What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

You lead, we follow. Baaaa!

3 Likes

I absolutely get these simple one box systems, and they sound better than most domestic sound systems. However, I could not go back given just how delighted I am with my system of nearly 20 years. I bought my son an Atom and some bookshelf speakers. He loves that and it fits in with his lifestyle. Then he eyes my big system when he visits and wants me to leave it to him when the time comes :flushed::joy:

4 Likes

I’m absolutely certain you could; it’s simply that you don’t want to, and why should you if your big setup fits with your lifestyle?

5 Likes

Yes, my son has his eye on my hifi, and hopes when I die … “You will leave it to me won’t you”.

Well yes, of course … I replied …

Not that I have a big system … but he has grown up with it as it pre-dates his birth …

1 Like

Is there really any need for that sort of reply Nigel?

4 Likes

I am prompted to add I have often been reminded that the pictures in the Pics ‘From the Listening Position’ have a resemblance to pictures of Church interiors, and a sense of an Altar situated between the speakers, and all that entails.

1 Like

You are right Nigel, I could downsize but I don’t want to. It’s simple really. I don’t think there is much psychology going on, Naim was always a personal aspiration for me. I don’t have hifi mates and most guests know it’s always been a part of my life. It is a part of me, but so is rugby, food, dogs, wife and hopefully much more. No hifi bragging rights here. England vs Wales tomorrow with a full house and one guest Welshman is another matter…

7 Likes

Nope

It was just pondering, that’s all, with no ‘sort of’ intended. Stuart’s comment just got me thinking, my ponderings were general and in no way directed at anyone in particular.

I am reading people’s posst about downsizing with interest and some of the reasons resonate with me. I downsized 8 years ago during my cancer treatment, to a unitilite because that is what was right for me then and I can still see there are many other good reasons for doing so. I soon upgraded to a Star and was very happy with it. I never foresaw myself moving back to a multi-box system. Then covid came along, being CEV and needing to spend more time at home, I realised I missed the sonic advantages of a multi-box system so began the journey back to one. Soon I will have the 222/300 to finish off my re-upgrading. I expect this to be my last system with the caveat I might get an NC250 to replace my DR in a year or so and no doubt will replace the cartridge on my LP12 due to wear. I don’t regret the move to the Uniti range and think they are probably at the sweet spot of sonic ability against cost in the Naim range. There is no right or wrong answer to having a multi-box or single-box system, just what is right for each of us and our circumstances and I think it is important that we all remember this.

7 Likes

What an utterly bizarre post…

3 Likes

The whole thing of downsizing is appealing to reduce the box count and not take up too much space in the living room. Also it reduces the work to strip it down and clean. It probably also removes some obsessing about the end results. I thought about this for those reasons in 2021 but then saw the financial impact where I would have lost a lot of money in the process, which of course is unappealing as well as the obvious about having a worse sonic result. In the end i got it all serviced and it is still giving us the pleasure it should. I was astonished to see a year or so later the Linn akkurate DS3 that I Home demoed is on offer for nearly a third of the price from the time I demoed it. Same for the exactbox I. These were my prime motivations for not changing anything

1 Like

Welcome back HH, we missed you…back to your old ways…some things never change it seems…

5 Likes

Without wishing to speak on HH’s behalf I suspect there is a bit of self reflection in the post. I can resonate with what was said. I am very aware that I tend to upgrade when having a stressful time at work and I find the whole research, demo and gratification therapeutic, all be it expensive and counselling would be cheaper :wink:

When I am stressed is when I am usually less content with how my system sounds. If it was not for the fact I know it would not work I would be tempted to move to something simpler and get off the upgrade bandwagon!

2 Likes

Following a couple of replies that took my post in a way that wasn’t intended, I’ve edited it down to the point I was actually making, to which Stuart has already responded in good spirit. Peace and love.

5 Likes

I’ve hedged my bets. My Naim journey started with a UnitiQute2, which I upgraded to a Nova. When I decided I’d like something a bit further up the range, I kept the Nova for a second system. It’s in the lounge and is used every day - it suits the family with it’s simplicity. If I decide to downsize from the full system, I’ll have the Nova all ready to go (though I have a NDX2, so pairing that with an integrated is another option).

2 Likes

I took no offence Nigel and I have read your posts for years. You get to know when someone is having a dig and even then, life is too short. All is good in the world whether you have a big one or a small one :wink:

9 Likes

I get it about the Nova with the SCM11s, but what of the sumptuous SL2s and the glorious Allaes?.. Please don’t tell me that either is history.

But from your profile I suspect both are. If true, this makes me a bit miserable tbh, not that it’s any of my business.

Best,
Chris

Isn’t that HiFi Man rather than HiFi Dog? Dog, man. Man, dog? It’s all very discombobulating.

1 Like

Maybe. I could be a bit lost. Somebody had SL2s in the main room. And Allaes for the kids in the playroom with a UQ2. I think. I thought it was @Hifi-dog . But it could easily be that I’m not paying enough attention.

Old geezer in a muddle. Not the first time.

1 Like