my Uniti Star, and the internatinal ones as well (eg. Radio Paradise) The only station streaming is Naim Radio, but Naim Classical isn’t . When searching for radio staions in the Naim app e.g. Naim’s choice there are no staions.
On the other hand if I use the Swdeish Radio app directly by casting via Airplay (or built-in Chromecast) the streaming works.
Is this function down due to an upgrade or what?
Worth mentionning is that other steaming services like Tidal and Spotify both are functioning

Going on from some people blaming Naim for vTuner perhaps I should complain and hold Naim responsible for not having a backup power supply for my system as the power has just gone off because of storm Gerrit.

5 Likes

“I’m going to spend £500k on a Naim rig so I can listen to just internet radio”?said no one ever… let’s get some perspective here please. It’s an outage for reasons we don’t understand and I’m sure they’re working hard to fix it. Oh and it’s free to us also.

5 Likes

I’m not sure it matters whether it’s free or not, my streamer was sold with a radio function and it’s not working and I have no alternative to point the function to. How it is provided to the buyer is not really my concern.
Yes, it’s not the end of the world and we are probably making a bigger deal than it really is, I am using airplay so not such a big issue except for alarm function and I’ll use alternatives for the moment. But to me the principle of lack of info or alternatives is the most galling.
If it’s going to be down for a few days or intermittent then just come clean so we can adjust accordingly.

2 Likes

May I ask do you have the new subscription based AV? I have AV v3.50 & don’t think iRadio is supported or works from my Mac.

There have been lots of suggestions about short term get-a-rounds and that is fine, however so far nobody has tried to answer my question that I posted under the topic of "how does iRadio work?

The question (1) was:

1. I was under the impression that Vtuner allowed the streamer to locate the internet connection of a channel of interest. For example, from new with no favourites selected, Vtuner would guide me through to find BBC Radio 3, which I would add as a favourite. From then on and for ever more Vtuner had no involvement on me selecting Radio 3 from my favourites.
    It would seem that this assumption was false, so “how does it work” when it does?

So my simple question remains, having needed Vtuner or similar to identify the location of, in my example Radio 3, is Vtuner involved at all. Is this a mandatory requirement of Vtuner or a uniquely Naim implementation?

But this is like people shouting at Porsche because Shell had an issue with their petrol production. Getting cross on here and “demanding answers” isn’t going to solve anything. All Naim have to tell us is what they’re being told and from what I can see Naim are relaying that to us. We’ve just got to wait or use other means in the meantime.

4 Likes

I think we face here a system with a very weak link. Up to now for FM, all you rely on is the fact that the provider is broadcasting content. If there is a power outage or a problem, at the broadcaster you can still receive other (local) broadcaster. Never, never in my live I faced that the FM overall did not work. Did readers of this forum EVER face the fact that in their car the complete radio was gone ? Idem for DAB. In this case, I already had outages, not for 5 minutes, but for hours of the complete iRadio system the last 2 years. Why, because vTuner is needed ‘just’ to know where the actual selected stream is (i.e. the URL), whish is then, at the end, not streamed by vTuner, but by e.g. BBC, classic FM or whatever content provider. I read that for other less premium brands vTuner starts to ask a montly 0,5 EUR fee, which seems quite a lot, as again the stream content is not coming from them (like spotify), but at the end from the BBC. In case you have thousends and millions of subsribers (paid for by an initial fee as part of the purchase price) then the availability of e.g. 99,99 % (1 hour per year outage) should be contractually guaranteed (which is possible, ask telecom providers).

2 Likes

Thanks! RadioBox works for my NDX2.

Why am I arguing over meaning?

The “principle” is not the same at all. vTuner simply negotiates a connection. I could probably write the code in a couple of days and set up the whole thing on a reliable platform like AWS in one more, with proper off-site backup. I’m not sure you understand the tech behind this.

Also, my main gripe is with vTuner although, as other have pointed out, Naim has to “own” having made that choice. Just a cursory look at vTuner dot com and seeing that ASP NET is being used and the way the URLs are structured would have indicated to me right off the bat that this was not a good idea.

2 Likes

me too, lesson learned

I purchased my Naim streamers primarily for internet radio – that is what they are used for 90% of the time.

2 Likes

vTuner is not a streaming service. It merely establishes a connection for you to the actual internet radio streaming service you have selected on your Naim device.

I’ve been without iradio since Christmas day. I completed a “contact us” on the Naim website but don’t expect an answer unitil the new year!
My get around for the time being is the VRadio app via google play which has chromecast and is free with “visual ads”. Hopefully V tuner will be fixed in the near future until then Vradio will do for the time being. btw it’s coppers to pay for the ad free service literally. It’s also well designed and clutter free.

Indeed not anymore, no radio stations (Vtuner) available in the Netherlands.