What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Yes but are they any good?

This was on the list for yesterday, but so many good suggestions came up on this thread that it just kept getting pushed down the priority. Therefore, first on this morning and thoroughly enjoying it…

5 Likes

About Group - Start & Complete

A favourite album from members of Hot Chip, This Heat, and Spiritualized.

5 Likes

Kings of Convenience Riot On An Empty Street / 2004 Source / EU CD / 072435716652

9 Likes

Mark Knopfler - Down The Road Wherever

16 Likes

Dave Grusin Mountain Dance / 1984 GRP / Japan pressed for US CD / GRD9507

4 Likes

Hi Stevie @gthack Ive been so intrigued to do a bit more reading. It would appear that the mugshot will be in relation to an FBI investigation into conspiracy to defraud the United States and making false statements to harbor illegal aliens, I assume nothing came of that but Osho pleaded guilty to arranging “sham marriages”.
The commune in Oregon was set up as an independent state under the US Constitution able to make its own laws etc. The commune came almost immediately to FBI interest and infiltration and the press was full of negative hysteria fanning coverage alleging all kinds of weird goings on. It appears that the story is full of alleged conspiracy’s, conspiracy theories and typical US establishment paranoia.
Osho’s secretary and a few other followers tried to murder Osho and another and allegedly attempted to spread Salmonella amongst the population at election time. They were denounced by Osho for trying to turn the commune into a religion when his philosophy was anti religous, and were eventually charged with atempted murder.
The sexual abuse allegations appear to come from an ex follower at the commune who wrote an autobiography in which she alleged that her children were sexually abused, without reading the book its not clear by whom.
So, my take I think is that Osho had an alternative philosophy which was perhaps controversial and a way of thinking that made the establishment nervous leading to the paranoia and sensationlist coverage in the media, FBI attention etc, but it was the actions of a faction of his followers that were perverting the philosophy for there own extremist ends and a nervous US establishment/government that lead to the downfall.
What has all this to do with influencing a rapper from West Brom, well I guess you have to seperate the Osho spirtual philosophy from the alleged goings on at the Oregon commune.

2 Likes

Had to pause Dream Theatre whilst I went to the Gym (session number 2 this week :grin:)
Went for a bit of Miley to do my work out and very stimulating it was too. I particularly enjoyed her live Version of The Cranberries “Zombie” :grin:

Second Half of Dream Theatre ‘Metropolis: Scenes from a Memory’ back on now…

4 Likes

That’s great, thank you! I also read around a bit last night, concluding similarly. The B side of the picture disk I bought has a direct reference to one of the followers and the negative impact they had, so if nothing else some of the background to the music and imagery is clearer to me now, more so than it otherwise would have been!

I admit to being generally pretty shallow when it comes to art - “I like what I like” probably sums me up. So on face value I just put the record on and liked it. This does encourage me to be a bit more of an active participant. So there, the “…why might anyone be interested.” box firmly ticked :slight_smile:

:peace_symbol:

3 Likes

Me too!
I didnt quite understand your comment about nervousness, or whatever was the word, about people listening to recomendations. Did you mean people listening to your recomendations? If so I wouldnt be nervous about that, I post plenty here that I like in the knowledge that many will view my tastes as a pile of sh*t :joy:

Btw I forgot to mention the record label Antelope was also the name given to the town/commune in Oregon.

2 Likes

Music On Vinyl 2010 reissue… :notes: :sunglasses: :+1: :grin:

21 Likes

JJ Cale - Stay Around

12 Likes

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :+1: :notes: :grin:

11 Likes

Hi-Fi News The Classics / 2003 naim / UK CD / CD072M

7 Likes

Following @graham55 recommendations, decided to give the other Kleiber a run.
Beethoven’s 6th & Mozart’s 33rd seemed like as good a place as any to start, especially as I have always loved the 6th :blush:

5 Likes

Listened to this yesterday afternoon with the volume up a bit - what a trumpet player !!!

Eric Vloeimans (t)
Hguyen Lee (g)
Lars Danielsson (b) (cel)
Markku Ounaskari (per) (d)

1 Like

I haven’t played this in a while, in fact I haven’t played that much in a while, just been too busy.
Anyhow still a great album, its on dynaflex and sounds terrific!!

13 Likes

Marc Maron WTF Podcast - Courtney Love interview. Wow.

2 Likes

Just be a bit careful with the Mozart symphony, which (if I remember correctly) is an off-air broadcast with an in-house radio orchestra. The Beethoven is a classic Decca studio recording with the Concertgebouw. Do tell how you get on.

1 Like

Ah yes, and @Brilliant noticed Andrea in 2020… how could I have missed her?

2 Likes