Vtuner down

I kind of think it is likely vtuners issue, almost certainly it will be running on a commercial hyperscaler somewhere (Azure, AWS etc) . When they go down, they tend to make the main news headlines even if for a few hours, because they often affect hundreds if not thousands of services. I suspect it’s a software issue in their tenants…

Agreed, though probably beyond their control.
Everyone is dependent on somebody else.

I remember years back being on a support call and after reaching out to team after team, we finally figured out which team was responsible and got them paged. And waited. And waited. And then he joins the call. The reason we were waiting? He was having his tea.

It is definitely vTuners fault! They are providing a service.

Nowadays it is trivial to have two hosting locations (datacenters) on opposite sides of the globe, with short/medium TTL DNS based on availability of service. Last time I setup something similar for a client in Azure cloud it took 30 minutes.

In short, a complete Dallas datacenter outage or a Dallas server crash would impact consumers of this non critical service for perhaps 15-30 mins tops.

Early on, Naim reported communication from vTuner saying it was a server crash in Dallas, Texas.

I kind of think it is their control… as I suggested likely bad software they had created in their virtual instances. Now yes they might outsource the software development and run to a third party… but it is still their responsibility to define those outsource contracts. The buck almost certainly stops with them… in the end their are other web radio curation service providers.

1 Like

But vtuner are undoubtedly relying on someone else services, and can’t push the on/off switch themselves.

From what Steve Harris posted on Christmas Day, it seems that Vtuner have their main servers and back up servers in the same hosting facility in Dallas.

1 Like

If I make a cabinet for you using dodgy rotten wood, is that the fault of the lumber yard?

You are misunderstanding me. The ultimate fault doesn’t necessarily end with vtuner. There’s a long chain of x providing a service to y, providing a service to Z and so on. Vtuner might not be at the end of the chain. For all we know, vtuner are shouting at someone else who is shouting at someone else “fix my service”.

That makes me recall a well known UK telecoms provider who dug one 10k trench, followed by another 6k trench to a critical UK national infrastructure site to provide resilient internet.

The 10k trench went to one telephone exchange A, 6K trench to a second B.

We didn’t realise there was a problem until there was a power issue at a third exchange C……which the provider, despite certifying the connections as isolated, had connected both exchanges A and B directly to….

1 Like

I am sure, there are many hyperscalers in and around Texas. You can usually pay for higher service charges to have regional resilience. …. The whole thing smells shoddy at this moment in time. In many IT industries this would be totally unacceptable by now… unless of course they have been hit by a cyber attack… and are deliberately withholding information on the advice of law enforcement officers at this time.

5 Likes

This type of thing is all automated nowadays.

Services move around the globe based on the availability of physical infrastructure or virtual services without any human intervention.

It’s really very basic cloud service redundancy.

Of course it is, you are ultimately streaming internet radio stations using the vTuner aggregation services, you simply don’t pay a subscription to access the stations.

1 Like

This is such a simple thing, it would only further add to the absurdity of multi-day outage if vTuner was not handling the coding in house.

I don’t think you understand how this works. They are not doing the streaming. They are providing a tiny database lookup.

2 Likes

It could easily be a network card failure somewhere in a data centre, and not anything implemented by vtuner.

I’m bowing out now, this is just going round in circles.

That’s not likely. Either way, why are they not telling us?

Yes, I get that, but if the vTuner system isn’t working you can’t stream the stations using vTuner itself as some kind of proxy to the actual streams even if it’s only handling a few thousand links to the actual streams.

No one here, can solve this for you instantly no matter how inconvenient it is.

Hope it’s resolved soon.

I know it is getting old now, but I turned of my ND5XS the other day and since I turned it back on I cannot get it to list or connect to any BBC stations. NAIM radio, Radio Paradise and Greatest Hits all connect fine. I’ve probably been living on borrowed time looking at the early MUSO posts, but any hope? If there’s no solution for digital radio, I guess I could source an FM unit or spend the money on a Bluesound Node?

1 Like
1 Like