What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Follow on from yesterdays post…

Michael Smith - Mi Cyann Believe It (UMG/Island re issue 2023)

I saw that UMG are re issuing ten albums for Black History Month including this absolute Jamaican Dub Poetry classic. So yesterday I dug out my original 1982 press of the album, see the link for the info and more about Michael Smith that I posted yesterday…

Anyway the re issue piqued my interest as these titles are cut and mastered at Abbey Rd and this one has been extended with four of the instrumental cuts produced by Dennis Bovell with The Dub Band, members of Aswad and others.
Perhaps predictably its not as good sounding as my original and the instrumental cuts I note are tagged on to the end of each side and sound like there cut at slightly less volume to the rest of the album which make them sound a little anti climactic.
On its own merit the sound is probably OK and the pressing is good, so probably still worth checking in the abscence of a good clean original, especially if Dub Poetry like Linton Kwesi Johnson, Mutabaruka etc is up your street.

:heart:

3 Likes

Jackanory time. Some story telling from the gravel-voiced one. Tom Waits Blue Valentine.

“and Charlie, hey
I’ll be eligible for parole
Come Valentine’s Day”

The classic ending to Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis

11 Likes

Good old Humph too :heart:

1 Like

Dark Side of the Moon 50th Anniversary Edition
First play

21 Likes

I haven’t played my 1973 vinyl for quite some time, but it never sounded this good.
It’s quite remarkable how right they got this pressing and yet how wrong they got the recent Animals release.
This is absolutely perfect :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Brewers Droop - The Blues Brothers - CD

Produced by Dave Edmunds and featuring a young Mark Knopfler

4 Likes

On CD - booklet signed for me by Andrew.

9 Likes

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Independant Intavenshan (Island Chronicles 2CD)

More crucial Dub Poetry from the great LKJ aided and abetted by The Dub Band with Dennis Bovell at the controls.
Superb cherry pick of LKJ’s recordings for Island.

Rather sad when you consider these poems to be still so strikingly relevant and cutting to the present, as much so as they were then.

7 Likes

Santana | Abraxas | 1970
Yet another album that needed the dust blowing off it and this MoFi DSD64 does sound very good to my ears.

15 Likes

Many many moons ago, I’m sure I used to see him busking behind Brighton’s Churchill Square as Howlin’ Wilf And The Vee Jays

1 Like

Best band in the world. I am biased of course.

12 Likes

Nice to have another member in the MA camp.

Now playing…

John Scofield - Uncle John’s Band

John Scofield (Guitar), Vicente Archer (Double Bass) and Bill Stewart (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… after a long sleep in kicking off the day with a new release from John and he, Vicente and Bill are sounding sublime!

6 Likes

They are all quite brilliant, but this is my favourite SD album. Sublime.

16 Likes

Mark Knopfler - Shangri-La - CD

From a young Mark to an established Mark

20 Likes

Does that mean he started off as a no Mark? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

One of Joe Walsh’s greatest riffs. Brilliant track imho. 1970. CD.

11 Likes

He’s certainly left his Mark now :grin:

1 Like

You can’t go wrong with the Duke, especially paired with the Hawk:

19 Likes