What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Remember studying that one in depth for Music O Level !

Side 2 Hary Janos Suite features in Larry Young ‘Zoltan’.

1 Like

@Steve_S. After listening to the soundtrack, its on my watch list for later tonight :+1:

2 Likes

Hank Mobley No Room For Squares / 2000 Blue Note / EU CD / RVG Edition / 724352453924

Hank Mobley Tenor Saxophone
Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd Trumpet
Herbie Hancock, Andrew Hill Piano
Butch Warren, John Ore Bass
Philly Joe Jones Drums

12 Likes

Beatles, 1962-1966. Qobuz.

21 Likes

Always think the combination of Adderley and Axelrod is pretty much unbeatable. Tensity on here is especially good. Qobuz.

8 Likes

Brand new and good for you…

Prince Fatty Meets The Gorgon In Dub (Qobuz HR)

UK producer Prince Fatty (a nod to the great King Tubby) has built a fine catalogue of dub albums and productions with Hollie Cook, Little Roy and others, but how he’s managed to pull this off is something else. Given access to some original tapes from the late Bunny Lee and done his own dub remix, superb.
I’ve ordered the vinyl, in the meantime enjoying the HR stream.

Prince Fatty revisits the vintage Bunny ‘Striker’ Lee reggae catalogue with new dub mixes and edits of 10 classic roots reggae tracks, from the 1970s. Voiced by luminaries from the golden era of reggae. These are all real-time mixes made in the analogue realm and recorded to 15 ips reel-to-reel tape. A very special 12" album on black vinyl. Comes with free high-fidelity download folder with all 10 songs.

Among the original Bunny ‘Striker’ Lee riddim tracks are Linval Thompson’s “Jah Jah A The Conqueror” edited with Tommy McCook’s instrumental arrangement of the same; Jackie Edwards’ “The Invasion,” originally by Burning Spear; Cornel Campbell’s “Press Along,” Horace Andy’s “Don’t Try To Use Me,” Ronnie Davis’ “Sun Is Shining,” originally by Bob Marley; Barry Brown’s “Give Thanks & Praise,” Rod Taylor’s “Garden Of Eden,” Neville Brown’s “Prophesy,” the instrumental track also used on Don Carlos’ “Late Night Blues," Leroy Smart’s “No Love,” the instrumental used for Horace Andy’s “Zion Gate"; and Don Carlos’s “Ababajoni,” which derives from Jackie Mittoo and Vin Gordon’s “Real Rock” instrumental.

As previewed on BBC Radio by David Rodigan and Huey Morgan.

Official release date: 3 November 2023 on 17 North Parade Records

:heart:

5 Likes

Have a listen to anything by Mac McAnally…he’s one of JBs Coral Reef Band and a great singer songwriter. I first discovered him doing a free midsummer gig in Anchorage Alaska
2018. He’s a great storyteller, live album Live In Muscle Shoals is brilliant, great songs and lots of humour.

1 Like

The Six o’Clock News on BBC R4 FM where I have learned from Caroline Nicholls that live ‘bongs’ have returned to BBC news bulletins at 6pm and midnight.

Repair work which started in 2017 has been completed on the clock in the Elizabeth Tower at the Palace of Westminster, and microphones reinstalled.

I’m working away from home at the moment but looking forward to hearing live bongs again via my glorious NAT05 when I return.

C.
(Keeping it niche.)

4 Likes

I belief the first time I have listened to this one…

8 Likes

6 Likes

Amon Düül II | Phallus Dei | 1969
Very much ‘out there’ in the day and into their experimental, improvisational and of course psychedelic music. Fine front runners of the genre.

10 Likes

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds. Superb sounding record

7 Likes

cover

2 Likes

So far I have only listened to the studio albums, which have great sq and the vinyl is flat and glitch free. The presentation of the box is of a very high quality, the box contains an inner box which holds three books, one book contains the studio albums, the second book the live albums and singles & b sides, 11 albums on 15 discs, the third is a book with pictures of the band, posters, tickets and other ephemera, through the years along with the album track listings. The only downside is that there are no album covers or even pictures of the album covers in the book and the whole thing weighs an absolute ton, saves going to the gym. I had all of the Eagles albums on cd but this box set blows the cd’s away.

Eagles (1972)
Desperado (1973)
On The Border (1974)
One of These Nights (1975)
Hotel California (1976)
The Long Run (1979)
Long Road Out of Eden– Double LP (2007)

Eagles Live– Double LP (1980)
Hell Freezes Over– Double LP (1994)
Millennium Concert– Double LP (2000)
Singles and B-Sides (2018)

8 Likes

Roger Waters, TDSOTM redux. :smiling_face:

15 Likes

PAVEL HAAS QUARTET - SHOSTAKOVICH
STRING QUARTETS 2 7 8

Really enjoy this, especially the 8th

7 Likes

Madison Cunningham - Revealer - Qobuz 24/96
A new artist to me, in a Q&A last week Richard Thompson name-checked her as a young artist he’d enjoy collaborating with, so thought I’d have a listen. Well written songs, really enjoyable music with varying time signatures and interesting guitar tunings, lovely voice with a hint of breathiness. I really enjoyed this as a high class singer songwriter guitarist album.

6 Likes

Hi Bob, I have a few of Mac’s Albums including the live in Muscle Shoals, You’re right, it’s a great album, and he’s a great singer songwriter. I had a bit of a JB morning, he’s going to be missed, envy you seeing Mac live, sadly something I haven’t done.

1 Like

I love Alkan’s piano music. Never knew he did a cello sonata! I’ll look out for that!

1 Like

I have this somewhere. Big fan of Joe Walsh especially Barnstorm, his first solo album.

3 Likes