What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

With Augustus Pablo
THE classic dub selection without objection!
:+1:

2 Likes

Josefin Ohrn + The Liberation | Mirage | 2016
Back for more of their Scandi’ psychedelic rock, this time with the full album not the earlier single remixes.

2 Likes

Jimi Hendrix/Band of Gypsies. Songs for groovy children. Disc 1
Move over Rover.

17 Likes

Molly Tuttle - When You’re Ready

6 Likes

While I’m on a roll…
Aston Familyman Barrett, Bass player and musical arranger for Bob Marley & The Wailers (cruelly frozen out by the Marley estate after Bob’s passing, but that’s another story).
Whilst acting as above, Familyman experimented with his own productions away from the Wailers which he released on his Fams label during the 70’s. He invented a sort of electronic drum machine before such things existed and synthesised sounds which were very much ahead if their time and now cost eye watering prices on the collectors market.
The esteemed Canadian Heartbeat label compiled two volumes of Fams productions.
Cobra Style and the companion Familyman in Dub.
I have those CD’s which are now hard to find for sensible money. They do appear on Discogs from time to time but usually rightly go in a flash.
Shame they dont appear available to stream.
R-1511661-1558543936-7231.jpeg R-2217063-1560101790-4733.jpeg
However, Dub Store Japan released a compilation of Fams productions CD/LP which is available to stream, not as good imo as the above, not sure of the provenance of the source (I think dubbed from discs whereas Heartbeat had access to masters) but sounds reasonably OK nonetheless and worth checking
20210126_172540

Aston “Family Man” Barrett & The Wailers Band - Soul Constitution: Instrumentals & Dubs 1971-1982 | Reggae Vibes

:heart:

6 Likes

Moon Duo | Mazes | 2011
More psychedelic stuff with a Bay Area influenced 60s sound albeit they are Oregon based. Lovely fuzzy, spacey music…

1 Like

@Dreadatthecontrols has got me going down a Tubby rabbit hole!

8 Likes

Another great Blood and Fire release

2 Likes

The great Vivian Jackson aka Yabby U, the Jesus Dread
Dread Prophecy
20210126_175539
20210126_183343

5 Likes

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

5 Likes

@TheKevster
With the lovely voice of Michael Prophet
20210126_180841

3 Likes

Keith Hudson classic, self produced with The Soul Syndicate Band (who included Aston & Carlton Barrett)
Tidal Master
20210126_181513

6 Likes

6pm News on R4.

Tremendous speech replay from my NAT05 via SBLs.

Signed,
Former LS3/5a man

3 Likes

On CD:-

Interpol El Pintor

4 Likes

Elbow - Giants Of All Sizes

12 Likes

An amazing and inspiring read for anyone remotely interested in the roots of Jamaican Music.
I’ve spoken of the genuinely legendary Alpha Boys School on these forums before especially on the Reggae thread, but I wasnt aware of this amazing book which I ordered and started reading a few days ago.
Sister Ignatious and the order of The Sisters Of Mercy must be the hippest nuns on the planet. The most unlikely story, that’s almost unbelievable but very true, of how Sister Ignatious took in wayward youth and taught them trades, especially music, Alpha alumni invented Ska and some like Joe Harriott and Dizzy Reece became big respected artists in the international Jazz scene.
It’s so fantastically remarkable that such an unlikely setting created a musical phenomenon that significantly influenced popular music globally.
It’s very likely that without the nuns at Alpha there would have been no Ska, thus Rocksteady, Reggae and all the other worldwide sub genres that subsequently developed.
At around a tenner without doubt this really is a must read

The true story of the school that started a musical revolution.

Ska and reggae music has reverbarated around the planet but without the musical brilliance of the graduates of Jamaica’s Alpha Boys’ School it might never have been that way.

From the Jamaican big band swing of the 1940s and ‘50s through the ska and rocksteady of the 1960s, the global roots reggae explosion of the 1970s and the rise of the new dancehall style in the 1980s, graduates of Alpha Boys’ School have been right at the heart of the musical action, composing, arranging and playing on thousands of the most beloved Jamaican records of all time.

Facing a life of poverty, neglect, abandonment and even homelessness, young boys from the most deprived parts of Kingston were placed at Alpha, a residential home run by a strict order of Roman Catholic nuns. Alongside industrial trade apprenticeships, boys would fight for a prestigous place in the Alpha school band, overseen for an astonishing 64 years by the jazz-loving Sister Mary Ignatius – the true Godmother of Ska and Reggae.

From early Jamaican jazz giants like Joe Harriott and Dizzy Reece to the greatest ska band of all time, The Skatalites and some of reggae’s most inspirational artists such as Cedric Brooks, Rico Rodriguez, Johnny Osbourne, Leroy Smart and Yellowman, the Alpha story is the untold history of Jamaican music.

Join Heather Augustyn and Adam Reeves as they shed light on this remarkable institution and the life and works of over 40 of its most influential graduates.

The culmination of many combined years of work, using personal recollections and a wealth of rarely seen photographs, Alpha Boys’ School: Cradle of Jamaican Music is a must for all lovers of. original ska, rocksteady, roots reggae, dub and dancehall.

What the critics say:

The book’s two authors have gleaned a wealth of new information and insights via their detailed interviews with the school’s former pupils, making this volume not only a fine tribute to the school but also a significant contribution to the ongoing documentation of Jamaica’s musical heritage. Steve Barker, Wire Magazine.
If you’re interested in the development of ska and reggae music, this is well worth seeking out. John Masouri, Echoes Magazine.
This engaging book ultimately heightens Alpha’s perpetual contribution to the evolution of Jamaican popular music. David Katz, Mojo magazine.

A very welcome reference book who’s lightness of touch serves the weight of its subject. Kevin Le Gendre, Jazzwize magazine
(Review from Goodreads)

3 Likes

Intrigued by the thought of a 12+ minute long guitar solo, I gave Frank Zappa a go.
I was never a fan back when and unfortunately he’s still a bit too much for me yet.

Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti

However I did like the pun.

6 Likes

Great record the only thing that I don’t like is Shabaka Hutchin’s demented wasp on speed impression another Coltrane tribute act.

3 Likes

Funny, you were raving bout it on another thread! :rofl:

Apologies to those who dont like Reggae on this thread, been a bit of a take over this afternoon

Laters

6 Likes